Pumpkin Scissors

wolfx

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006/10/03...in-scissors-01/

Done by Gonzo, the anime takes place in a fictional setting where a war between 2 factions came to a ceasefire. The citizens of the wartorn country of the Empire try to rebuild what they can and get on with their lives. As if disease and famine wasn't a problem, some of the ex-military decided to go on a power trip and become bandits, preying on the civilian populace.

A war relief unit called the Pumpkin Scissors travel across the countryside bringing aid to those who need it. They encounter a "gentle giant" kinda guy (which seems to have a dark secret) with a large scar across his face.

This anime is awesome! Although the setting is fictional, the military hardware isn't. Weapons and tanks seem to be taken off WW2. I saw Sherman tanks, M1 Garand rifles and Nazi-like soldiers. Heck they even have German names for the units. Highly recommended to you folks. I won't say more till some of you have seen it. ;)

But 1s episode made me wanting more. Hopefully Gonzo doesn't *!@& this up.

"Pumpkin Scissors" ?

Ditto that...

How do Anime writers come up with these crazy names? Do they have like three hats with slips of paper in them with random english words that they draw out of until they get something that "sounds good" to the average Japanese?

-fishes around in hats-

Grand Bread Llama!

Blue Kitten Socks!

Hyper Plastic Taco!

:ph34r:

Maybe the japanese just take pointers from popular music. Any one of those names, "Pumpkin Scissors" included, could be the name of a rock music band. Just take a look at some of them.

The Arctic Monkeys

Hootie and the Blowfish

Echo and the Bunnymen

Stone Temple Pilots

Hell, I'd listen to a band named Hyper Plastic Taco. Who wouldn't? :)

Yeah, those names work well for gaudy rock bands... but for a group that is supposed to be a "war relief unit"? That would be like my wife calling her VA floor nurses the "Peach Microwave". Not only is it non sequitur with what they do or who they are, it's kind of offensive. I mean, would YOU want to be taken care of by a bunch of nurses called the Peach Microwave? Same thing goes for a "war relief unit" (whatever the happy hell that is) called "Pumpkin Scissors"... oh look! It's the Red Cross coming to help our war weary country!... oh... wait... it's "Pimpkin Scissors" instead.

Yeah, those names work well for gaudy rock bands... but for a group that is supposed to be a "war relief unit"? That would be like my wife calling her VA floor nurses the "Peach Microwave". Not only is it non sequitur with what they do or who they are, it's kind of offensive. I mean, would YOU want to be taken care of by a bunch of nurses called the Peach Microwave? Same thing goes for a "war relief unit" (whatever the happy hell that is) called "Pumpkin Scissors"... oh look! It's the Red Cross coming to help our war weary country!... oh... wait... it's "Pimpkin Scissors" instead.

Pink Pecker Special Forces.

vinnie

When I get back to work, I will personally suggest that we re-name our watch from the simple "B" watch to a more apppropriate anime title such as:

Metal Crisp

Glossy Petals

Hard Cup Descending

Slinky Knights

Righteous Butter

Tattoo Spoon

:p

It is a valid point though. It's hard to take something seriously when it has a ridiculous name. If HBT (SWAT) were called Stapler Dice you wouldn't initially be inclined to take them seriously not to mention you'd have no clue what they do. Hostage Breach Team describes what they do and when heard it makes you think of professionals. Pumpkin Scissors... seriously, WTF? I'd think they were a gang or a punk band and not a team dedicated to relief efforts.

well, one non silly explanation is that gourds can symbolize long life or the body in japanese mythology, so a pumpkin scissor might be taken to mean somthing that kills or cuts life.

though, this doesn't make sense in terms of a relief or humanitarian mission though... who knows.

Edited by eugimon

2nd episode, a feudal lord goes around shooting civilians down with his tank for fun and the pumpkin scissors are dispatched to right his wrongs.

Mr Gepenst Jaeger does his stuff walking up close to the tank and taking it down with his anti tank pistol. 0.o

2nd episode, a feudal lord goes around shooting civilians down with his tank for fun and the pumpkin scissors are dispatched to right his wrongs.

Mr Gepenst Jaeger does his stuff walking up close to the tank and taking it down with his anti tank pistol. 0.o

WOOOOWW!!

Sounds like a deep touching highly-dramatic well-thought-off plot-twisting brain-depriving story/script..... NOT!!!!

Guess I'll let it go unnoticed unless I get a VERY reliable recomendation for it :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Reminded by jsarclight in the KISS DUM thread,

To those who are wondering what "Pumpkin Scissors" meant, they revealed in episode 10 (i think) the origins of section 3 and why it was named Pumpkin Scissors by Alice. Very simply, Alice did an "inspiring" speech about how nobles are hard to get to.....especially if they are corrupt. They are like the thick skin of a pumpkin. Someone has to weed them out. Someone has to be the blade of the people. That will be us, the Pumpkin Scissors.

And yes it still sounds meh.

Anyway the way the series is going, the pacing is horrid. Initial episodes gave me much hope for it, but after a dramatic drop in art quality as well as really bad filler episodes, i'm close to giving up on this series. At least the latest episode 13 has a renudge up in art again.