1/55 Missile Pods - Here's How

Skull-1

I have seen folks use the 1/72 Valk Weaps Kit from Hasegawa. The problem has been how to attach the missiles to the Valk's wing so they can pivot. I have solved the problem, though other variations may exist.

Go to your local nametag store and pick up one of those small nametag magnets. They are a two piece set with metal and a magnet. Trim the metal and superglue it to the wing of the Valk where the missile pylon will be. Trim the magnet and glue it to the missile pylon. Attach as needed.

Voila!

I'll post photos shortly.

Edited by Skull-1

With a little putty and some work you can imbed the magnet inside the wing. This is actually easier than it sounds. I did it on the surface just to make it easier to take the pics....

Step Three: Attach the Magnet to the Wing and the Metal to the Pylon or vice versa. You can also core a hole into the wing and JB Weld the Magnet INSIDE the wing. This may be the best method. I left my cored out wing elsewhere so I won't be able to do it this week....but later....

post-4-1065633884.jpg

You can sand and shape the magnet/metal to the perfect size. I did this in about three minutes just to give you guys and gals the idea.... It is a really great mod. I can't wait to use it.

Not bad. My only concern about that is how long that will work for??

one would assume that as long as magnetism and the gereral rules of physics don't cease to exist... indefinately.

Not bad.  My only concern about that is how long that will work for??

one would assume that as long as magnetism and the gereral rules of physics don't cease to exist... indefinately.

I think that was in refrence to the fact that the magnet is imbeded in the wing and could punch through the other side.

SPO, there's a "HOW TO CUSTOMIZE MACROSS TOYS" forum down below. All these 1/55 threads belong in there.

Imode, not all... just the step by step ones. :)

and thank you, Skull-1... for making the toy forum not so mundane with all the 1/48 threads...

No problem.

The magnet will not punch through the wing. It is glued in place with Super Glue or JB Weld and there is plenty of surface area on top of the wing if you want it.

The magnet doesn't ever get mashed into the wing so it won't pop out.

Glad everyone likes this one. It works really well.

As long as the magnets don't "de-magnetize" over time....

Depends upon the strength of the magnet and the weight of the missiles. Normal maneuvers do not seem to cause any problems. Just keep the roll rate below 200 degrees/second and they will stay on. (IOW, don't whip it around and they stay on just fine.) I've tested this very phenomenon and they stay on through anything I would do with my toys while playing (and then some).

you will have to drill holes into the wings if you want them to close. if you just glue magnets on the wings will not be able to close anymore unless you modify the backplate assembly. unless of course you prefer the open-wing battroid look.

also, if you are attaching 3 missiles per wing...the wings get thinner near the tip so at the tips you have to be very, very careful.

As noted, they are flush with the bottom of the wing. I embedded them fully. The wings close just fine.

I plan to use the UMMs on these Valks soon... Maybe an AMRAAM or Snakeye just for fun.... Hmmmm..... :)