Google Sketchup Alpha

Ishimaru

As Topic says.

This is very difficult to do and took me 3 nights and afternoons to work on.

I dont know if I even wanna continue, 3d Max seems alot easier to work with.

alpha3ay3.jpg

It took alot of time so if their is strong enough interest I will continue to work on it.

If not I will just go 3d Max.

alpha4tq1.jpg

I was going for a Cell shaded look. Ya I know its crap but give me a break here.

Detail will be better if interest is bigger, I will continue to work on it/

Note: The upper cockpit is not done, the bottom one took forever!

Edited by Ishimaru

If you've got to fight with it to make it then thats WORK that your not getting paided for, so why put yourself through it? Especially if you've got an easier way of doing it!  :huh:

424220[/snapback]

I cannot find a easier way thats the thing. :(

I just started with google sketgup and it is indeed hard to get the desired shapes.

Hey, how did you start with the cockpit? The unfinished rear canopy looks pretty round -- i can't figure out how to get round shapes. A cylinder, yes, but a ball, no.

Edited by danth

I'm banging my head against the wall with this same issue. The only thing I can figure out to get a curve, is to use a bunch of trangles - but putting them there, and placing them correctly isn't quite something that I'm ready to takle just yet.

A ball would be really handy, as I need to make domes on a project that I'm working on...

I suggest reading the instructions and other notes that come with the programme. I've been busying myself in them, and there's a lot of things you could glean from them that are useful.

When I first got the programme (3 days ago,) I started working on a jet too. I humbly suggest starting by blocking in the larger shapes first. The cockpit/nose area is a rather time consuming area, and it's always handy to have at least the rough of a body to compare it to.

The other benefit is, because of the flat surfaces on the jet in question, everywhere but the curved nose cone/cockpit should be much, much easier and quicker to draw.

I also suggest leaving out the details until after the major shapes are completed. Prime reason is that it is really frustrating to put hours of work into great details, only to have to erase them and start over, because the area or part they were placed on never really fit into the overall model, and it had to go.

Edited by sketchley

I suggest reading the instructions and other notes that come with the programme.  I've been busying myself in them, and there's a lot of things you could glean from them that are useful.

I spent the last hour, maybe hour and a half, and I came up with this apartment.

Yeah, I watched all 7 of google's tutorials, and nothing was mentioned about polyhedrons. I'll keep looking.

When I first got the programme (3 days ago,) I started working on a jet too.  I humbly suggest starting by blocking in the larger shapes first.  The cockpit/nose area is a rather time consuming area, and it's always handy to have at least the rough of a body to compare it to.

The other benefit is, because of the flat surfaces on the jet in question, everywhere but the curved nose cone/cockpit should be much, much easier and quicker to draw.

I also suggest leaving out the details until after the major shapes are completed.  Prime reason is that it is really frustrating to put hours of work into great details, only to have to erase them and start over, because the area or part they were placed on never really fit into the overall model, and it had to go.

424535[/snapback]

Those are great bits of advice, thanks.

Edited by danth

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why can't you look for similar shapes in other sketchup models?

I mean if they exist can't you look at they way they are finished and try to figure out how they were constructed possibly?

Worse comes to worse if for personal use can't you extract the needed geometry, you just can't claim that part.

Use them as learning tools.

As for that bit about "if interest grows". Don't do something just for the approval of others. You do things like modeling or modding for yourself!

Once it stops being fun, it's time to quit...