Obscure Anime You Love

danth

-Getter Robo (any)

-Mazinger (any)

-UFO Robo Grendizer

-Super Dimensional (Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeadea 21)

-Dangaioh (original and great)

-Hades Project Zeorymer

-Megazone 23

-Gunsmith Cats

-Riding Bean

-Magic Knight Rayearth

-Sakura Taisen

-Gatchaman

-Gunm Rusty Angel

-Patlabor (ova, tv and movies)

-New Cutey Honey

-Record of the Lodoss Wars

-Detenator Orgun

-BubbleGum Crisis (Classic, Crash and 2040)

-Appleseed

-Ghost in the Shell

-Ranma 1/2

Edited by Dangaioh

Now i have to go find all these

Hades Project Zeorymer

Space Warriors Baldios

Techno Police 21C

Phoenix 2772

Urusei Yatsura

Bastard OVA

Dangaioh OVA

Fire Tripper OVA

GunBuster OVA –

GUNNM

Iczer-1 OVA -

Laughing Target OVA –

Kimagure Orange Road tv, OVAs, movie -

Mermaid Forest/Mermaid Scar OVAs - Ninja Scroll and Wicked City movies -

Patlabor tv,

Dangaioh

Royal Space Force: Wings Of Honneamise

Devil Hunter Yohko

Big Wars

candy candy,

star zinger,

Kotetsu Jeeg,

Magnetorobo Ga-Keen,

captain future,

captain harlock,

queen millenia,

Ulysse 31

Maison Ikkoku.

Blazing Exchange Student (OVA)

Space Cobra (TV series)

Riding Bean (OVA)

Space Pirate Captain Harlock (TV)

Technovoyager, aka Thunderbirds 2086 (TV)

Horus Prince of the Sun -

Future Boy Conan - Miyazaki TV series from '77.

Hamelin the Violinist -

Uninhabited Planet, Survive! -

Bakuen Campus Guardress –

Pale Cocoon"

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Kino's Journey

Black Magic M66

Detonator Orgun.

Gall Force

Madoka

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Not super old and not obscure to non-Americans:

Saint Seiya- Made the doujinshi industry what it is today. Has a big following to this day. Still makes toys for the series, with Bandai doing what Yamato has done for the VF-1, re-doing, resculpting, and breathing life into old designs to create better toys. Is still producing sequels/prequels. Is very 80s-ish, and would have done well in the US had it been shown in the 80s like all the other countries. But the manga is better, because damn do I hate filler stuff. :p

I will say that besides the obvious favs, I'd add Gall Force as mentioned above.

I love it for the mechanical designs, and for what it could have been.

The basic outline of the story (at least for part one) is pretty interesting, but the movies don't deliver like they should.

423578[/snapback]

Dude...I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'd love to see a longer Gall Force series, preferably a prequel with the original cast. I want to see all the adventures they had before Eternal Story. Like, in space. I don't know why the hell they made an post-apocalypse-earth segment for Gall Force. It's supposed to be chicks in space with cool mecha, dammit.

Not super old and not obscure to non-Americans:

Saint Seiya- Made the doujinshi industry what it is today.  Has a big following to this day.  Still makes toys for the series, with Bandai doing what Yamato has done for the VF-1, re-doing, resculpting, and breathing life into old designs to create better toys.  Is still producing sequels/prequels.  Is very 80s-ish, and would have done well in the US had it been shown in the 80s like all the other countries.  But the manga is better, because damn do I hate filler stuff. :p

423612[/snapback]

My favorite thing about Saint Seiya was Phoenix. I loved that he hit people so hard that they'd start hallucinating. Comedy gold any time it ended really bad for the recipient of the hit (which was every time). For example, a guy realizing he was submerged in lava and on fire after dreaming about being in a hot tub surrounded by naked women. :lol:

-"Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu" (The jungle was great, until Guu came). Available on DVD in the US now. Watch it. Laugh your ass off. Flaunt your chest hair whenever Chuoru flaunts his, Then wait patiently for Jungle Deluxe and Jungle Final OVAs to be released here.

-"Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of a Heroic Knight" I must be the only person on this planet that preferred this to the original series. Parn was a little less of a pussy, Deedlit was still hot, and the SD shorts at the end of each episode are comic gold.

-"Casshan: Robot Hunter" Can we say "Rockman X"? Maybe he isn't, but that's sure as heck what he looks like to me... and he's fighting a robot army to boot! I always liked it.

Edited by Skull Leader

Bannou Bunka Nekomusume (All Cultural Cat Girl Nukunuku) the original OVA. Loved it since I first saw it. :) Didn't like anyof the later series though. :p I couldnt bear to watch the tv series, and the ova with superhero Nukunuku I couldn't watch past the first episode. :p

Bannou Bunka Nekomusume (All Cultural Cat Girl Nukunuku) the original OVA.  Loved it since I first saw it. :)  Didn't like anyof the later series though. :p  I couldnt bear to watch the tv series, and the ova with superhero Nukunuku I couldn't watch past the first episode. :p

423865[/snapback]

Yay! Me too!

Genocyber

423933[/snapback]

That's another really messed-up show. I still wonder what the creators were smoking at the time they came up with that. Not to say that it's bad, mind you. Just really, really, really weird. With great mecha designs.

423988[/snapback]

I wouldn't say 'really' messed-up. I'd say it's about NGE level messed-up at most because it pulls the wonky move of the cycle of rebirth on you at the end. Throw in all the grey areas and you just don't know what to think sometimes. Lots of nice designs and plenty of over-the-top action makes it WIN for me! :D

I'd like to get Orange Road, but it's costly and even the subs are hard to find.

AlienNine was a nice little 1 disc niche anime that totally needed a series behind it!

Dragon Half!  Craziest series I've seen until I ran into Excel Saga.  Always great for laughs. :)  Especially Damuramu, voiced by the same seiyuu as Snake from the MGS series!

423994[/snapback]

ach, no!!! It took me forever to get Mink's "hueh!! hueh!!!"" outa my mind after I saw it years ago, now you just had to go and bring it all back :rolleyes:

Dragon Half!  Craziest series I've seen until I ran into Excel Saga.  Always great for laughs. :)  Especially Damuramu, voiced by the same seiyuu as Snake from the MGS series!

423994[/snapback]

ach, no!!! It took me forever to get Mink's "hueh!! hueh!!!"" outa my mind after I saw it years ago, now you just had to go and bring it all back :rolleyes:

424075[/snapback]

Every time I see "Dragon Half" I immediatly think of "Dragon Knight". That's good due to the tagline alone: "Chivarly is dead. Meet the man who killed it."

-"Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu" (The jungle was great, until Guu came). Available on DVD in the US now. Watch it. Laugh your ass off. Flaunt your chest hair whenever Chuoru flaunts his, Then wait patiently for Jungle Deluxe and Jungle Final OVAs to be released here.

I never thought I'd see another series as downright bizarre as Childs Toy, but then I saw this. I think Childs Toy has the edge in character development, but Guu just about shaves it in the Bizarro-stakes.

Dragon-Half is great. Shame they only made so few episodes.

A lot of stuff, mostly giant robot has been mentioned before so i wont add to it, but I will give a shout to my #2 anime right behind Macross, Future Grand Prix Cyber Formula.

Fast cars, good music, entertaining and interesting characters that never gets as formulaic as most racing serious ive seen (Initial D) with the main character going up and down constantly and not always winning. Also car designs by Shoji Kawamori make it the win!