Destroid Phalanx References

Hi all.

I was scouring the internet for good images of the Destroids; particularly the phalanx, and strangely enough I seem to be coming up rather short.

As it were, I'm looking to bolster the visual reference I have on the Phalanx in order to arm myself with the best possible references for my upcoming scratchbuild... Don't suppose anyone would know of any links with good Destroid immagery?

That's a nice phalanx image.

Captain America, I suggest looking through the Macross World model pages (available off of the main page) for more images. There's a load of good artwork available.

Also try (you'll need to search for it):

http://www.orbital-art.net/unspacy_qmtdb/

http://un-spacy-qmtdb.com/macross_page/macross_index.html

and

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/sdr-04-mk12.htm (only one image, sadly)

Edited by sketchley

::pokes his head into the thread::

Ok,

I was wondering why the official notes (from Egan Loo's Macross Compendium) for the Phalanx say 2x22 missiles when (to the best of my knowledge) every screen shot shows that the Phalanx should load 2x28 missiles (in the Tv series, I have no clue about DYRL). I ask this because of the ongoing 'discussion' over mecha capabilities, performance and weapons loadouts over at Palladium concerning the future of the Robotech RPG license (yes, boo and hiss at me later, this will benefit you Macross fans in the end).

To illustrate that point, here are 2 screen caps from the Tv series....

Phalanx screen capture from eps. #27

Phalanx screen capture from eps. #31 (I think)

Now, I know both Robotech.com and Palladium goofed as far as the missile types, being short range (I guess the same type carried by the other Destroids, no clue) and not long-range. That will likely change and they will be brought more into line with the OSM notes, though the loadout will probably be 2x28 instead of 2x22.

Question - who animated what episodes and how close were they to the original line-art and other specifications?

I'm guessing that the second image was done by anime friend and is less accurate, with the first image done by Studio Nue.

The first image also has 22 of the "real" missiles that the Phalanx carries, with a few (5 to be specific) missiles of some smaller class also crammed in.

Personally, I'd go with the compendium unless proved otherwise (as in the number of missiles on the VF-4... but that's another story.)

Page 163 of Macross Perfect Memory lists the Phalanx as having 22x2 missiles. I don't think it gets any more official than that. ;)

Now, a real question - to me it looks like the missile pods are attached by 3-clips around the outskirt of the missile launcher proper. I have the suspicion that the launcher itself is designed to be easily detatched and replaced; for quick turn-around times when a reload is needed.

What are your thoughts on those clip-like things around the missile launcher (mid-point on the 'arm' assembly - best seen in the line-art!)

Actually, that's exactly what I thought the 3 clips on the outer rim of the missile pods were: it seems only right that the unit be designed for the fastest possible reloading.

As for payload, I look at the Phalanx the way I would any existing weapons platform, and assume that it most likely has great flexibility in terms of its payload to suit a particular combat scenario.

I'm not saying that it can't hold more. I'm just saying that Studio Nue released resources state that it holds 22x2.

Obviously from the animation, they can cram in more small missiles in between the larger ones.

Now... some interesting things about the Phalanx are the different heads that it has. I don't have time to sort through my image files, but believe you me, there are at least three alternate Phalanx heads. One is a gun pod, one is a missile launcher, and one is a differently arrange searchlight type head.

If you count the 'battle damaged and repaired' ones that showed up in the 'Force of Arms' episode, than there is a 4th alternate head as well...

Now... some interesting things about the Phalanx are the different heads that it has.  I don't have time to sort through my image files, but believe you me, there are at least three alternate Phalanx heads.  One is a gun pod, one is a missile launcher, and one is a differently arrange searchlight type head.

Hmm..interesting. That I didn't know.

Now... some interesting things about the Phalanx are the different heads that it has.  I don't have time to sort through my image files, but believe you me, there are at least three alternate Phalanx heads.  One is a gun pod, one is a missile launcher, and one is a differently arrange searchlight type head.

Hmm..interesting. That I didn't know.

419728[/snapback]

It actually makes sense that the Phalanx varies so much.

According to the Compendium, it was a rushed hackjob that was created aboard the Macross(likely as a supplement to it's minimal anti-mecha defenses).

So rather than building each one to spec, it makes sense that they would use whatever spares they had to make Phalanxes, or tweak the design as deficiencies appeared.

The spec is just the "ideal" Phalanx.

Edited by JB0

I'm not sure IF the alternate Phalanx head types were created during SWI (except for the hack-job one in that one episode.) Nevertheless, the other heads are definitely available after the end of SWI.

I'm of the opinion that once the war was over, and things begain to stabilize themselves for humanity*, designers went over the war footage, and started tweaking it.

*I'm deliberately being vague here. It could've happened right away (as in when the Factory Satellite was retrieved) or a few months or even years later.)

And here are the images. Had time to search for them.

Note: I didn't do the translations and the images are 'as is.' The Studio Nue line-art backs up the 4 panel LIDAR, and 55 mm gun attachment. I haven't found supporting line-art for the missile launcher head - though that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. ;)

Edited by sketchley

I'm along the thoughts that the artists had "four martini lunches." That's why the varied missile numbers! :) Actually the other sketch versions of the heads are in the Macross Hobby Handbook towards the back. I'd scan them, but they might come out funny since they are blue on yellow backrounds. PM me if you want them. - MT

I cant wait to see this Cap. I still cry myself to sleep thinking about my Legioss you were gonna make.

421933[/snapback]

I cry myself to sleep till today for the same reason.

I had money put aside for two, and by all means I was gonna buy the third.

I still imagine owing Stick, Rei and Fuke Legiosses at that scale and whith such über details :(

Perhaps one day...