Aircraft Vs Thread 3

Which is why the US has stayed with the very proven M61 since the F-15's new gun never worked out. We could use the M61 for the next couple of decades. Problems crop up whenever they want to reinvent the gun and integrate it afterwards. Taking an established gun, and designing it into the plane to start with---never heard of any problems with that.

I don't have time tonight to explain this but I am in touch with TD Barnes of Roadrunners Internationale (he CC'd his e-mail to a half dozen other A-12, YF-12, and SR-71 pilots) and I received an e-mail this evening from Ken Collins who was both an A-12 and SR-71 pilot. Funny thing is that this just started out with me researching the fate of the second YF-23 about 36 hours ago. :D

All right I whipped this up over a few hours tonight. Basically a few touch ups to the VFC-11 scheme to make it look like a proper sundowners aircraft. The changes I made are actually pretty minimal but I think it really makes the aircraft look several times better. There's some minor changes to the geometry of the sundown pattern and it's wreathed in gold now (similar to the F-14 scheme). The red fin cap is back along with much bigger tailcodes in red. The sharkmouth and eyes are a little larger. All modex's and squadron markings are slightly larger and written in a more fitting font (AmarilloUSAF, I'm not sure if that's the exact font the Navy uses but it's close enough to look much better). Finally the blue sections of the US roundels are now much darker, the original looked far too faded.

post-752-1174029721_thumb.jpg

And it's not like guns are some finicky, unreliable, hard-to-integrate and maintain technology that adds a lot of development time and costs.

That's not always the case. I seem to remember reading on f-16.net that Vipers try to avoid firing their gun in peacetime because the vibration wreaks havoc on the bulkheads and structural supports around it. And they've never found a decent gun gas purge system for the A-10 that doesn't shake the plane to pieces.

I figured Nied would have his own version soon. Here's someone's from ARC---more forward, and lower sun. And a IMHO really kick-ass way to do it in low-vis---the low-vis "two-tone rays" has already been sent to the squadron CO. (While everyone at ARC likes the fact that the Sundowners are back with full colors, nobody thinks the squadron did a very good job with the tail--and the weird fonts don't help) He's not finished, so no sharkmouths.

PS to Nied--the official Navy font is "USN Long Beach" if you want to look for it.

That's not always the case. I seem to remember reading on f-16.net that Vipers try to avoid firing their gun in peacetime because the vibration wreaks havoc on the bulkheads and structural supports around it. And they've never found a decent gun gas purge system for the A-10 that doesn't shake the plane to pieces.

The Russians had this problem with a gatling-type gun they developed for the MiG-27. It was so powerful that bits would literally fall off the aeroplane when it was fired; one report even mentions the entire instrument panel breaking loose!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I figured Nied would have his own version soon. Here's someone's from ARC---more forward, and lower sun. And a IMHO really kick-ass way to do it in low-vis---the low-vis "two-tone rays" has already been sent to the squadron CO. (While everyone at ARC likes the fact that the Sundowners are back with full colors, nobody thinks the squadron did a very good job with the tail--and the weird fonts don't help) He's not finished, so no sharkmouths.

PS to Nied--the official Navy font is "USN Long Beach" if you want to look for it.

Yeah I saw Trigger's schemes right after I finished mine. Funnilly enough it looks like we used the exact same F-5 line drawing (which is inacurate, it's an F-5A instead of an F-5E). Interestingly enough he's having the same problem I had in trying to integrate the tailcode. He covered it by painting the right side of the plane instead of the left like I did, but I don't know if he'll be able to get something consistent on the left side (I'll be mighty impressed if he does). I tired to do something like that but finally threw in the towel and just superimposed it F-14 style (hardly a bad thing, the F-14 scheme and the rainbow tailed F-4 scheme are tied for my favorite Sundowners scheme). You can re-post my scheme at ARC if you want.

I received this e-mail from A-12 pilot Ken Collins this morning:

Richard, I knew Ben Rich personally. He did not let Jim Goodall in the door. In fact, Goodall was barred from Lockheed. Jim told people that he knew Ben and that he was to be allowed to have pictures and some were "stolen"; some employees were fired.

Think about it, The Skunk Works was a highly classified area, mostly at Lockheed's insistence. Goodall had no clearances. Goodall came to my office telling me that he talked to Ben Rich and Bill Park and had their approval. Not so.

Since I've been reading Mr. Goodall's books for nearly 20 years and have been somewhat a fan and that he had the credentials of having conducted the first public interview with an F-117 pilot back in 1990, this was pretty shocking and dismaying to hear this. Regardless of how strong or weak of a case the MANG Museum has in keeping this aircraft, Jim Goodall's past and current actions and behavior is a detrament to their cause.

Edited by Apollo Leader

http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/article128.html

My pictures are up on the site! Go down to where it does a picture scroll showing A-12 Article 128 being disassembled in Minneapolis and eventually turns into the pictures I took on March 14th. Definitely an honor and privelage to have had an involvement with the Roadrunners official site but to have had the chance to comminicate with some of the pilots and participants of one of the most fantastic and mysterious aircraft ever built. :)

It really wouldn't surprise me if the F-22 is also produced for Japan.

- Japan has a history of using alot of US aircraft after WWII.

- Japan is considered an ally of the US.

- Japan's proximity to North Korea and China.

- More numbers to F-22 production. Maybe it will drive the cost / unit down? I know the USAF had been slashing numbers on the total Raptors it will end up with as time progressed.

- Japan's got the money also.

Edited by Warmaker

Nope, no different than say, mirrored sunglasses. It's an anti-IR coating.

It's very similar to the stuff on F-16's, it just seems to "glint gold" from a wider range of angles. F-18's have a less obvious version (you need the perfect lighting angle to see it, and it's only on the later C/D's, and Supers).

The reflective gold tint on the Raptor's canopy - does it give the pilot that tinted view of the world outside as well? Curious. It really sticks out when the Raptor is flying alongside the older birds.

The gold tinted canopies of stealth aircraft like the F-22, F-117, etc. are intended to keep radar signals from entering into the cockpit which happens to be a big contributor to an aircraft's RCS.

A350 fuselage is only about 10 inches wider than the other Airbus widebodies (excluding the A380), so it SHOULD fit inside the A300-600ST. Little-known fact: The A300, 310, 330, and 340, all have the exact same nose and fuselage. Only the tail/wings/length varies between them (and there's a lot of sharing amongst that, too).

I still wonder why Boeing went with a swinging-tail design on the 747LCA.

Eurofighter Typhoon with Meteor

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

First pakistani JF-17:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by joseph

The JF-17 looks a lot slimmer in those pictures than I've seen in previous images.

From an aesthetical PoV that's a good thing. ;)

Anyone wanting to take bets which aircraft will fill JSDAF's F-X requirement? :D

Hmm.. I wouldn't mind seeing 'sort of' F-15E/SMT's flying around, as Kawamori figured per Patlabor 2. :p

Not the most likely proposition though, but I reckon an F-15E derrivative might still be a likely candidate, though the F-22 and Typhoon seem to the most favoured aircraft in terms of performance.

Edited by T.V.

The JF-17 looks a lot slimmer in those pictures than I've seen in previous images.

From an aesthetical PoV that's a good thing. ;)

Anyone wanting to take bets which aircraft will fill JSDAF's F-X requirement? :D

Hmm.. I wouldn't mind seeing 'sort of' F-15E/SMT's flying around, as Kawamori figured per Patlabor 2. :p

Not the most likely proposition though, but I reckon an F-15E derrivative might still be a likely candidate, though the F-22 and Typhoon seem to the most favoured aircraft in terms of performance.

I'd love to see Typhoons in JASDF service, they have some interesting colour schemes. On that note, I saw a short clip of a Typhoon being put through its paces the other day and I think they should stuff the low-viz schemes, and make black the official Typhoon colour. It looks mean as hell in black. :)