Aircraft Vs Thread 3

I hope Iran buys a bunch. Mig 35 that is.... haven't looked at the stats, but what's so different about the Mig 35 vs the standard Mig 29?

The Mig-35 is basically the Mig29M1/M2/OVT/MRCA. I think they renamed it to Mig-35 for better marketing.

Sounds more valuable/advanced if its a Mig3x instead of a Mig2x I suppose.

Its got full 3D thrust vectoring and fly-by-wire and new avionics compared to the earlier Mig-29.

edit: The extra lumps bring to mind the Bf-109 G series.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

The Mig-35 is basically the Mig29M1/M2/OVT/MRCA. I think they renamed it to Mig-35 for better marketing.

Sounds more valuable/advanced if its a Mig3x instead of a Mig2x I suppose.

Its got full 3D thrust vectoring and fly-by-wire and new avionics compared to the earlier Mig-29.

edit: The extra lumps bring to mind the Bf-109 G series.

Will it be more capable than the MIG-29K/MIG-33 that India is getting? I heard that was more likened to a navalized MIG-29M

Will it be more capable than the MIG-29K/MIG-33 that India is getting? I heard that was more likened to a navalized MIG-29M

They'll be pretty similar.

They're both based on the earlier K and M series and have certain structural and systems commonalities.

Infact, the commonality is one of the selling points for the MiG-35, since India is already slated to operate the MiG-33.

They're as much alike as the basic Su-27 and the Su-33 (Su-27K) are.

So much aviation humor, yet it rarely shows up in this thread. That said:

The different takeoff procedures of military aviators

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Naval Aviator: On a carrier, the Naval Aviator looks over at the Catapult Officer ("Shooter") who gives the run up engines signal by rotating his finger above his head.. The pilot pushes the throttle forward, verifies all flight controls are operational, checks all gauges, and gives the Cat officer a brisk salute, continuing the Navy / Marine tradition of asking permission to leave the ship. The Cat officer drops to one knee while swooping his arm forward and pointing down deck, granting that permission. The pilot is immediately catapulted and becomes airborne.

Air Force Pilot: We've all seen Air Force pilots at the air force base look up just before taxiing for takeoff and the ground crew waits until the pilot's thumb is sticking straight up. The crew chief then confirms that he sees the thumb, salutes, and the Air Force pilot then takes off. This time-tested tradition is the last link in the Air Force safety net to confirm that the pilot does not have his thumb up his ass.

Army Aviator: If you've ever seen an Army helicopter pilot preparing for takeoff, you will note that the pilot gives the ground guy a thumbs up before he is given hover and takeoff signals. There are two theories about the origin of this gesture. One is that it is to show that the pilot has identified which of his fingers is the thumb so that he will be able to properly operate his controls. The most compelling theory says that this is to show the ground crewman that the pilot indeed knows which direction is up.

The A can be upgraded to the A+, which actually makes it the best of the Legacy Hornets according to some.

Avionics of the latest-version C, but lower weight, and the latest engines means it has the best avionics+best thrust/weight ratio. The US was quite late in switching over to the better engines, so not many USN C-models have them. But the A's engines are getting old, so they need new ones--so they get the latest version.

Basically--while your average C model has the original avionics, plus dozens of new little black boxes stuffed in every cavity they can find with not an inch to spare--the A+ model basically has "every upgrade the C model ever had" in a single box.

While it was originally believed the A+ could be easily identified by the IFF bird slicers on the nose, VFA-201's A+'s do not have them. Might be the only squadron like that, or they had an "incomplete" upgrade.

A big part of the reason for the A+ program is that the C models are actually getting old---due to so many combat ops in recent years, many of the C models are running out of trap-life----carrier traps are far harder on a plane than flying hours. But with so many of the A's sent to the reserves at a relatively young age due to the introduction of the C model--they may have more hours than the C's, but far fewer carrier landings. And so they're thinking about converting even more A's to A+'s, and using them to replace some C models. Very few C-model squadrons are getting E models, the few that are generally have very late-model C's that will get passed down to the not-so-late C squadrons, and the oldest C squadrons will get the A+.

The A can be upgraded to the A+, which actually makes it the best of the Legacy Hornets according to some.

Avionics of the latest-version C, but lower weight, and the latest engines means it has the best avionics+best thrust/weight ratio. The US was quite late in switching over to the better engines, so not many USN C-models have them. But the A's engines are getting old, so they need new ones--so they get the latest version.

Basically--while your average C model has the original avionics, plus dozens of new little black boxes stuffed in every cavity they can find with not an inch to spare--the A+ model basically has "every upgrade the C model ever had" in a single box.

While it was originally believed the A+ could be easily identified by the IFF bird slicers on the nose, VFA-201's A+'s do not have them. Might be the only squadron like that, or they had an "incomplete" upgrade.

A big part of the reason for the A+ program is that the C models are actually getting old---due to so many combat ops in recent years, many of the C models are running out of trap-life----carrier traps are far harder on a plane than flying hours. But with so many of the A's sent to the reserves at a relatively young age due to the introduction of the C model--they may have more hours than the C's, but far fewer carrier landings. And so they're thinking about converting even more A's to A+'s, and using them to replace some C models. Very few C-model squadrons are getting E models, the few that are generally have very late-model C's that will get passed down to the not-so-late C squadrons, and the oldest C squadrons will get the A+.

Also (if Mislovrit was asking specifically about RAAF legacy Hornets) the RAAF put it's F/A-18As through a similar programme which IIRC was called HUG (Hornet UpGrade). It's broadly similar to an F/A-18A+ but with some added structural strengthening and ASRAAM support.

Oooh, ASRAAM's on a Hornet. Can they work with Sidewinder rails, or what? Surely they can use the LAU-115 as a parent pylon to do dual-rails for the ASRAAM. Any more specs of the HUG programme? Did it get the new engines? Because if those are the originals, they're probably down to 15,000lbs or worse now. (Hornet engines are weird--they are designed to reference throttle position to EGT to the exclusion of all else, for long life and to keep maintenance intervals the same throughout its life---so as they age, the RPM's and thrust gradually decrease compared to the EGT--so 100% throttle gives a little less thrust every day) I know of at least one occurance of someone demanding new engines for their "used" Hornet purchase, due to the whole "loss of thrust as it ages" issue.

I'm pretty sure the ASRAAM was designed to use the exact same rails as the Sidewinder so I don't think there's any need for different rails. Here's a good rundown of the HUG program. I'm not seeing any engine upgrades, just structural and avionics, I could have sworn I read about the RAAF buying new engines too, though it may not have been part of the HUG program. There's some good shots of ASRAAMs mounted on RAAF Hornets here. I'm sure more can be found at places like airliners.net but I'm at work so I don't have a lot of time to look them up.

Speaking of which, I find that nowadays, everything is so streamlined and budgy and bumpy here and there, there's really no "sexy" planes anymore. Nothing like the simple brutality of the F4U Corsair, or the ride-the-rocket of the F4 Phantom II, or the rarin'-to-go of the F-14 Tomcat, or even the big-badness of the Flankers. Just sleek lines and bumps and budges nowadays.

Speaking of which, I find that nowadays, everything is so streamlined and budgy and bumpy here and there, there's really no "sexy" planes anymore. Nothing like the simple brutality of the F4U Corsair, or the ride-the-rocket of the F4 Phantom II, or the rarin'-to-go of the F-14 Tomcat, or even the big-badness of the Flankers. Just sleek lines and bumps and budges nowadays.

Well, technically you can't have streamlined and bumpy in 1 package. But if you are talking about bits sticking or protruding out all over the place (like in the Mig-35 earlier) then yes, thats how it goes.

The F-22 doesn't seem to have too many 'bumps' yet.

Cool picture since it's definitely not an everyday thing! The pilot can add to his bragging rights on also having a trap on one of the USN's big, honkin' carriers.

Edit to add: He doesn't have his tailhook down on this one though, so it's not a "trap" for this picture, just a touch and go.

Edited by Warmaker

Also (if Mislovrit was asking specifically about RAAF legacy Hornets) the RAAF put it's F/A-18As through a similar programme which IIRC was called HUG (Hornet UpGrade). It's broadly similar to an F/A-18A+ but with some added structural strengthening and ASRAAM support.

Actually I was more interested if production of the Legacy Hornets would continue or would it be a dead bug once all of the serving Hornets run out of hours. Same question for the single seat F-15s as well.

Legacy Hornet stopped production when the first Super Hornet was built. There was no overlap in production. Went right from one to the other.

AFAIK, single-seat F-15 is dead. You can still order an air-to-air optimized F-15 instead of a Strike Eagle, but it'll have 2 seats. The F-15S order was originally going to be split between strike and air-optimized versions, but ended up as all-strike.

You will never, except in extreme circumstances, see any foreign aircraft actually land on a US carrier. They can do touch and goes to their hearts content so long as the ship allows it but to actually trap, nope. The main reason for this is that unless it is an american built plane it probably does not use the same carrier launch hardware. The Rafale might, but earlier Dassault carrier birds used that launch strap instead of a launch bar and no carrier maintains them.

You will never, except in extreme circumstances, see any foreign aircraft actually land on a US carrier. They can do touch and goes to their hearts content so long as the ship allows it but to actually trap, nope. The main reason for this is that unless it is an american built plane it probably does not use the same carrier launch hardware. The Rafale might, but earlier Dassault carrier birds used that launch strap instead of a launch bar and no carrier maintains them.

I believe the Rafale has a launch bar specifically so that it can cross deck with US carriers, though I'm having a batty of a time finding a photo to illustrate this.