Gundam...

I've realized that there are like a bazillion Gundam toys and models. Now I won't pretend to believe they don't look cool, some of them wicked-cool. But, a friend of mine had me sit through some Gundam series like 3 years ago, with some "Hiro Yui" guy in it. I was not impressed. It was boring. Really slow and boring. I also bought a used Gundam video game for PS2 once. And it was boring. Really slow and boring.

So... are there some amazingly complex and cool Gundam animes out there that I am not aware of? How is the popularity of something so bland perpetuated? My guess is the amazing models kits you can get. But I'd really like someone who knows more to explain THIS one to me.

Why the hell did you watch Gundam Wing? That was your mistake. Go watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 movie trilogy or Gundam 08th MS Team or something. And do not expect anything particularly good from a Gundam video game.

Why the hell did you watch Gundam Wing? That was your mistake. Go watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 movie trilogy or Gundam 08th MS Team or something. And do not expect anything particularly good from a Gundam video game.

409924[/snapback]

Well it wasn't MY fault... my buddy told me it was just SO cool. I don't think he's seen any other gundam series. He did make me watch the gundam "wing" or whatever movie. That sucked too.

TO ADD: If I still lived in the same state as the guy I'd make him watch Berserk so he could have a GOOD series to immerse himself in.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Many old U.C. Gundam shows are very cool. But you have to be open to 70s & 80s style animation, compare to all the flashy stuff we are more used to seeing today. While Wing is good for making the U.S. market familiarized with the Gundam franchise, its one of the few Gundam shows that I actually don't want to watch. When a supposedly serious & very deadly military machines called Gundam uses a dragon head as a weapon or dress like a vampire, you know something is not right. :lol:

Edited by mpchi

I totally agree!

08th ms team and gundam 0083 star dust are the best. the reason being is that they stay away from giving gundams to stupid ass children who always have ideological problems with fighting wars BIG BORE!!!!!! <_<

you'll see that there is alot more going on in these two series,

I like the mech design of gundam seed but i hate the cheezy animation.

I've realized that there are like a bazillion Gundam toys and models. Now I won't pretend to believe they don't look cool, some of them wicked-cool. But, a friend of mine had me sit through some Gundam series like 3 years ago, with some "Hiro Yui" guy in it. I was not impressed. It was boring. Really slow and boring. I also bought a used Gundam video game for PS2 once. And it was boring. Really slow and boring.

So... are there some amazingly complex and cool Gundam animes out there that I am not aware of? How is the popularity of something so bland perpetuated? My guess is the amazing models kits you can get. But I'd really like someone who knows more to explain THIS one to me.

409920[/snapback]

No wonder you think Gundam sucks. Of all the possible Gundam material out there, your friend had you start with the worst freaking one.

The best of Gundam is in the UC... and that'd be Zeta, not the snorefest (albeit well-animated) 08th MS Team. But if you really want to see an awesome Gundam series without trying to digest the entire UC continuity, I HIGHLY reccomend Turn A Gundam.

I think most americans are introduced to the world of gundam through Gundam Wing and G Gundam just like how Robotech introduced them to Macross. *shudders*

Wing was pretty boring with tonnes of reused animation. The political aspects were pretty cool though. But bishies piloting SUPER DUPER gundams were mehhhhh.

0080 is a nice 6 ep series that has some amazing characters and mechs with a prety good plot

08th MS team was extremly well animated but lacking in any plot

0083 was the same as above AMAZING animation and fast paced but I hated the characters and wanted everyone to die:S

Zeta is outstanding for the beginning sorta loses its edge midway then picks in back uop 3/4 towards the end

and Turn A is AMAZING but if you want big robot battle dont bother its all about the character development and the plot.

We have plenty of Gundam threads...

Gundam (the show)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18457

Gundam (the toys)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18442

Gundam (the models)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18456

Gundam (where should I start)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=19134

Zeta Gundam movies thread

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=14943

And the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

Edited by azrael