My Monster Project

Justiciar

This page (lower right link under the "#5 1/240 Destroid Monster" heading towards the bottom of the page) served as the basis for the cgi model.

This page I believe is what will be used for the finishing touches.

Now's the time to comment if you'd like to see any changes. In case one missed an earlier comment (other thread), this is the model I'll be using on the rapid prototyping machine. And the nature of the beast is that I can make models in whatever scale people want, except for 1/72. I won't step on Mike's (?) toes.

/edit

Forgot to answer other questions. I don't have any other shots atm. I'll see about getting some. I'm a bit strapped for time, so please bear with.

Edited by Justiciar

please, give us a rough idea of cost for 1/144 and 1/60. Maybe even 1/100?

And much respect for not stepping on other peoples toes.

Any scale?  Uh oh.... what kinda cost would we be looking at? 1/60 and 1/32 are feeling mighty temtping.... :lol:

407724[/snapback]

OK, 1/100 are also off the list.

As for 1/35, yes, I can do that (potato cannon conversion kits not included). Just realize that that's an awful lot of work and an awful lot of resin and an awful lot of time. There are two 1/35 Gundam kits that I know of, one goes for $2500, the other for $1700. I'll I say right now is that a 1/35 Monster will be less that that. I don't anticipate much desire (well, not much affordable desire) for a Monster that big.

Would you be interested in a removable cockpit module? What other sorts of easter eggs would you like (talking specifically about the Monster)?

1/60 is more reasonable. If I had to guess, I'd say ~ $350, shipped.

1/144 is also much more reasonable, under $200.

This brings up a few questions. I'm pretty sure instructions won't be much of an issue. Will people want box art? If yes, and you want something other than cgi I'll need a little help (even if it's photos of the finished model).

Also, I plan on doing the rest of the destroids. So if y'all could figure out which ones you want and at what scale that'd be great. Yes, the other destroids cost less than the Monster. Sorry, no pricing right now, not even preliminary guesses.

You can tell me through a PM or in a thread for all to see.

I apologize for throwing around such large numbers. These really aren't scales that I want to work in, but I have the ability to and would like to provide what the community wants. As time goes on I'll get a better idea of where things are, and I'll keep you updated.

Hmmm... I dunno what to do for extras, I guess it depends on what your set up is capable of... a cockpit would be awesome, and you could use that one scene in the animation for reference... 1/35 scale was more a joke than anything, I don't even want to think about how big that'd be. I still think 1/60 would be neat, but still probably bigger than anyone could reaslitically deal with. 1/60 still sounds nice for the other Destroids tho.

I believe I'll aim for 1/60 and 1/144. Any who would like a different scale should feel free to ask. I'll do my best to be accomodating.

I'm hoping that you guys are ok with a little artist's interpretation. I really like Fernando Faria's work and that's what I'm planning on using for the final version. There'll be a couple small differences. No hoses is the big one. I haven't decided on how to handle the cockpit. I like his interpretation, but it's "wrong," so comment if you care. I'll probably go with the Club-M kit for the detail on the inner forearms.

I hope to have pics of the final version within a week.

Hopefully not to long after that I'll have pics of a physical model.

After that, I'd appreciate you pointing potentially interested people to the thread. /end shameless begging/.

Does anyone care about poseability? It's kind of synonymous with detail for me, but it might not be for anyone else.

We're trying to decide between moveable legs (so far the foot moves in three different places), which would allow people to pose it in more dynamic poses, or just leaving it as a static model. Actually, working that out for every joint.

Jointing is difficult, but doable. But if no one minds it being static, I'd rather not do the extra work of creating joints.

Based on the response the 1/72 Monster project is getting, I assume there's interest here. So if anyone is even remotely interested in 1/60 and 1/144, please say something. You do have an impact on what direction this goes. I'd say something in the 1/72 thread (since more people seem to be showing interest there), but that seems a little rude, so I won't.

And the more people that are interested, the cheaper it gets. I know the 1/60 will get cheaper than the $350 I was thinking.

Sorry for the begging tone. This project is progressing very, very rapidly. If I had to guess I'd say we'll start seeing the actual kits being available by the end of July/beginning of August. So I need your input now.

And one last note. One lucky person will have the opportunity to get one of these for "free." More on that later.

Hmm... I'll chime here for two reasons... I think that posability on the Monster, even if to a degree would be pretty cool. While totally posable legs would probably kill you (and risk making the model weak or unstable,) the option for three poses like you described would be neat. sadly, I think a 1/60 Monster would be way out of my league, but I'll chime in more on the other Destroids, because I'm very interested in those in 1/60 scale (and let me know if that drawing was any help...)

One other problem for me is that I'll be gone all summer, until late August, and I'd really hate to miss these... so I guess it'll depend on your actual timetable...

Edited by promethuem5

A 1/60 Monster would be Mahooosive. But cool. I think that Id like to see someof the destroids in that size just to compliment my 1/60 Yammies but being a completeist i`d then have to have the monster in the same scale too. Oh the pain the pain. I need a bigger house. I know its an arse scale but how bout 1/55 to give the Chunkies something to bash. I know that the monster would be the size of a small pony but the destroids would be just managable.

Well thats my two coins of pointless curency.

Aside from the yammies though 1/60 is an unusual scale. Now if you were to do it in 1/48 or 1/35.

408486[/snapback]

Any chance you know off the top of your head how long the main guns are (tip to connection point) in 1/48 and especially 1/35? That's going to be the limiting factor for how easy something is for me to do. Outside and inside diameter would also be nice.

Incidentally, I don't have a way to design decals. So if anyone has advice there...

The arm cannons would be 29.5" to 29.625" in 1/35th scale depending upon which model you reverse engineer. The main cannon barrels only are 28.5" long and 1.426" in outside diameter.

:)

I'm just a milling machine and lathe away from making 1/35th kits. Anyone have the next winning lottery numbers so I can dedicate my life to making cool macross kits?

-THOR

The arm cannons would be 29.5" to 29.625" in 1/35th scale depending upon which model you reverse engineer.  The main cannon barrels only are 28.5" long and 1.426" in outside diameter. 

409062[/snapback]

That small? Heck, I'll paypal you the money for my kit, Thor. I'm sure nobody in my neighborhood would complain about there being a Konig Monster with 30'ft long arm cannons in my front yard. While you're at it, could you make a 1/35 scale SDF?

:D

a 1/35 would be big enough to make RC using parts from some of the toy robots out now. Id have to figure out the calibre of the cannons once i got it though and see which type of fruit/veg fits best in it.

a 1/35 would be big enough to make RC using parts from some of the toy robots out now. Id have to figure out the calibre of the cannons once i got it though and see which type of fruit/veg fits best in it.

409209[/snapback]

I`d have to see that.

Brings the humble potato gun to a whole new level.

The arm cannons would be 29.5" to 29.625" in 1/35th scale depending upon which model you reverse engineer.  The main cannon barrels only are 28.5" long and 1.426" in outside diameter. 

409062[/snapback]

Cool. I can handle that. What are the end points you're using for the barrels to get that measurement?

I was thinking about trying to work it so people could do an RC version, but think that might be a little ambitious...

Potentially bad news. There are two machines that I'm looking at. The really cool one costs almost four times as much as the other. Because there's been almost no interest (what, a half dozen different people?), it's hard for me to justify the extra expense. This is important because the cheaper machine can't handle as large a part. That means I won't be able to do 1/35 or 1/48. 1/60 will be very difficult. 1/72 is the largest Monster that I could do with relative ease.

I know you guys are used to these sorts of projects taking months, and many times upwards of a year or more. That's not the case here. I'll be ready to start shipping kits inside of a month.

When I start in with my begging and pleading tone, there's a reason for it. You guys have a huge impact on not only how this project turns out, but future ones as well (frex, I note that there's a wish list. I was planning on starting on that after I was finished with the destroids, inside of 6 months).

So if you guys are interested, or know anyone who is, please point them here and get 'em to comment.

Thanks.

As to LSTO's hinted at question... All the projects I get involved in have the model first done as a CAD model, which is subsequently exported to a rapid prototyping machine. This methodology is what allows me to produce models in varying scales with relative ease. It's also what limits the sizes I can handle.

Hey Justicar, I can see where you are coming from but here is the deal. There have been so many great kits come out in the last couple of years that I think people are broke, I know I am.

I have had to miss out on too many kits that I really wanted, I hate to say it, but there is just too much choice, as modelers we are a spoilt bunch.

Also Mike's 1.72 scale it is coming out soon and a lot of people have committed to that, had this offer been on the table then, you would have been swamped.

If I may offer a suggestion, how about going in a different direction, picking say the Mac Zero Cheyenne, or maybe a 1/72 Movie N Ger or Mac Plus N Ger Kai. Also there is plenty of demand for other designs like the cat's eye, Dragon II etc. While they were mastered by Tanmen, that bloke has surely burned all his bridges here, and despite the temptation, recasting his kits is not the best option, and besides, if the real models came out anything like you CAD, it would beat the hell out of his stuff.

I can appreciate your work, but I think with GH's 1/100, and Mike's 1/72, the Monster has been taken care of for a while. It's just a case of being beaten to the punch.

But hey if you can punch out an entire line of 1/72 destroids inside of six months I say go for it. Captain America was going to attempt the line but first in best dressed I say.

I look forward to seeing what you can do for this humble hobby.

Cheers,

Berttt

perhaps put the monster on a side burner for now and do stuff that nobody else is doing. my vote's with enemy mecha, preferably 1/48 scale. you can't go wrong with a line of destroids, although i'm not sure how things would go over if someone else is already working on them.

I've got to agree with the thought that the monster is kind of overexposed right now. It's a big project with several options that are on the table now and people have already committed to expensive projects.

One other thing, (don't take this as a personal attack, it's not) The other guys who have been selling kits here have a good reputation and (especially on thier first kits) have an item to show before they asked for orders and such.

I am very intrigued by your process and always excited at the prospect of new Macross kits and options. So your thread is looking very good so far. I might suggest a small slowdown in your projected time frames, jsut to let everyone get a chance to catch thier breath and catch up with funds.

I'll keep watching here for what develops.

Thanks for joining in and working on these projects too! The potential here looks great!