My Monster Project

Justiciar

I think what it boils down to is that people just don't know your work. Everyone jumped on Mike's project because he's been doing great casting for years. They know he's a good guy and can be trusted. I just don't think you are going to get 20 people to jump on to a project without something solid to look at.

Personally, I'd recommend you start with a smaller, and less ambitious project (kinda what honneamise did with the Oberth). As you can see, after he did that project, the orders rolled in for the Ghost kit.

This is a small network of die hard fans. It's based on a lot of trust. Reputation means a ton. You've been a valuable member to these boards. You've got a good reputation, but not as a caster. I'm sure you will do a great job. I hope your projects go very well.

Justicar,

For the main barrels, I measured the tubes of my 1/100 resin kit. Those tubes probably press fit into slightly larger holes at the base so it's probably a little shorter.

For the arms I measured from flat surface in the rear to flat surface on the front of the main body of the arm of both my resin 1/100 and arii 1/160.

I've almost completed reverse engineering the Spartan in AutoCAD at 1/35th scale. I've deviated from the 1/72 kit to match what I see looks the best in different line drawings and reference materials. I've also changed areas to accomodate what I can make on a milling machine or lathe.

I've also started work on the Defender and Tomahawk. I figure those guys have practly the same legs but different torso's.

Educate me on what you want the files to look like and what machinery you are using and maybe we could colaborate?

-THOR

Maybe the smaller machine could do the larger part in sections?

I want one of these 3d scanners:

https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm?section=store

This would allow us to scan any current real model, get it into the computer, scale it to the size we want, and then machine the masters at the scale we chose.

:)

-THOR

wow, freaking crap

I wish I could do all this stuff... I'd have like, a slew of machined 1/48's all customized and everything

409543[/snapback]

Yeah you should refraise that you`d be chunking those bad boys out 24/7 and that still wouldnt be enough to satisfy your hunger. for the mighty 1/48 :p

I just saw this (I've been burried in family and Milliput stuff). I blew it in not getting a CAM unit for only $1000 bucks a while back! You can build in smaller parts and build them up if you get a smaller unit. That was mentioned earlier and works great. I'm still kicking my butt over not purchasing that unit a couple years ago (I'll get over it with therapy :D ).

Don't give up and keep in mind you can always make the smaller parts and put them together to make a larger model. Smaller parts also give opportunity for great emphasis on detail too! - MT

I know reputation is part of the problem. That's why I'm not asking for pre-orders or down-payments or anything like that. Just a verbal "Yeah, I'm interested" is enough to let me know to keep going.

Maybe picking the Monster first wasn't the best idea. OTOH, it is the largest, and directly affects the tooling requirements.

THOR, we'll probably need to take it to PM. But for everyone else, look at the link he posted to the 3D scanner. That thing by itself is $2500. That doesn't even begin to compare to the price of a rapid prototyper. I'm willing to go in debt to further the hobby, but I need a way to get back out again, and in a decent amount of time. Incidentally, the resolution on my machine is greater than that scanner.

I could use the smaller machine and section certain parts. That's what I was intending, to an extent. But would people be ok with having the barrel in 2 or 3 parts? I'm talking about the undetailed part of the barrel. I personally would not like that. One of my main goals is to have very high quality kits, and if a part is supposed to be one piece, then I'd like to keep it that way.

Maybe I'll look into enemy mecha next. Suggestions? And what are the Movie N Ger and Mac Plus N Ger Kai? I dont' believe I've heard of these, let alone have reference art.

That I've gotten a few extra people to respond is a little more encouraging.

I will definitely be interested, but just not with the Monster kit because I've already signed up for Mike's.

Enemy mecha would be a great idea!

wow, freaking crap

I wish I could do all this stuff... I'd have like, a slew of machined 1/48's all customized and everything

409543[/snapback]

Yeah you should refraise that you`d be chunking those bad boys out 24/7 and that still wouldnt be enough to satisfy your hunger. for the mighty 1/48 :p

409557[/snapback]

:D:D

Macross PlusĀ  Nasjoudal Ger Kai:

post-641-1150849159_thumb.gif post-641-1150849247.gif post-641-1150849284.gif

DYRL N Ger:

post-641-1150849523.gif post-641-1150849557.gif

409625[/snapback]

I might be able to handle those. Will definitely need much more to work with. And if someone (after I've proved I'm legit) had a doner kit...wait, it has detailed instructions, right? That'd probably suffice. But I definitely need more art to work from.

I can scan the instructions if you want. Give meĀ  day or so.

409740[/snapback]

That'd be great. Thanks.

Anyone have a preference for the model being completely faithful to the line-art (like the fully assembled cgi shot posted) vs the added detail (based on the scratchbuilt kit, also previously posted)?