What's keeping you from buying tons of Valks?

91WhiskeyM6

Pretty much what everybody else has answered here. There's lots of stuff I'd like to buy, Valk toys included. Heck, my list grows longer and longer every week. But there's always pesky real world stuff I have to spend my money on instead, like bills, insurance, gas, food, etc. <_

1. High school budget

2. No job

3. College coming up soon

4. Gundams are invading my shelf space

5. I'm satisfied playing around with my Bandai VF-19S (the kit)

6. If I want to buy a chunk of pretty die-cast, I'll buy some Hot Wheels

7. They keep getting better than the previous releases

8. Where am I gonna find the time to enjoy these things?

9. When you think there's a good price out there, a month later, someone says, "Wipe them out. All of them."

10. There is no reason #10.

11. I already have enough VF-1s to display in each mode (four)

12. Computer dying. Must buys stuff to keep it alive.

Storage space. Stinginess. I'm sure I could "afford" all the valks I want (which is more than I have but fewer than the totality of what's available, even from Yamato), but I would feel silly paying full price for each and every one. So far, the only items I've bought retail are my 1/48 Hikaru 1A and FAST packs; the rest are all secondhand deals.

Wow the common denomonator is....MONEY

Also...

1. Wife controls all the Money :blink:

2. My Son is second in command of the money :blink::blink:

3. I live in Japan where renting a shoebox costs $1000.00's :unsure:

4. I'm a big guy so I need somethng bigger than a shoe box so it's more :angry:

5. Kindergarten Money...yes it costs money to send your kid to Kindergarten in Japan :o

6. Tired of the VF-1 <_<

7. Tried of the current Valk distributors <_< :angry:

8. Need to save money for the upcoming WHF ;)

That's about it....same as everyone else :ph34r:

I buy what I want, when I want it... when the fiancee isn't looking.

I have a good paying job, lots of side money coming in and and a savings and investment portfolio to carry me into old age. My problem is one that others have said: just how many identical things can you buy before you get burned out? With the SDF:TV and DYRL releases petering out my buying will go down... unless they find a new way to release them.

But one thing should be said also, a lot of us guys and gals who now "have the loot" to buy all this stuff were once in your shoes too. Just ten years ago I was out of college with no job, no money, student loans coming due and nowhere to live. Just more proof that you youngsters should worry about making a name for yourself and getting settled in before buying the flashy cars, big houses and (this is the important one) buying anything on that credit card. I lived "within my means" for years... eating mac and cheese, sleeping on a mattress with no sheets and scooping pennies out of fountains to pay for gas. I turned out OK, you guys will too. Just stick with it and don't do anything stupid.

You know what sucks! I've got a $3000 check coming my way from some investing asset I'm cashing in, but I'm only using that to pay off one of my credit cards!

I could finally catch up with all the stuff I wanted to buy with that stupid check. I can't even afford to buy some much needed DVD's because of my debts.

Atleast I can afford $200-$300 a month on my favorite hobby and still pay off my bills(the minimum on those CC's atleast) and put some in the piggy bank. <_<

By the way, when do you project that you will finally pay off your debts? My goal is 2 years and I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

btw, JsARCLIGHT, I do try to think of my future. I have a 401K/Pension fund at work and a decent job here in pricey San Francisco. I'm also in the Army Reserves and that has benefits for me in the long run assuming I don't get shot that is.

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

Mainly just that I only really want certain ones. I'm getting the ones that I want ;)

If I had the money, I'd really only get a few more Valks than what I've got and what I'm planning on getting as I'm not really a completist. I'd probably get some more G1 Transformers, the Gakken Legioss, an Orgoid and probably put just save up for a couple of nice basses and an amp along with a few little vacations next year.

For me it's partly the idea of paying $100+ for a newly released toy (1/48) and the newly acquired level headedness of not needing everything right away. I basically have the means to acquire this stuff but I don't for the above reasons. Eventually I've gotten it just a little slower than normal.

I think I have a problem, nothing is keeping me from buying new valkries.

Over the past month, I scoop up Yamatos like crazy

From a small collection of 2 1/60 and 1 1/48, it grows exponentially

to 4 1/48, 7 1/60, 1 1/72. I somehow feel a very strong urge to

collect every yamato. I guess I won't (and can't) stop my buying urge

until I had a complete collection of the yamato macross line.

Sigh.... Here it goes all the bonus I got in the summer.

"What's keeping you from buying tons of Valks?"...lets see:

1. Money to burn,

2. Enough room to display/store all the crap,

3. Other equaly expensive obcessions...err, hobbies,

4. What's left of my self-control,

5. Sanity (in very short supply at this point),

6. Family (they're beginning to look at me funny),

7. Etc., etc., etc.

Edited by mechaninac

What's keeping you from buying tons of Valks?

Right now, nothing but my credit limit. Sooner or later common sense will kick in and the answer will be common sense.

btw, JsARCLIGHT, I do try to think of my future. I have a 401K/Pension fund at work and a decent job here in pricey San Francisco. I'm also in the Army Reserves and that has benefits for me in the long run assuming I don't get shot that is.

Good for you.

(My fiancee is regular army and is a little, uh, "busy" in a popular foriegn country right now.)

Atleast I can afford $200-$300 a month on my favorite hobby and still pay off my bills(the minimum on those CC's atleast) and put some in the piggy bank. <_<

By the way, when do you project that you will finally pay off your debts? My goal is 2 years and I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Good for you re: the Reserves. (And here's hoping you stay safe.)

If I may suggest something--the firstplace you should be putting your money is paying off your CC debts. Even before the piggy bank. Even before the 401K. It all comes down to interest rates. Unless you've got an incredible rate on your credit cards, you're paying much higher interest on that debt than you're likely to earn in savings or investments.

Dare I say it--you should pay off your CC bills even before you put any more money into hobbies. Just look at how much interest you pay in a year and how much your savings and disposable income (for the latter, read: money for hobbies) will increase if you get rid of that debt.

Atleast I can afford $200-$300 a month on my favorite hobby and still pay off my bills(the minimum on those CC's atleast) and put some in the piggy bank.  <_<

By the way, when do you project that you will finally pay off your debts? My goal is 2 years and I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  B)

If I may suggest something--the firstplace you should be putting your money is paying off your CC debts. Even before the piggy bank. Even before the 401K. It all comes down to interest rates. Unless you've got an incredible rate on your credit cards, you're paying much higher interest on that debt than you're likely to earn in savings or investments.

Dare I say it--you should pay off your CC bills even before you put any more money into hobbies. Just look at how much interest you pay in a year and how much your savings and disposable income (for the latter, read: money for hobbies) will increase if you get rid of that debt.

Yup! Ewilen is right. Everyone here should pay off the CC debts. If you don't have any CC debts, bravo to you. These Macross valks will always be here. You may be spending more to get them in the future, but at least you're not paying interest up the a$$. Who knows maybe yamato will reissue their valks say 10, 20 years from now like the bandai reissues and prices for these valks should come down ;) . Just look at the first run of 1/60 yammies and *ugh* :p MPC's.

Atleast I can afford $200-$300 a month on my favorite hobby and still pay off my bills(the minimum on those CC's atleast) and put some in the piggy bank.  <_<

By the way, when do you project that you will finally pay off your debts? My goal is 2 years and I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  B)

That's excellent advice there. There's also a variety of things to do with a mortgage. Like, instead of making a payment every month, make half a payment every two weeks. It doesn't seem like it makes much difference, but it takes years off your payments (I've been told by profs that it's 11, but I don't believe it). And make an extra payment every year instead of getting more valks. It's like 4 years of payment gone by the end. As for my debts, I don't even want to know. I'm still in college (a sophomore) and I'm not quite liking my major (it's not that I'm doing poorly - I'm one of the few Chem Es to get an academic scholarship) so that means something like graduate school, which is even more money. Although I am probably one of the few people without a job and $3000 in a checking account (I haven't started paying off those loans yet because of repayment provisions that I don't like).

I just paid off 1 credit card(okay, okay, when the $3000 check arrives anyway) and I'm down to...1 !!! :) yipeee!

I WILL NEVER USE CREDIT CARDS AGAIN. If I need something? Debit card all the way.

Oh, about paying off the CC's rather than wasting it on Valks? That would be the wise course, but that's so...boring <_< Besides, I have a low APR interest on my cards and that doesn't bother me much. I'm planning on paying off that last card with my 2003 income tax 4 months from now, so it's all good. I only have to worry about my car which is also close to being paid off :)

Ohh another thing, I'M SICK OF INVESTING THIS, INVESTING THAT, SAVE YOUR MONEY BLAH BLAH(I've been trying to be frugal with money a dozen years)! live a little godammit. I went to Hawaii last April and did something I'm afraid off... SCUBA DIVING! Did I think about the thousands of dollars I spent for the airline tickets, hotels, tips, taxis, bus, food, tours, and the fun stuff to do? HELL NO!

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

I just paid off 1 credit card(okay, okay, when the $3000 check arrives anyway) and I'm down to...1 !!!  yipeee!

Hey, Whiskey, good for you! There's nothing wrong with a little debt, even for occasional expenses, as long as you learn to manage it wisely. And as long as you've got that 401k (hopefully diversified! not all in your company's stock) you're doing some automatic saving without having to think about it.

Edited by ewilen