Mgs Live Action Movie

I'd like it live action.

But one thing i never liked about the MGS series was the ridiculous bad guys. Its like FOX-HOUND (and Cobra Team) was a rag tag band of freak show rejects with sad pasts. So i'm not sure how well this will translate to live action.

I always knew that this game was gonna have a L-A movie to it because I remember about 2 years ago that Hideo Kojima sold the movie rights to some company.

Everytime I hear the in-game music I think of the movie "the rock".

396632[/snapback]

That's probably because the music for Metal Gear was done by Harry Gregson-Williams, who is a bonifide Hollywood composer. He did the soundtrack for Enemy of the State among many other movies including Shrek and Narnia.

Hans Zimmer was one of the composers of The Rock though.

Harry Gregson-Williams came on board for MGS2, the first game was tappy, or whoever. Heh, I like the beatmania MGS theme remix.

Rather than list actors to play Solid Snake or Naked Snake, I'll list actors who shouldn't.

Ben Affleck

Kurt Russel (he's too old now, poor Snake Plisken)

Matt Damon

Pierce Brosnan

Michael Keaton

Harrison Ford

Christian Bale

Jonny Depp

Orlando Bloom

Sean Connery (old Big Boss is alright though all things considering)

Jackie Chan (he was awesome as street fighter characters, especially Chun Li :p:lol:)

Jet Li

Chow Yun Fat

Great actors to play villains:

John Malkovich

Cillian Murphy

Gary Oldman

Sean Bean

Michael Biehn

Willem Dafoe

Cary Elwes

Everytime I hear the in-game music I think of the movie "the rock".

396632[/snapback]

That's probably because the music for Metal Gear was done by Harry Gregson-Williams, who is a bonifide Hollywood composer. He did the soundtrack for Enemy of the State among many other movies including Shrek and Narnia.

Hans Zimmer was one of the composers of The Rock though.

396747[/snapback]

Harry Gregson-Williams is the main composer for The Rock. Hans Zimmer was credited because they used some of the themes/cues from his work in Crimson Tide for The Rock.

whats the point of a movie really? the game was VERY cinematic already, and a movie couldn't hope to cover as much content.

I vote for no go on this project.

whats the point of a movie really?  the game was VERY  cinematic already, and a movie couldn't hope to cover as much content.

I vote for no go on this project.

396800[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree with you there. When the original is perfect, I don't see how a movie will legitimize it further.

What was the point of the Doom movie? or the Resident Evil movies? or the House of the Dead movie? or the Alone in the Dark movie? or the Tomb Raider movies? or The Wizzard starring Fred Savage?

The point is exploitation. There is money to be made off of fanboys, lots of money. And seeing as how the Metal Gear franchise is total fanboy gush material a movie is a no brainer. My question is: will the movie be as rife with technical innacuracies, sluggishly plodding with wandering dialogue and downright confusing yet cliche as the games are? Don't get me wrong, MGS was a good game... everything since has been awful.

It's been so long since I played the original metal gear 2D games that I have no memory of how good or bad they where. I do remember that I bought MG for the NES just because the box art looked like Michael Behn from Terminator and I thought it would be like the movie Terminator.

MGS THE MOVIE

Story told from the point of view of... THE BOX!

Half the movie is spent in box-view mode. The other half is spent looking out of the alligator hat. :D lol

Snake we need you to rescue the president, he's been kidnapped by Fox-hound renegades with funny codenames and tragic messed up pasts. And quit smoking during the movie so we get some government money. And blow some stuff up. Uh the guy in charge of the renegades is- GAH FOXDIE NOOOOOOooooooooooo *dead*

My question is: Will the movie be as rife with technical innacuracies, sluggishly plodding with wandering dialogue and downright confusing yet cliche as the games are? Don't get me wrong, MGS was a good game... everything since has been awful.

396809[/snapback]

Hopefully they won't let Kojima touch the script as he's absolutely worthless when it comes to brevity or self-editing. It could be interesting if they play up some realism and tone down the wacky bad guys, but I suspect it'll turn into just another sub-par espionage movie.

If they have young Revolver Ocelot trying to force himself to eat a turd to show he's as tough as Naked Snake (because The Boss told him that Snake can even eat those to survive a mission), like in this gag doujinshi my wife and I picked up at comike last year, I'll definitely go to watch.

If they were to do a movie based of MGS3, what actor would play a good Raikov Raidenovitch (heh gotta love the humor, "raiden no bitch")?

Tons of ridiculous monologues do not a good game make.

396866[/snapback]

Exactly.

I play games to PLAY GAMES not sit on my ass and watch pointless cutscene after cutscene filled with unintelligible gobbledegook and sideways tech speak. MGS2 was fun right up until I heard the word "leelaalooolaaleeloooluuuh" or whatever the hell that was... after that I completely lost interest in the game. Well, that and the 20 some minute cutscenes between 5 minute gameplay spots got really freaking old. Every time I hear that codec sound now I want to just throw my controller as it's an audible notice that the momentum you just built up is going right into the trash can for a ten to twenty minute blabber fest.

I can only imagine the total monologuing horror that would be a Metal Gear movie. Every character would have a 10 minute speach followed by two minutes of action with another ten minute speach afterwords. It would be like Dragonball, just slightly less/more stupid, depending on if you like Dragonball or not.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Tons of ridiculous monologues do not a good game make.

396866[/snapback]

Exactly.

I play games to PLAY GAMES not sit on my ass and watch pointless cutscene after cutscene filled with unintelligible gobbledegook and sideways tech speak. MGS2 was fun right up until I heard the word "leelaalooolaaleeloooluuuh" or whatever the hell that was... after that I completely lost interest in the game. Well, that and the 20 some minute cutscenes between 5 minute gameplay spots got really freaking old.

I can only imagine the total monologuing horror that would be a Metal Gear movie. Every character would have a 10 minute speach followed by two minutes of action with another ten minute speach afterwords. It would be like Dragonball, just slightly less/more stupid, depending on if you like Dragonball or not.

396876[/snapback]

Silly Americans. You do not yet understand the danger of Metal Gear and/or nuclear proliferation, so Kojima has taken it upon himself to lecture you about them! Now...I was going to type more, but I just realized that I need something back at the office so I have to backtrack there to get it. I should be back in a few hours.

Silly Americans. You do not yet understand the danger of Metal Gear and/or nuclear proliferation, so Kojima has taken it upon himself to lecture you about them! Now...I was going to type more, but I just realized that I need something back at the office so I have to backtrack there to get it. I should be back in a few hours.

396878[/snapback]

:lol:

MGS 3 toned it down somewhat to tolerable levels. MGS 2.....omfg.....was there even a game to that unintelligable movie? Running around naked doing cartwheels was kinda fun though. :lol:

On MGS games, I wish there was an option to have Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

Heh, on the French release of MGS it was dubbed in French, and I was playing it to practice reading and listening to French. Oh man the dub was hilarious! If you've ever heard the French dub of Star Wars A New Hope, the was Darth Vader speaks with that "someone is squeezing my balls" tone is the way that Psycho Mantis speaks.

Snake has to plant C4 on someone's back if they do a live action. :lol:

personaly, I think that the perfect snake would be best played by Eric Banna.

he has proven to be both an action actor and one who can be very emotional as displayed by MUNIC.

not to mention he really looks alot like snake. :huh::blink:

That's exactly who I was going to say. Even though he started out as a comedian doing impersonations I can't forget his performance as chopper in the chopper movie. He can be funny and scary at the same time. That's what I would want a live action snake to be. You need a bit of comedy for the audience (no brainer action movie) but the right level of seriousness too. Snake is a killer who other killers admire for his skill so they need a dark tone that might translate better as a violent cg movie more than a live action one where they will probably go PG route to get the most money. I mean will we see a scene of snake snapping someone's neck in a theatre that will turn people off?

The main villain should also be very menacing and scary. At least like the character in Cape fear who just doesn't die, and only gets angrier and creepier each time. But will hollywood screw it up and just hope they can cash in on a popular name? Disregarding the tone and feel of the games and hope the dvd sales will still make it profitible despite criticisms?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

JsARCLIGHT and Sumdumgai: I agree with you both on all points.

I think mgs might be in a race with star wars for seeing who can put the most nonsence into what WAS a great franchise.

i mean, they added a part to MGS where ninja jumps in the air, cuts a huge slab of concrete out of the ceiling, it falls(he doesn't) out of the roof, then he KICKS it at snake and procedes to the next bit of nonsence.

COME ON!

I always knew that this game was gonna have a L-A movie to it because I remember about 2 years ago that Hideo Kojima sold the movie rights to some company.

396668[/snapback]

Yeah... Nintendo's sold the Metroid movie rights TWICE.

I don't even want to THINK about how many times IronMan's been picked up.

Just because someone purchases an option doesn't mean the project ever materializes.

At least they haven't done a Megaman movie with Vin Diesel as megaman. :lol:

Speaking of which, that's another actor to not have as Snake.

396986[/snapback]

Gawd no. Just yesterday while surfing 2chan i came across 2 fugly illustrated megaman images which featured muscular hairy men in them blue tights and helmet.....thank your lucky stars i can no longer find them. :ph34r:

396986[/snapback]

I can go one better.

Vin Diesel is... Captain N: The Game Master.

Rated R for language and sexual themes.

396986[/snapback]

I can go one better.

Vin Diesel is... Captain N: The Game Master.

Rated R for language and sexual themes.

397062[/snapback]

With Fabio as Simon Belmont and Leonardo Dicrapio as Kid Icarus. :lol:

Uhm, I love MGS and MGS3, but a live action movie can go wrong in so many different ways. I'm scared. :ph34r:

So I guess Kojima confirmed that there will be a Metal Gear movie. I love how he goes out of his way to say that Dr. Boll will NOT be involved. I only wished he also included Paul W.S. Anderson in the statement.

I agree with the other guys that Eric Bana would be an awesome Solid Snake. Go watch Blackhawk Down and watch the part where he sneaks up to the Somalian rebel on the jeep and chokes the guy to death. You know he's right for the job. Plus he's a decent actor who seems to pick the more intense roles. Besides, we've already seen what he looks like with a mullet in Troy. :lol:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150282.html?...%20gear%20movie

Edited by Seven