Macross Contest

Anyone up for a Macross contest? With all the new Mac Zero Hasegawa kits as well as some awesome resin garage kits (the Ghost and the 1/72nd Monster), I think a contest is due. We could theme it (e.g., a Mac Plus contest), but I think that might limit the entries since we haven't done one (at least since I've been active here). We could have it just a show and tell or actually have members vote on it.

If we get enough interest in this thread, perhaps Graham or someone could pin a separate rules thread.

Questions.

1) Would you participate?

2) What should the end date be?

3) Should it be themed?

4) Should it be show-and-tell or a vote?

5) Would you be interested in a $5 entry fee and the winner gets the cash?

6) What is the average flight speed of a unladened swallow?

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Sounds great to me!

Answers:

1) Yes

2)Couple of months?

3)Don't care

4)If it is to be a contest I think it should be anonymous submissions voted on

5)Fee is fine with cash or prizes to the winner (fee could go to help this site)

6)What do you have against ladened swallows?

1 - Yes

2 - Not sure

3 - Yes - old Arii 1/100 Valkyries only <evil laugh>

4 - Either way

5 - I can do $5 even if its just to help this site out

6 - Did you know that sparrows can grasp a coconut by its husk?

No no, two sparrows would have to have on a line between them from the dorsal guidance feathers.

I think this'd be fun. Even if we don't have a contest with rpizes, we could have a group build type thing' where we all motivate each other to build, or build to a theme. Maybe it'll get me to get a Hase VF-) Battroid, or finish my stupid YF-19 that I never finsihed building....

1) Yes

2) The timeframe needs to be resonable. What do SSM give for their contests.

3) Maybe pick a kit, say VF-1, or even VF-1A (or some other common kit) and get cracking, see what people come up with to be inventive.

4) either or

5) For the first one maybe leave the money out, sometimes it complicates things, even whe the amount is small.

6) Average flight speed at what altitude?

Berttt

1. I suck, but I'd do something anyway just to be a participant.

2. 3 months seems long enough

3. Doesn't matter

4. Vote - but keep entries anonymous

5. I suck, so I think the worst model should get the prize to go buy some lessons.

6. 11m/s or 24mph (European swallow)

I'm in. But I agree the contest fee should go towards MW. If anyone wants to donate prizes then that's another thing. The sheer variety would be daunting unless it was broken up into categories ie Vf-0's, Vf-1's,... figures and misc. Put the various modes into each category (fighter, gerwalk, battroid), then let the anonimous entries be judged by poll. With a couple of mods deciding on any prize distribution to avoid the same couple of individuals cleaning up.

Three months is fine, but maybe don't start until after wonderfest.

This is an awesome idea simply because it might push me to actually finish a build instead of stopping halfway and satrting something new.

If there's to be a fee, then it should be Grahams. He could offer a prize, if he wanted. It doesn't have to be expensive, maybe just a Hasagawa VF-1 kit. He'd have to do all the work collecting the pics and then posting the entries for voting.

As far as categories, box stock, diorama, scratchbuild/conversion. Macross only. Other than that, go wild with your subject or timeframe.

To prevent somebody from claiming 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in a category, no sweeps. That means, you can enter 3 kits in a category, but you're only gonna have one win. That makes it better for you to try one great model entered in each of the 3 categories if you're hungry for the bragging rights.

Eh, toys might be OK, but I doubt they'd win anything. You've got to do tremendous work to get a toy to be un-toylike, making you a modeler. Toy guys don't wanna do that much to their toys, especially if it means messing with poseability.

I think everybody's been talking models anyway though. B))

Just had a thought that might add to the challenge. What if the contest coordinator bought a bunch of the same kit, something readily available, and not too expensive, like a Hase VF-1A for example. I'm sure one of the seller's on MW would give the coordinator a good price break for this. People who want to enter the contest pay an entry fee, which covers the cost of the model, shipping and a little extra for the prizes or whatever. Nobody but the contest coordinator knows what the actual kit will be. This would level the playing field a bit I think. There would be a set date for entries, and once that date is met, the coordinator will ship out all the kits. Contestants will come home one day to see the mailman left a box on the step. We open it to find the model to be built, and then have 3 months to get the finished work submitted.

Kind of like an "iron chef" approach to modeling. But, the contestants should be able to do whatever they want to custom the kit... custom paint/decals, scratch built add ons, lighting......

Again, just a thought.

Sounds interesting for a contest down the road, but since this is our first one, perhaps let's keep it simple.

EDIT: By the way, I PM'd Shawn and Graham about organizing this. I'll organize the rules, but I'd prefer having their blessing first.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Questions.

1) Would you participate?

2) What should the end date be?

3) Should it be themed?

4) Should it be show-and-tell or a vote?

5) Would you be interested in a $5 entry fee and the winner gets the cash?

6) What is the average flight speed of a unladen swallow?

389687[/snapback]

1) I would love to - but I absolutely suck at meeting deadlines for such things, so probably not.

2) See #1.

3) Probably not - but if you did I think my suggestion for a theme would be the "Flying Circus" - models and dioramas exemplifying the dynamic action choreography of Macross. So missile swarms (and even better, the evasion of missile swarms) would be worth bonus points.

4) I don't understand the question. I think there should be designated judges responsible for judging, though. Popular vote is too easily swayed.

5) I'd be just as happy competing for bragging rights.

6) Mach 3, but slower in gerwalk mode.

That could work NMB4M. The IPMS uses a very similar method. They seperate under 17 into a seperate category. Given the age spread here though we may want to seperate by amount of time the person has been building models. We may have to take a poll to see how old people are on here and how long people have been building models. We need to get the right info .