The 1/18 Scale Super Thread! Gi Joes, Bbi,et Al

Hello people.

Quite a number of you including myself collect 1/18 scale figures and vehicles. A lot of you like MIcroman. I LOVE Gijoes and just recently got into the realistic scaled 1/18 stuff that BBI, 21st century toys, and admiral toys are putting out. The "joe scale" stuff still appeals to me as well, as I grew up with gijoe and could look past the vehicles and their out of scale sizes.

This is thread for news, pics, thoughts and discussion! I'll post pics of some of my stuff next week when I have access.

Now for some news

-21stcenturytoys.com's AREA 21 section just posted up pictures of 2 things, the F-86 and MIG-15 prototypes! The pics shown are outdated and apparently they are a lot farther along on these things than we thought. The pics were just teasers, apparently they are so much farther along on the actual protos that they outshine the ones shown in the pics. Accessable gunbays and moving parts are shown! *note you have to sign up for AREA 21 but its free*

-The Avenger is coming ashore soon! Badcataviation.com has pictures of the painted model and has 3 versions up for preorder! The bunker hill version is exclusive to them. The atlantic and Flight 19(WITH ALIENS AS WELL) versions are coming to walmart and hobby stores! They should be on the water either now or soon. FINALLY!!

-21st century toys is releasing their 1/18 ME-262 in summer. Admiral toys is also releasing an ME-262 in summer(Admiral toys is the newest competitor in the fray)

-F-104 "Smoke II"(SEA Camo) is set for release in May. The luftwaffe F-104 is already out at walmart for 39.99!

-21st also released their retooled P-51 lately. Some people say its not as good as BBI's others say the lack of weathering hurts it. Some say it is just slightly better than BBI's. *note the later releases of this will feature the gunlockers showed off@SDCC last year).

-The DTC(Direct to Consumer) gijoe figures, vehicles, and comic packs are now@TRU!! Here are the prices

*3 3/4 single figure-5.99

*comic 3 pack-11.99

*HISS tank/Night ops humvee-16.99

*6 pack figure sets-24.99

*ROCC-49.99

Not sure how much the RHINO is supposed to cost. But I am overjoyed to see Gijoe back in retail! Prices are not too shabby either!

Post pics, news, thoughts, and such here!

does anyone have any pictures of there personal ones? i would love to see some.

chris

Any news on the A-10?  Still in development heck?

389036[/snapback]

Me and a bunch of other guys asked Mike from BBI a bunch of times, the response we got was "wait and see" and cryptic comments. We once asked why the hell a foam A-10 was shown@fall toyfair 2005 up on display with the BBI 1/18 realistically scaled toys. At this point, figures.com stated that BBI was releasing a 1/18 A-10 in 2006. I believe Mike also said that whatever was shown at a fall toyfair was indicative of what we might see later in the preceeding year. So this leads us to believe that BBI meant that foam A-10 as a placeholder and that a realistically scaled A-10 will be released this year. There was also a hellcat on display and he said wait and see for that as well.

21stcenturytoys.com's AREA 21 section had an interview with Roy Sutherland about the XD line, and the A-10 proto they showed off but cancelled years back was brought up. Turns out it wasn't destroyed as the rumor went, and it was actually still around! I forgot what they said but for what its worth YES the prototype still exists but not sure if they are intent on putting it out. But with BBI and admiral toys being good competitors and raising the level of competition exponentially(remember for YEARS 21st was the only company doing true 1/18 scale airvraft), I thnk we got a good chance an XD A-10 wil come out.

And zero mare I'll snap some pics when I get access to my stuff later this week

Just thought it would lessen the need for multiple topics on the same subject...and I know every now and then gijoe or 1/18 stuff is brought up, so I figure, why not?

I collect star wars as well. Have you picked up any of the evolutions sets Roy? I am about to FINALLY get some!(they sold out over x mas....kids got to them before I did....poor college guys like me not getting to the shelves till AFTER they have been mauled by kids and their moms for xmas!)

Also did you hear about the jedi starfighter from ep3 being repainted into TIE fighter colors for vader? Apparently its based on a design in one of the novels. Sweet! Also his signature TIE is coming out...as well as Mace Windu's starfighter.

Now if only they would release the ARC-170

Also other rumor is that the ATAT is confimed from TRU exclusives and will retail for 89.99

Holy hell I wish I bought an ATAT back in 98

@kb when they were going for a mere 15.99. Damn it!

89.99?! Back in the KB clearance days I picked up about 5 of them for about 24.99 each and I didn't think they were worth that much.

As for 1/18th, I've got the very first '21st P-51, F4-U, P-38, BF-109. Also, I have the recent P-47, F-18, AH-64, UH-60 Blackhawk. I've forgotten who makes any of that stuff, but I'm sure you collector's know what I'm talking about.

88c851b657bc84de27e7879da3a6bbd6.th.jpg

c10e7b6e1cbb6276253bc7d3c1e79750.th.jpg

Some of I've got stowed away in boxes, as these guys are huge and space is tight. I'll try and post more later...

Edited by myk

If the avenger hits walmart i will get one.  as for any other 1:18 the only other one i care about getting is f6f hellcat.  i have only one right now it is a pappy boyinton corsair.  i feel the 1:18s are toooooo big.

389093[/snapback]

You might want to make space for the avenger, its HUGE! Its also confirmed for walmart as well, the atlantic gray and flight 19 schemes. I heard that 54.99 might be the price for it at walmart.

I don't think the 1/18's are too big, they are true to scale after all, and that is what a lot of us wanted growing up, a gijoe vehicle that WASN'T out of scale! And plus...if its big and I want it, I'll move stuff around and make space. Which is why I still moan for a phantom and tomcat...they'd be the biggest 1/18ers by far but would be phenomenal.

Cool pics myk! Can't believe you actually have a defiant! I remember seeing it when I was 4 and saying "HOLY CRAP its a 100$ and HUGE....my God, I'll never have it".

Lucky dog you!

21st makes the P-47 and BBI makes the UH60, F/A-18 and apache.

The hornet, apache, and falcon are all being reissued this year. Falcon coming in summer I think. BTW anyone have it? I notice that not as many collectors I know of bought the falcon.

And I do think BBI will make a hellcat since a prototype was on show@fall toyfair.

Also BBI has an old crow P-51 coming out. The killer one looked awesome, anyone have it?

And myk do you have pics of your other stuff?

yeah i know the avenger is huge (a guy locally owns a real one and i got close enough to touch it).  but if i get the f6f i need the avengenger as it dont get enough love from the diecast/plastic replica crowd.  and they are some of my faviorite war birds.

389108[/snapback]

Definitely agree man, I am often puzzled why in hell noone has made a hellcat in 1/18 scale yet. Hopefully BBI comes through for us this year!

Fopr what its worth if the avenger DOES end up being 54.99@walmart then in my opinion, thatd be a steal! Can't wait!

Considering the convenience of the scale, GI Joe figs ought to be rockin vehicles like these into combat. Yeah, I know: they aren't "new" or "high tech" enough to seem cool to today's kids or something. But it's a helluva lot better than that Sigma 6 crap they've been pushin the past couple of years.

When chains like Wal-Mart carry these toy lines, they sell for somewhat reasonable prices, like $39 or so. But selection/stock is pretty much dodgy at best.

*edit* couldn't attach pic of the Huey gunship [dammit], but toys like these are damned cool.

post-1488-1145077375_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Agreed redsun!~ Though I tend to like some of the gijoe vehicles for what they are, to me BBI and21st century's 1/18 stuff totally kicks ass though, and is definitely "the toy for the big boy".

I have heard that some fans have found the german F-104 at walmart but hell i have not even seen the silver S1 version yet!

ANd if you like the huey, you'll LOVE the cobra. Best thing I bought on discount at hungates!

I just recently got BBI's killer P-51D, and I must say that thing was hard to put down, too much fun messing with! Hell...I have a hard time saying which I like more, my black VFA-103 F/A-18 or my Killer P-51D....just goes to show how far BBI goes within less than a year of development!

(btw I recommend ANY of BBI's warbirds!!....fans tell me their corsair and mustang are better than the 21st century XD line's mustang and corsair...even better than 21st's newly retooled mustang! Now thats something!)

Shin, do you plan on getting the new GI JOE Sigma 6 figures to add to your collection?

Yes, I've only seen the occaisional P-47 or Me109 at Hell-Mart, and once a "Sky Captain" P-40. Odd thing I noted on the 21st Cent w'site: for the regular Curtiss, it says "For political reasons, the P-40s come with a blank, round blue field on the wings. Insignia stickers are enclosed in the box and are meant to be applied to these fields by purchasers."

I wonder what they could mean? Political reasons? over 50 yrs after the fact? :huh:

Yes, I've only seen the occaisional P-47 or Me109 at Hell-Mart, and once a "Sky Captain" P-40.  Odd thing I noted on the 21st Cent w'site: for the regular Curtiss, it says "For political reasons, the P-40s come with a blank, round blue field on the wings. Insignia stickers are enclosed in the box and are meant to be applied to these fields by purchasers."

I wonder what they could mean?  Political reasons?  over 50 yrs after the fact?  :huh:

391621[/snapback]

I usually see the nightfighter ME-109, a BF-109, various bubbletop jugs, and the sky captain P-40. As if I see everything BUT the damn F-104! Hell the new tool P-51D's are out there and if I can't even find the F-104., my chances of finding the retooled Mustang are slim to none. Not that it matters much, as I do hear the BBi Mustang I have rivals even the new tool 21st century mustang.

Myk, you should definitely pick up the BBI mustang....it is far superior to the XD Mustang you have pictured!(not trying to blast the Xd Mustang, but man the BBI one is freaking gorgeous and DURABLE as well, MADE FOR PLAY!).

Alas, I shall wait for distribution to pick up. I can't stomach ordering a F-104 and avenger online knowing that one day both will sluggishly find their way to the local walmarts months behind the rest of the nations walmarts.

reddsun, the f/a-18 is up for pre order again on some sites, its set for reissue pretty soon.

And I DO have that black jolly roger hornet. Very cool! Its more like 2ft and 1/2. Pretty damn big. Makes every gijoe plane look small. Hell the BBI 1/18 mustang makes BBI planes look small so go figure.

I recomend the BBI hornet. Made to be played with, very durable, as if they designed it knowing guys like me would be playing with it all the time. I think its about 10 lb...it is heavy and big. I am always astounded by the quality BBI brings to their product. I have 2 BBI product and 1 21st century(BBI Mustang and Hornet, 21st XD Ah-1 cobra), and I've gotta say I think BBI slightly edges out 21st in regards to quality. Though I did hear that the F-`104 is the best 1/18 jet yet!

21st is set to release the MIG-15 and F-86 this summer SIDE BY SIDE, and a ME-262(FINALLY!!). I am eventually going to buy a new tool mustang from them but not until they make the new tool WITH the gunlockers(the new tool releases as of yet do not have the gun lockers..its promised later on ).

Eventually I want a..

-new tool mustang w/gun lockers from 21st century(I still doubt it would beat my BBI one...but the gun lockers will make or break it I suppose, comparisons so far say the 21st one is just about even with the BBI one...but with gun lockes it will DEFINITELY make the new tool slightly more appealing).

-a stuka

-a BBI corsair and debating whether or not I should get a 21st bunker hill corsair

-a JUG...maybe razorback..although I am leaning back and forth b/w a bubbletop and razorback.

-A lightning.

-nightfighter ME-109

-F-104....smoke II, silver, or german, whatever the hell I can find, I hear s4 is the bavarian commerative scheme version shown on ebay a few months back.

-Avenger.

Do any of you have the 21st new tool mustang or corsair, AND the BBI mustang and corsair? If so please compare and contrast!

It's a shame really when you think about it. We may be glad that Wally-Mart might carry these toys, but I imagine they're losing money on every one that's sold through the retail giant, because of their "cost-cutting" policies. Note the huge difference in retail price at most any online retailers. They [Wal Mart] slash the prices by $10 or more right off the top; I imagine the profit margin is cut to nil. There are other stories about how the chain uses its economic clout to bully suppliers into contracts that cut their profits to nothing.

Anyways, the Jugs are currently the most common on their shelves, with the occasional desert Stuka or Me109. I've seen some sites with the "Marines Dream" Corsair for reasonable prices, about $52...

I had no idea BBI's lines of figures were so extensive and varied. These figs certainly kick the s--t out of the old 80's GI Joe toys in the way of accuracy and detail. But then again, I'm sure the price reflects that too. Come to think of it. I'd bet that's the audience companies like BBI are aiming at: kids of the 80's who grew up with the old 1/18 Joes etc, who are probably looking to recapture those good feelings from their youth, only with a good deal more sophistication? Or, they may just be looking to make some kick-a$$ toys, coincidentally in the same scale?

21477-82.jpg

21155-59.jpg

21177-82.jpg

21034-3818.jpg

21160-62.jpg

does anyone have that big p38 lighting?

393110[/snapback]

as far as I know, noone hear does yet. I am planning to get one eventually, unless BBI makes one. Which I would definitely buy.

It's a shame really when you think about it. We may be glad that Wally-Mart might carry these toys, but I imagine they're losing money on every one that's sold through the retail giant, because of their "cost-cutting" policies. Note the huge difference in retail price at most any online retailers. They [Wal Mart] slash the prices by $10 or more right off the top; I imagine the profit margin is cut to nil. There are other stories about how the chain uses its economic clout to bully suppliers into contracts that cut their profits to nothing.

Anyways, the Jugs are currently the most common on their shelves, with the occasional desert Stuka or Me109. I've seen some sites with the "Marines Dream" Corsair for reasonable prices, about $52...

Hows it a shame? They sell many more things aside toys, so for whatever cost cut they do on toys, they make up in profits from other venues like food in electronics, thing with walmart, they sell damn near everything cheap and a ton of people shop there so trust me even if they sell 1/18 planes for less, they aren't really losing much money at all.

Besides....the avenger from what I read, will NOT be 39.99@walmart...it is confirmed to be sold at walmart later this year but most of us think it will be 54.99(and be happy the online price is 54.99 too....some sites were listing it up for preorder for 80$ before 21st gave out the msrp).

And marine's dream and the new corsair repaint from BBI are@TRU for 45.99. The old crow P-51 mustang repaint is out as well for 39.99. The black kiowa just came out as well for 19.99. And the new figs and paratroops can be found@TRU.

I had no idea BBI's lines of figures were so extensive and varied. These figs certainly kick the s--t out of the old 80's GI Joe toys in the way of accuracy and detail. But then again, I'm sure the price reflects that too. Come to think of it. I'd bet that's the audience companies like BBI are aiming at: kids of the 80's who grew up with the old 1/18 Joes etc, who are probably looking to recapture those good feelings from their youth, only with a good deal more sophistication? Or, they may just be looking to make some kick-a$$ toys, coincidentally in the same scale?

Some of those were 4.99, so actually cheaper than some gijoe figures. The paratroopers were 6.99. Kind of on track where what you were going with, when gijoe left mass market, it became a TRU exclusive in the late 90s. Since TRU wanted something in the absence of mass market gijoe(to fill in their place), 21st century toys made the 1/18 ultimate soldier 1/18 scale line(which was an expansion of their 1/6 scale line which TRU was already selling). 21st started off with WWII toys in 1/18 back in 2000.

Thing is, 1/18 XD left TRU a couple years later, and ended up getting picked up by walmart, where it has the crappiest distribution in comparison(when it was @TRU, I was ALWAYS able to find stuff even though I wasn't collecting it back then, but at walmart now>? HELL no...God...I have not even seen the new tool mustang OR starfighter with my own eyes...and the starfighter S1 has been out since last summer!). When it got to walmart, the msrp for planes was also raised up by 10$.

To fill in the void that 21st century toys was leaving@TRU, BBI toys came into the fray and became a TRU and online/hobby store exclusive. Thing is BBI stepped up the level of detail, articulation, and mold accuracy. Their P-51 totally OWNS the old 21st XD P-51. Not to mention, BBI was the 1st to put in modern 1/18 scale jets...they surprised everyone with their hornet, and their 1/18 scale big helos. While 21st made a Huey, BBI came out with a freaking apache. Huge difference.

So I think BBI is making these toys for the guys who grew up with small gijoes. Back when I was a kid, I liked the gijoe scale even though the vehicles were out of scale. For what hasbro had to work with, they did a good job. But I wanted more...I knew when I got older things would be better and some company would make realistic 1/18 scaled toys. And this is why I love BBI.

And which is why I still yearn for a 1.18 scale tomcat. I don't care who tells me its too big.

I'll eventually get a Jug...thats a huge bird.

Hows it a shame? They sell many more things aside toys, so for whatever cost cut they do on toys, they make up in profits from other venues like food in electronics, thing with walmart, they sell damn near everything cheap and a ton of people shop there so trust me even if they sell 1/18 planes for less, they aren't really losing much money at all.

Oh no, I didn't mean Wal Mart losing profits--I know at the end of the day they're gonna get paid, regardless. Sorry, I meant the suppliers themselves, like BBI, or Huffy Bicycles, or [best example I remember reading about once] Vlasic Pickles. Remember those rediculous big gallon jugs of pickles they used to sell for some rediculous price like $1.99 or something? IIRC, the Vlasic guy in the article I read said something to the effect that the company has never sold so many pickles in its history. But, because Wal-Mart got them to slash the prices so deep for those jugs of pickles, they're in essence losing money with every jug they sell. But the Wal Mart contract is so big and important, they can't exactly tell them to go screw themselves. Similar situation for Huffy.

Ah i see now.

Have any of you guys picked up the new BBI corsair? Or old crow P-51?

And Kingnor, the latest lightning out is the pudgy V special edition. I am considering getting that if they still have some available by the end of the year. I hope BBI makes one. With my experience, I think 21st is good, but BBI seems more suited to my tastes, but it won't stop me from collecting both. I'd just like to see what BBI could come up with.

Also I hope we hear soon about a BBI hellcat or A-10. If there were big items coming from them that would shock us, those 2 would be it.

And hopefully a tigercat and bearcat are made as well.

• 1 month later...

For you gijoe fans....

Some of you know about Target's Combat Command line from BBI. While TRU has the realistically scaled 1/18 scaled elite force line, Target has the "joe scale" line, made to fit in with your gijoe stuff and with similarly out of scaled vehicles but give you a bang for your buck.

The HIND was $12.99 and certainly worth more. IT had a ton of stuff. Sure it was joe scaled and for that matter out of scale, but for the price, who cared?

Anyways its on clearance@target for $3.24 now, and I picked it up yesterday. Here are pics

http://www.pointsofarticulation.com/phpBB2...php?p=2395#2395

Pick it up!

• 15 years later...

BBI, Elite Force, The Ultimate Soldier X-D, 21st Century Toys, JSI, Merit, Motorworks...  It went through several different names and brandings, but it was the finest military toyline of all time.

1098895719_theBBIfleet.jpg.eb22bf8dd128d44d0f4f0832f2925639.jpg

entranceeast.jpg.4d3d097a793beaf9f7cc9c8931793738.jpg

3104.JPG.6950a884df3c2d4cef9a47324c3cca52.JPG

3080.JPG.3a3ac0847688d1ac002f858eae87481f.JPG

1923107934_BlackHawk.jpg.dc3ca3fe29cb9a8b86671bedcb0f408d.jpg

827106339_BlackHawkinterior.jpg.48d16affdfb153b09d283a711642e075.jpg

I fear we shall never see its like again. :(

Edited by tekering

54 minutes ago, tekering said:

BBI, Elite Force, The Ultimate Soldier X-D, 20th Century Toys...  It went through several different names and brandings, but it was the finest military toyline of all time.

1098895719_theBBIfleet.jpg.eb22bf8dd128d44d0f4f0832f2925639.jpg

3080.JPG.3a3ac0847688d1ac002f858eae87481f.JPG

I fear we shall never see its like again. :(

Great collection as always, @tekering. :shok::good:

Mind if I ask what brands are these F-14 and F-16? And does it come painted like that or you worked on it as well? Thanks in advance. Again, great collection. ;)