Jump to content

The 1/18 Scale Super Thread! Gi Joes, Bbi,et Al


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, tekering said:

BBI, Elite Force, The Ultimate Soldier X-D, 20th Century Toys...  It went through several different names and brandings, but it was the finest military toyline of all time.

1098895719_theBBIfleet.jpg.eb22bf8dd128d44d0f4f0832f2925639.jpg

entranceeast.jpg.4d3d097a793beaf9f7cc9c8931793738.jpg

3104.JPG.6950a884df3c2d4cef9a47324c3cca52.JPG

3080.JPG.3a3ac0847688d1ac002f858eae87481f.JPG

1923107934_BlackHawk.jpg.dc3ca3fe29cb9a8b86671bedcb0f408d.jpg

827106339_BlackHawkinterior.jpg.48d16affdfb153b09d283a711642e075.jpg

I fear we shall never see its like again. :(

I've always wanted a fully transformable VF-1 the size of that tomcat. That thing is beautiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Mind if I ask what brands are these F-14 and F-16? And does it come painted like that or you worked on it as well?

The F-16 was released under BBI's "Elite Force" imprint, and came very nicely painted. :good:

31917145_1.jpg?v=8D65320387FEAB0

They can still be found on the secondary market, but they tend to fetch several hundred dollars (even in used condition).

The F-14 was released by JS International, after BBI folded:

score.jpg

It's also beautifully detailed, but the spotty weathering was somewhat controversial.

untouched.jpg

I did some selective repainting to my original one, and it still hangs above my stairwell:

589748453_Theotherbigbird.jpg.bfb4555d3ec782c8f050d69c61c43eed.jpg

...but I'm leaving the boxed one as-is, considering its aftermarket value. B))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, tekering said:

The F-16 was released under BBI's "Elite Force" imprint, and came very nicely painted. :good:

31917145_1.jpg?v=8D65320387FEAB0

They can still be found on the secondary market, but they tend to fetch several hundred dollars (even in used condition).

The F-14 was released by JS International, after BBI folded:

score.jpg

It's also beautifully detailed, but the spotty weathering was somewhat controversial.

untouched.jpg

I did some selective repainting to my original one, and it still hangs above my stairwell:

589748453_Theotherbigbird.jpg.bfb4555d3ec782c8f050d69c61c43eed.jpg

...but I'm leaving the boxed one as-is, considering its aftermarket value. B))

Thanks @tekering.  They're just gorgeous. :wub:

I now remember seeing those Elite Force boxes like late 2000's. I remember seeing an Apache Helicopter. Oh man, if only I known. :rolleyes:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mark-1s said:

I've always wanted a fully transformable VF-1 the size of that tomcat.

The PLAMAX kits are a similar scale, actually...

sihouette.jpg

...but they're non-transformable, of course. :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tekering said:

The PLAMAX kits are a similar scale, actually...

sihouette.jpg

...but they're non-transformable, of course. :unsure:

True. But atleast there's already 2 modes available from Plamax. One more, you can now display all modes in full glory. :rolleyes: 

Though we might need extra room to display all 3 modes. :unsure: 

Or display them strategically. Fighter and Gerwalk hanging from the ceiling. Battroid standing guard by the door. :good: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, no3Ljm said:

I now remember seeing those Elite Force boxes like late 2000's. I remember seeing an Apache Helicopter.

The Apache's great, but I prefer the sleek lines of its immediate predecessor, the AH-1W Super Cobra.

2115775290_SuperCobraarrives.jpg.78545fa40a8083cc466601535f6d963d.jpg

It's got access panels for maintenance, engine repair, and a removable toolbox:

1396015784_SuperCobraaccess.jpg.ad091e68a4e1310938adbd09def1e079.jpg

A highly detailed set of flight controls for both pilot and co-pilot:

136485060_SuperCobracockpit.jpg.4aeecdbe1a638cbd63ed0921e4f54f73.jpg

Engine detailing and authentic markings:

1909454933_SuperCobraengines.jpg.932f90c62ba67deefc970acd0b3a3e47.jpg

...and shelf presence to spare. B))

1521206700_SuperCobraprofile.jpg.e3e9931a1ec2b26ec9157aee3fe2a031.jpg

This was the most recent addition to my collection, and I had to pay a hefty late tax on the secondary market. :vava:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That "late tax" is the primary thing stopping me from getting more of these.. well, that, and lack of dedicated display space. :p 

I still beat myself up over never getting the MiG-15 and F-86 when they were clogging the shelves of my local Wal-Mart, though I was glad to get one of the F-104 releases.

I always wish they had expanded a little more on the 1/32 line they did, since those were a lot more manageable in terms of space and price.  I only saw a smattering of WWII aircraft in that lineup, and snagged a Corsair and Thunderbolt at least, but I think the smaller scale hurt their durability as "toys."  I've kept that Corsair on my desk at work for years, but the landing gear are pretty fragile, and didn't survive the 2019 earthquake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...