The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

I don't find iDrive hard to use but rather useless to have. Like you were confirming, you still take the conventional quick step route to get to all of your interior features and work around the iDrive.

The M5 has an awesome motor, but you're stuck with the SMG transmission and the interior and exterior styling is subjective. You're almost better off saving the 20grand and purchasing a 550i and then throwing down 4 grand to get better performance numbers. At least that way you get a 6 speed, and a motor that you're not scared to mess with (there was an article on M5 vs 550i in car and driver that was quite excellent on this matter). When/If BMW releases the M5 in Manual, then i'll have some more respect for the car as a whole, but the SMG really drags that car down a lot in my book (along with the M6).

I see your point now. I'm just easily entranced with fancy doodads in cars. :lol: Speaking about fancy doodads, I'm reminded of that Top Gear episode where they asked to ride with a Mercedes engineer in the new S class to test how great the automatic emergency braking system was in foggy conditions. The car slowed down but still plowed into the back of the obstacle car! You can imagine the smartass remarks from the Top Gear crew... :lol:

Yeah, the SMG is severely lacking. I hear that VW's DSG system is much more polished.

Yeah, the SMG is severely lacking. I hear that VW's DSG system is much more polished.

Porsche is supposed to have one that's top notch too in their new 911 Turbo; I still prefer having a manual transmission, there's something about the setup that gives you an almost spiritual connection to your vehicle that you don't get with the autos (no matter how fancy the three letter acronym is). :lol:

exterior styling is subjective.

i find the 5 to be the most beautiful car on the road. still gets a small "wow" out of me everytime I see one.

and don't even get me started on the M5.

Right out of the box the 335i is a Supra killer, and at 40grand it debut at 10grand less than the Supra did 14 years ago, i'm just waiting for some aftermarket shops to start turning ridiculous numbers from this car.

"Supra killer" :wacko: yippie

neither.

a bunch of the new Eclipse's were DOA because the batteries were leaking acid on the freakin lots right after they were released.

its probably why you only see them on the raod once in a blue moon. unlike the old ones which are probably the second most common car behind a civic.

"Supra killer" :wacko: yippie

The idea isn't to glorify the supra but to compare it to the only car that's in its class since they both have identical engines and layouts.

Personally i find the 5 series to be okay, it doesn't scream sofistication like the previous body design did. The whole rear end looks no better than a Camry's, but i really enjoy the contour lines and the more agressive front bumper. The head lights look like they were jacked from an accord and the tail lights looked like they were jacked from an Impreza and put little "horns" on the tips of both. The M with it's more aggressive styling and the fender accents definitely improves the overall design a LOT but i'm still not feeling the head/tail light design for such an expensive automobile. It definitely doesn't evoke any kind of "wow" from me, but whatever floats your boat.

Oh.. and an Eclipse and a 6 shouldn't even be compared, the eclipse is barely a car where as the 6 is a well built and reliable sedan with the option of being a very nice and zippy street car.

Edited by emajnthis

I think its more like Bangle did it first ====> then all the Japanese cars you compared it to.

its what they do best afterall.... ripping off the Germans and making it more cheaper and reliable :D

as far as styling is concerned the germans have always lead the pack then all the Lexus' and Honda's of the world have followed suit several months later with their own homoginized versions of "two tone tailights" "dual lens headlight configurations" and "flame licked orgami lines". for half the price. ^_^

Personally i find the 5 series to be okay, it doesn't scream sofistication like the previous body design did. The whole rear end looks no better than a Camry's, but i really enjoy the contour lines and the more agressive front bumper. The head lights look like they were jacked from an accord and the tail lights looked like they were jacked from an Impreza and put little "horns" on the tips of both.

Aaauugh, the indignity!!! - coming from a current 5 series owner. :p

Anyways, my mouth did water when I heard about the sequential twin turbo inline 6 in the new 3 series coupe. That's going to be butter.

Mazda6, by a considerable margin. My Mom bought one a a little over a year ago and it's a great car.

The Eclipse has the unfortnate distinction of being a Mitsubishi.

The Eclipse was cool in it's first 2 generations...it has now been "eclipsed" by most others now....

I think the block used is the older non-valvetronic Iron block. Might be wrong though.

If it was the old cast iron block i wouldn't have cared for it, but it's definitely been confirmed as an all aluminum block with variable cam timing, which does provoke drooling :lol:

*also; sorry for the harsh criticism of the new 5 series, i just have a deeper attachment to the previous design and the feel it evokes. The 5 series styling looks great with the M5 (and even the 550i) because it has that more agressive stance and wheels that fill up the fenders and gives you the feeling of a fast vehicle, but just doesn't look civil or sophisticated like european cars tend to look. The three series is the opposite, where the sedan looks absolutely amazing and agressive and the coupe looks terribly bland.

Edited by emajnthis

It's definitely not the aluminum magnesium block. I read a huge article in car & Driver and every other auto magazine that stated that the alum-magn block wasn't strong enough to withstand the extra stresses caused from the turbocharger. BMW instead went to an all aluminum (not sure if its cast or forged, but either way it's strong enough for turbo charging) block which weighs just a little bit more, but is a LOT stronger and certainly weighs much less than a cast iron block. Also if i remember right it's only variable cam on the intake stroke (like most cars), but i have to dig up the articles that mentioned it more in detail to be sure.

Edited by emajnthis

The three series is the opposite, where the sedan looks absolutely amazing and agressive and the coupe looks terribly bland.

yeah I know what you mean.... I live in San Diego and have seen all but one... I saw one in Tucson, AZ two months ago of all places before even seeing one in SoCal (which seems crazy to me) so maybe the "ho hum" styling of the coupe is the reason for this. atleast I know the one I saw just looked... ok.

not enough of the sharp lines that the sedan has I guess... and while the taillights kinda reminded me of the ones the updated 7 series got the whole backend just looked real boring.

Here's the specs from car and driver on the 335i Sedan, which is incidentally faster than the lighter 335i coupe (My guess is the Sedan has better weight distr. and a more rigid chassis).

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

Price as tested: $44,445 (base price: $39,395)

Engine type: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve inline-6, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 182 cu in, 2979cc

Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5800 rpm

Torque (SAE net): 300 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm

Transmission: 6-speed manual

Wheelbase: 108.7 in

Length/width/height: 178.2/71.5/55.9 in

Curb weight: 3616 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 11.8 sec

Zero to 140 mph: 26.1 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.6 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 13.5 sec @ 106 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 157 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g

EPA fuel economy, city/highway: 19/28 mpg (C/D est)

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests...335i-sedan.html

The article doesn't mention what VVT technology they're using, but i was able to pick it out at road and track.

It has VANOS variable camshaft timing, though it does without the valvetronic variable valve lift seen on the N52.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=3948

There really aren't a lot of turbo cars (i can think of only one) that come with variable valve lift control, so this isn't a big stink.

* and my thoughts on the coupe body were exactly what poonman thought; they fixed the tail lights but then everything else became bland in the process

Edited by emajnthis

Seriously, 0 - 60 in 4.8 seconds with a street start 5 - 60 of 5.6 seconds?!!! That's faster than my RX7! Wow, to be blazing fast AND have the German sophistication and luxury... that's great.

The pricetag is where it gives me pause, but it looks like you get what you pay for.

Oh and Emajnthis, I don't mind at all your criticism of the current 5 series, I do realize everyone has different tastes and at least we can talk about it without resorting to the usual tired internet bickering. :) It's not like you walked up to my house and egged my car. :lol:

yeah that sticker price is CRAZY.... cars are getting to be so freakin expensive these days....

I for one know that driving a shiny new beemer is not worth lowering my living standards in other areas like getting a cheaper apartment etc.

Its the "socal" way to live ghetto fabulous... live in a crap apartment/house in the south bay or have five roomates and drive a new car but I refuse to live like that.

eventually one day when I'm making tons of cash I'll have it all but until then I don't see how having a car payment thats almost as much as my rent would be worth it... :wacko:

Seriously, 0 - 60 in 4.8 seconds with a street start 5 - 60 of 5.6 seconds?!!! That's faster than my RX7! Wow, to be blazing fast AND have the German sophistication and luxury... that's great.

The pricetag is where it gives me pause, but it looks like you get what you pay for.

Oh and Emajnthis, I don't mind at all your criticism of the current 5 series, I do realize everyone has different tastes and at least we can talk about it without resorting to the usual tired internet bickering. :) It's not like you walked up to my house and egged my car. :lol:

I couldn't believe the numbers when i saw them either, i expected the beemer to be good but not that good, which is why i have kind of been hot on the heels of its progress. I still think its funny how its standing times are better than its rolling times because of the conservative setup they're using.

It's always good to be able to give an opinion on something and not have everyone come down on you like a ton of bricks, it really lets you appreciate that there are still some well informed auto enthusiasts left in the world.

I would probably steal his RX-7 instead :lol:

LOL, you can try, but it hasn't run in half a year and has all sorts of parts taken out. :p

The problem is that whenever I get it almost running, I either have to take it apart again or install other parts I got tempted into buying. For example, after my latest batch of mods, I got a notification in the mail that I had to smog my car. So then I had to remove everything I just installed. *groan* Now, I've just been too busy to put things back together to go and take it in for a smog.