The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

This is the new Mercedes Benz SCL600. Nothing too spectacular from looking at the outside, right? "No steering wheel, you drive it with a joystick. No pedals either. Can you drive with a joystick? Your kids and grandkids probably can. The influence of video games in our lives has really arrived, wouldn't ya say?"

post-1488-1166105667_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1166105685_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1166105701_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1166105716_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1166105730_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Ugh. Can you imagine trying to clean or detail those wheels? As for the stick, this is just a concept or a prototype work, right?

I'm guessing this is just a concept car. I believe the whole idea of driving with a joystick has been conceptualized before, but deemed impractical--after all, as "crude" as they may seem, steering wheel and pedals offer a tactile sensation and level of feedback that I just don't think a joystick could equal.

I'm guessing this is just a concept car. I believe the whole idea of driving with a joystick has been conceptualized before, but deemed impractical--after all, as "crude" as they may seem, steering wheel and pedals offer a tactile sensation and level of feedback that I just don't think a joystick could equal.

i Completely agree, i don't see a Joy Stick replacing the steering wheel anytime soon. How many letter variations is MB going to use? SL CL CLS SCL, they don't even make sense anymore just like their displacement numbers not making sense anymore (BMW included). The only german company that still makes sense is Audi, class is alpha numeric then displacement is and drivetrain is written on the rear.

It's most definitely a concept car. As for joysticks, indeed it is an old old concept. I just broke open my encyclopedia dated back to 1975 and found pictures of a GM concept with a joystick. Of course it looked all 70s style with tons of cheap plastic chrome, square gauges, and skinny tall fonts for numbers.

Then you can finish up that RX-7 and then run me down with it, because the day a Mustang wagon debuts is the day I need to just go... :wacko:

-Oh, and I never thought that Porsche SUV would sell-heck I see more of those around San Diego than Carrera's, 911's or any other types of Porsche's...

I wouldn't be the farm on it. This is not the first time Ford's played with the idea. There are some '65 or '66 Mustangs with "wagon" rear ends on them floating around out there, but thankfully, they didn't start making Mustang wagons then, either. Don't have any pics conveniently available, but they do exist.

Then you can finish up that RX-7 and then run me down with it, because the day a Mustang wagon debuts is the day I need to just go... :wacko:

-Oh, and I never thought that Porsche SUV would sell-heck I see more of those around San Diego than Carrera's, 911's or any other types of Porsche's...

Hahahha, let's not get melodramatic or anything. :)

As for finishing up the car, I swear the worst part of working on any car is waiting for parts.

Yeah, I see a grip of Cayenne's all over the place and the scariest thing is when you see a Cayenne Turbo barrelling down the avenue with a soccer mom yakking into her cell while 3 brats are screaming and jumping all over the back seat while she occasionally glances at the road.

Speaking about similar platforms, anyone see that vid of the Diesel VW Taureg towing a 747? That's some crazy stump pulling power.

Speaking about similar platforms, anyone see that vid of the Diesel VW Taureg towing a 747? That's some crazy stump pulling power.

Keyword in that sentence is diesel. You could put a proper diesel motor in a Smart and it could tow a 747, I've never been a fan of the VW Cayenne7

I'm curious as to the buyer demographic for the Cayenne; it seems to me that the buyer seeking a luxury marque SUV with performance in its genes would go for a 'Merc, BMW or something along those lines. Why or how do they decide on a Porsche? Porsche, at least to me, is a name that is associated with the epitome of German sports-car performance available to those that can afford it, not well-to-do soccer mom and her screaming brats.

Ah well, I guess I have to be able to afford one to understand...

I'm curious as to the buyer demographic for the Cayenne; it seems to me that the buyer seeking a luxury marque SUV with performance in its genes would go for a 'Merc, BMW or something along those lines. Why or how do they decide on a Porsche? Porsche, at least to me, is a name that is associated with the epitome of German sports-car performance available to those that can afford it, not well-to-do soccer mom and her screaming brats.

Ah well, I guess I have to be able to afford one to understand...

I think the idea behind the Cayenne was making a 1 Porsche family, a 2 Porsche family.

The Cayenne was made because VW pressured them to make it (so they could monopolize and exploit it like they do with all of their subsidiaries), at the time Porsche had the Carerra GT on their plate which they had to put on hold because of that Cayenne piece of crap.

The article A7 posted was interesting, there definitely need to be more RWD sedans on the market that aren't German and cost a fortune.

That better be Oprah's husband with that Vette, cause if not, that man officially has no gonads and no right to that car.

I've seen those boxy Scion vans in Japan plastered with Ayumi Hamasaki all over the side, but most of those owners were women. Besides, it's an econobox. Now the Vette, man, how does a guy justify that crap to his friends and fellow enthusiasts?!

• 2 weeks later...