The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

ok, that kinda looks cool. The spoiler needs to be a couple inches taller, but the bubble roof looks good on that car, and the upwards exaust is cool too.

Any of you guys ever clay-bar and then wax your car? I've never waxed any of my cars for as long as I've owned them, and washed them every 2 years. After applying the clay bar, which literally felt as if I was sanding wood, my finishes look like new. Try it out!

Of course, it rained two days later....

Any of you guys ever clay-bar and then wax your car?  I've never waxed any of my cars for as long as I've owned them, and washed them every 2 years.  After applying the clay bar, which literally felt as if I was sanding wood, my finishes look like new.  Try it out!

Of course, it rained two days later....

421178[/snapback]

thats what your supposed to do, the clay bar only cleans the paint, you need to protect it with wax

it uses the older slk320 platform and motor; what a piece.  It's funny because Mercedes is suppose to be on the cutting edge, but all of their motors are very primitive (with the exception of the new 6.2liter AMG V8 and their 6.0liter V12).  What's more sad is how unreliable Chryslers are now that they're using the underpowered gas guzzling Mercedes 90 degree V6's.

420086[/snapback]

that's why it was really a "hostile Takeover" instead of a real "merger"....

420189[/snapback]

oh yeah, Im was on a chrysler program when the axe hit, a lot of higher ups were on the street

I just clayed about 1/4 of my car to prep for my scratch removal/touch-up painting. There's no question it makes a heck of a difference. Plus it's the ONLY way to get off rail dust, which I get a ton of. (Almost every car in town has it, if you look)

Don't forget to clay your wheels!

Still haven't found any way to get the (I think) blue paint off my car--you know when the city sprays the water lines for construction--somehow I got a glob of it on my rear bumper (the color matches at least), and NOTHING gets it off---I've gotten a small amount off by literally scraping with my thumbnail for a while, but no solvent affects it. I may literally slice it off with a razor.

When did they finally redesign the Focus?

422218[/snapback]

The new Focus has been in the European, African, Asian and Australian markets for two years already. Unfortunately, the folks in Dearborn have no plans to release the Mk. II in the US, claiming there's no market for a new Focus around here.

Still haven't found any way to get the (I think) blue paint off my car--you know when the city sprays the water lines for construction--somehow I got a glob of it on my rear bumper (the color matches at least), and NOTHING gets it off---I've gotten a small amount off by literally scraping with my thumbnail for a while, but no solvent affects it.  I may literally slice it off with a razor.

422257[/snapback]

Don't use a razor on it. Try a few minutes of claybar. If that doesn't work, try using 3M rubbing compound.

Many minutes with a claybar didn't do a thing. Tarminator almost did something. Will try the rubbing compound. I'm amazed how it stuck---isn't that sort of paint supposed to be temporary?

PS--anyone tried nanowax?

Many minutes with a claybar didn't do a thing.  Tarminator almost did something.  Will try the rubbing compound.  I'm amazed how it stuck---isn't that sort of paint supposed to be temporary?

PS--anyone tried nanowax?

422295[/snapback]

Wow, that overspray must be really tough. The rubbing compound should do the trick.

As for EagleOne Nanowax, I tried it and didn't like it. I'll stick with Meguiar's NXT.

What color clay bar are you using? Different colors are supposed to indicate different abrasive levels of the clay. Naturally, you don't want to grate the paint off, but maybe you need a more harsh bar to get out that overspray. Also, I forget the color system of the clay bars-help me out 7!

Yeah, I just use the blue Clay Magic. AFAIK only "professional" clay colors mean anything---if it's off the shelf, it's whatever color that manufacturer makes, they're all fairly close at the consumer level.

It's not overspray, it's a glob. A long thin glob, very much like you'd get from splattered tar, or gum. Only it's bright blue. So it's thick--probably thicker than the clearcoat itself, laying on top of the clearcoat. And almost rock hard.

When did they finally redesign the Focus?

422218[/snapback]

The new Focus has been in the European, African, Asian and Australian markets for two years already. Unfortunately, the folks in Dearborn have no plans to release the Mk. II in the US, claiming there's no market for a new Focus around here.

422291[/snapback]

I know we got the Mk. II's front end.....but if they made the whole thing, they'd probably sell more cars....the rear on that car (minus the extra stuff that Wolf added on) looks better than the US market cars...

I know we got the Mk. II's front end.....but if they made the whole thing, they'd probably sell more cars....the rear on that car (minus the extra stuff that Wolf added on) looks better than the US market cars...

422437[/snapback]

Alternatively you could just buy a Mazda3, which is pretty much the same car, but looks better and will have a better resale value.

LOL, completely true, I got to drive a Mazda 3, i can see why everyone who owns one doesn't want to sell it. They drive wonderfully, and have all of the options you would need for a car of it's size and class. Now you just have to wait for the Turbo SPEED model, i think it's due sometime next year.

Ford had their chance with the Focus, but really screwed it up. They should have brought the European styling (along with the better motors and options) stateside at its debut (MkII).

Edited by emajnthis

Styling at a price, it's kind of hard to see out of, especially if you have the hatch model. The Mazda 3 SPEED should be AWD IMO but then it would cannibalize on 6 SPEED sales since it would perform WAY better. Even so, the AWD on the mazda's isn't refined like it is on a Subaru or Nissan. It's more comparable to Toyota or Honda AWD, where it's really FWD but then locks once the wheels skip which is great for bad weather but crap when it comes to performance (my brother used to own an AWD element, and you could get the front wheels to burn for a good 2 seconds which is a lot for an "AWD" car).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if sales of the upcoming Challenger prove a success--which I'm sure they could--then a special edition kinda like these could follow. Somebody needs to go have a talk with Doctor Z.

*knock knock knock* Hey, Dr. Z! You listening in there? You need to get with it, man. You ain't got your ear to the pulse of your car buying public here in the US! Those cutsie commercials are funny and all, but enough! Knock it off with the TV spots, tell your boys to get off their ARSES and get it in gear! Get those Challengers to the showrooms already, before it's too late!

They say history has a tendency to repeat itself. Let's hope not in the case of the automotive market here in the States. Oh sure, Americans are being stubborn right now; we're pretty insistent on having our cake and eating it too, when it comes to expressing ourselves with what we keep in the garage/driveway. But if fuel market trends continue as they're going--and I feel they likely will--then [premium] gas prices will continue to rise. I fear that OPEC and their cronies will effectively KILL the muscle car market a second time [and SUV's too for that matter]. We'll not likely see gas come back down under $2.00 a gallon ever again in our lifetimes. By the time Chevy and Dodge get their s--t together, it could very well be too late. They could conceivably get their product to market just in time to see the segment sales dry up.

post-1488-1155873427_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1155873443_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1155873463_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Yes, from "insane" to "much higher than before". Mass oil company conspiracy theory:

2.00 gas isn't profitable enough. Reduce supply so that people get used to paying 3.00 for a little while. Then bring down to 2.50. 2.50 is such a "relief" from 3.00 that people are happy to pay 2.50 now and forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile, in NASCAR, the final 10 contenders for the NEXTEL Cup Championship have been named:

1. Matt Kenseth (Leader)

2. Jimmie Johnson (-5)

3. Kevin Harvick (-10)

4. Kyle Busch (-15)

5. Denny Hamlin (-20)

6. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (-25)

7. Mark Martin (-30)

8. Jeff Burton (-35)

9. Jeff Gordon (-40)

10. Kasey Kahne (-45)

Last year's champion Tony Stewart failed to secure a top 10 spot on Saturday's race. At 11th place, this marks the first time he'll miss the Chase for the Championship. Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards and Kurt Busch, who were in last year's top 10, also missed the chase. They're ranked at 12, 13 and 14, respectively.

Wow, I almost forgot to check back on the boards. Lots of stuff happened while they were down. Not only did Australia lose iconic nature/TV personality Steve Irwin, but in the same week tragedy struck twice when racing legend Peter Brock was killed during the Targa Australia, when his car left the road and struck a tree. Talk about a bum week for the Aussies.

post-1488-1158538764_thumb.jpg

If there's one thing about the Chase for the Championship, it's the way one accident or false move can greatly change the standings. Jimmie Johnson, who was second last week, took a nose-dive to ninth after slamming the outside wall. Johnson's teammate Kyle Busch also had an encounter with the wall, sliding down six slots to 10th.

Matt Kenseth, who was the points leader last week, slid to third after Kevin Harvick won today's race (making him the new leader) and rookie Denny Hamlin scored a top-3 finish (putting him in second). If Harvick stays consistent, he will be the first-ever driver to win both the NEXTEL Cup Championship and the Busch Series Championship within the same year.

1. Kevin Harvick (leader)

2. Denny Hamlin (-35)

3. Matt Kenseth (-41)

4. Jeff Gordon (-50)

5. Jeff Burton (-64)

6. Mark Martin (-75)

7. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (-81)

8. Kasey Kahne (-110)

9. Jimmie Johnson (-139)

10. Kyle Busch (-146)