The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

ummmkay.....that dash has waaaaayyyyy too many buttons...

I don't think that's too bad, some recent luxo cars like the Acura RL have small buttons galore in the center console. Although, I have to admit, pushing little buttons in a luxury car is probably not as hazardous as doing it while breaking speed limits in something as fast as a Koenigsegg. :)

Man, those leather Sparco seats are gorgeous...

Edited by Seven

Looks like the Koenigsegg will hit the US market after all...

Well, I may be in the minority, but my excitement level is at about a 1/10 for this.

All these mid-engine cars look alike, and look like they were drawn in a highschooler's notebook. I know those lines work great for some people, but they bore me.

If performance isn't mated to a beautiful (or interesting) exterior, it just doesn't register with me.

Strange, exotics used to be the most imaginative and beautiful cars on the market...now they seem to be among the most tired.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Richard Hammond AKA Hamster of Top Gear is in critical condition after crashing a jet car while filming an episode.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/eng...6.stm

Your link doesnt seem to work, but here's one that does: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/5366422.stm

Says he's improving, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn thats a sweet Stang. A7 what are your thoughts on the GT500 and the Shelby GT? Do you think we'll see a Boss or a Bullitt any time soon?

the Boss is coming....2 more years of waiting....

that Mustang's kinda nice, just one little thing wrong with it....the back "gas cap" needs to be chrome to match the accents all over the car.

the Boss is coming....2 more years of waiting....

that Mustang's kinda nice, just one little thing wrong with it....the back "gas cap" needs to be chrome to match the accents all over the car.

Good eye. I agree. I don't know why they went with the cap that they used.

At that level of price and customization, the gas cap is a moot point, left to the purchaser to do with as they please. I HATE chrome myself, so that would be one less piece I'd have to change out...

Well, the interior's certainly less gaudy than that of the Mustang. They need to lose the carbon fibre[?] panels right behind the doors--sticks out like a sore thumb, and detracts from the overall looks of the car. Like putting a polka-dot bow-tie on with a fine suit.

Edited by reddsun1

Well, the interior's certainly less gaudy than that of the Mustang. They need to lose the carbon fibre[?] panels right behind the doors--sticks out like a sore thumb, and detracts from the overall looks of the car. Like putting a polka-dot bow-tie on with a fine suit.

I don't think you can really compare the interiors between the two. One is a rocketman American muscle and the other is Euro luxo exotica. That's like comparing Britney Spears to Monica Belluci.

As for the panels, I kind of agree but they were part of the original design from the very start. The designer probably harbors strong feelings about them to keep them there from the very start. I think they were a silver color in earlier prototypes instead of the flat black. The one thing I miss from the proto to final model is the LED headlights, even if the technology still has to be perfected.

Edited by Seven

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can really compare the interiors between the two. One is a rocketman American muscle and the other is Euro luxo exotica. That's like comparing Britney Spears to Monica Belluci.

As for the panels, I kind of agree but they were part of the original design from the very start. The designer probably harbors strong feelings about them to keep them there from the very start. I think they were a silver color in earlier prototypes instead of the flat black. The one thing I miss from the proto to final model is the LED headlights, even if the technology still has to be perfected.

thank you for posting that Audi. I know you guys are mustang fans but I was going to post some pics of a German machine myself just because that plastic bumblebee was starting to hurt my eyes :wacko:

the carbon fiber interior touches go way back to the RS4 (which they never sold over here) that had it on the door panels and across the dash. Audi's are reknown for having the best interiors and I'm sure if you got in that thing you'd know why.. the carbon inside also accents the huge carbon panels on the outside. very nice.

I miss my A4 dearly....

It's not that we're "Mustang Fans" it's just that there are only a handful of German cars that are worth mention. That is admittedly changing a lot with BMW's new releases (335i coupe/sedan, M3) and Audi's new releases (RS4, RS6, R8), not to mention the aftermarket (Heffner Twin Turbo Gallardo, lamborghini is more Euro than Italian now a days but in a good way).

pretty much any year of any BMW ///M and Audi S-line car is worth mentioning.

style and balls. gotta love those german machines. unlike the extremely lopsided Mustang that assaulted my eyes above.... interior looks like it was done by one of those hacks from "Unique Autosports"... man do they know how to destroy a car Jersey style.... :wacko:

Well in all honesty i find the 335i a greater Gem than the upcoming M3; the M5, M6, and M Roadster/Coupe are all a waste of time and money. The "New" M3 is just a two door version of the old M5 (which i loved dearly) and the new M5 got crappied up with idrive and an automatic transmission, and just a quick glance at the M6 will give you nausea. The 335i, now that's a BMW with the automotive purist in mind.

I love Audi's styling and engineering but they seem to drive terribly after you hit 80,000 miles even with proper maintenance. But you can't deny the wonderful interiors and the break-neck speed engines they throw in their RS/S line... i still hate the TT though, there's no redeeming qualities in that car.

I have to agree with you 100% on Unique autosports being the biggest hacks to ever own/run a shop.

I really don't understand what the big gripe about Idrive is. I own a 2005 5 series and I got used to and adept with the Idrive in all of 30 minutes. I really think the magazine critics that do the most griping are 50 year old men that also can't program a VCR or figure out a TV remote.

And I can't understand how crap and the new M5 are synonymous. It's got a great V10 engine and the interior looks top notch to me. I do understand people's criticism of Bangle and Van Hooydonk exterior designs, I can't stand the Z4 or Z4 coupe.

Also, I'm as far as one could say is a Mustang fan. While I can appreciate the attraction that domestic cars have in the raw power aspect, I'm a fan of more "multidimensional" cars in the vein of Italian/European and some Japanese cars.

I really don't understand what the big gripe about Idrive is. I own a 2005 5 series and I got used to and adept with the Idrive in all of 30 minutes. I really think the magazine critics that do the most griping are 50 year old men that also can't program a VCR or figure out a TV remote.

And I can't understand how crap and the new M5 are synonymous. It's got a great V10 engine and the interior looks top notch to me. I do understand people's criticism of Bangle and Van Hooydonk exterior designs, I can't stand the Z4 or Z4 coupe.

just haters and japanophiles... ;)

I have to agree with you 100% on Unique autosports being the biggest hacks to ever own/run a shop.

I cringe every time I watch that show and watch those shop monkeys hop into a 2006 Benz or Lambo or something, take an air wrench to the seats and dash, rip it all out and cover it in some vinyl that "matches da same color as da rims, yo!".

if I had a fly ride and lived on Long Island I wouldn't let those guys get within 20 feet of my car.. ever.

i've always been a purveyor of the all stock, JDM, OEM, "Mugen", "TRD" etc. thing.

if its not from the same country or brand my car came from, it doesn't go on it.

when I had a Prelude it was all JDM parts. when I had an Audi it was all European parts. and now that I've got a Tacoma all I buy is TRD. :D

Edited by Poonman

If you want to switch stations, toggle the rear demister etc etc, isn't it better to have one specific button where you hit in a split second rather then have to 'idrive' thru the menus? (ok I only tried the first version idrive on the 7 series, not sure if they changed it. Can't see how though).

Its like the old PCs where you just hit the power off button and it goes off compared to the new PCs where you hit 'start', then hit 'shut down', then hit 'confirm shut down'. Which is faster?

As for M3 vs 335i, I'd rather take the E92 335D. Bags of torque.

If you want to switch stations, toggle the rear demister etc etc, isn't it better to have one specific button where you hit in a split second rather then have to 'idrive' thru the menus? (ok I only tried the first version idrive on the 7 series, not sure if they changed it. Can't see how though).

Its like the old PCs where you just hit the power off button and it goes off compared to the new PCs where you hit 'start', then hit 'shut down', then hit 'confirm shut down'. Which is faster?

To change radio stations, all I have to do is click on the + or - buttons on my steering wheel, so that's easy as hell. If I want to toggle the rear defroster, all I have to do it hit the defrost button on the AC panel. If I wanted to intentionally make it harder for myself, I could set the I-Drive to the entertainment screen, then use the dial on the center console to scroll through channels manually. The hardest thing I have to do with I-Drive is setting the climate control, but then again, there are dedicated dials in the AC panel for both zones, so I do have an alternative. So basically, the I-Drive in my car is relatively simple and certainly doesn't force you to use it. I really think people just get intimidated by looking at the screen, which is funny considering alot of the same people can manipulate a PC/Mac with no problems or program their increasingly hi-tech cell phones.

I don't find iDrive hard to use but rather useless to have. Like you were confirming, you still take the conventional quick step route to get to all of your interior features and work around the iDrive.

The M5 has an awesome motor, but you're stuck with the SMG transmission and the interior and exterior styling is subjective. You're almost better off saving the 20grand and purchasing a 550i and then throwing down 4 grand to get better performance numbers. At least that way you get a 6 speed, and a motor that you're not scared to mess with (there was an article on M5 vs 550i in car and driver that was quite excellent on this matter). When/If BMW releases the M5 in Manual, then i'll have some more respect for the car as a whole, but the SMG really drags that car down a lot in my book (along with the M6).

Unfortunately we don't get the 335d in America, but in a few years i would not mind picking up a 335i sedan and then putting the euro taillights on it (the US tail lights look terrible with the red blinker). Just the motor alone is enough reason to pick that car up. All aluminum 3.0liter Inline 6 direct injected twin turbo with variable cam timing running at a conservative 8psi of boost, already shows better potential than the sought after 2JZ-GTE motor with its port injected cast iron block. Right out of the box the 335i is a Supra killer, and at 40grand it debut at 10grand less than the Supra did 14 years ago, i'm just waiting for some aftermarket shops to start turning ridiculous numbers from this car.