The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

I didn't think this warranted its own thread, felt it would be best suited here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NVJ4pEFuY

Oh. My. God. :wacko:

If this level of devotion--or fanaticism--is not enough to make him the true definition of "Tifosi" then I don't know what is. He's fabricated all the molds and all of the parts himself, SO HE COULD CONCEIVABLY MAKE MORE. :o

I'm a bit torn on this though. On the one hand, I think to myself: "The folks at Ferrari should know about this." This man's devotion deserves reward--hell, they ought to give this man a Ferrari, if for no other reason than for all the positive spin they could put on it. On the other hand, I think: "No, Ferrari should never know about this man." In this litigious world we live in, and as fiercely protective as they are of their image/brand, the buggars are liable to sue the poor guy if they found out he was making "their product."

I'm a bit torn on this though. On the one hand, I think to myself: "The folks at Ferrari should know about this." This man's devotion deserves reward--hell, they ought to give this man a Ferrari, if for no other reason than for all the positive spin they could put on it. On the other hand, I think: "No, Ferrari should never know about this man." In this litigious world we live in, and as fiercely protective as they are of their image/brand, the buggars are liable to sue the poor guy if they found out he was making "their product."

With the amount of exposure this project has gotten i'm sure Ferrari has heard of it by now. Since the man did such good justice to the accuracy and spirit of the vehicle, i think Ferrari will just take it as good publicity (he picked a winner of a vehicle too, i'm sure Ferrari would've been pissed if he picked any Ferrari's from the mid 60's).

I'm kind of surprised he chose the 312 since it really isn't that famous of a vehicle (although it won 11 of 12 races it entered), but i'm sure if he picked something more "modern" Ferrari probably would've gotten on his case about it, but since it's a one off, i still doubt he'll see much heat. I would personally LOVE to see him replicate a Ferrari F40 LM. That is my dream Ferrari.

Absolutely. Coolest. Scale. Model. EVER.

Given his fabricating/engineering prowess, I'm sure it'd be no problem whatsoever for him to fab up some servos to control throttle/steering/etc. and make what would be the most accurate and expensive--and jaw dropping coolest--r/c car ever made. Hypothetically speaking of course; I realize that'd kinda spoil it in a way.

In the vid when they start it up and he reaches in the font to blip the throttle, he's actually mashing the gas pedal--that's where the driver's feet would be. Gives you an appreciation for the absolute balls it took [and takes] for the men who drive these cars in anger, in an era when crash-worthiness and driver safety were mere afterthoughts.

Hope it doesn't take another 15 yrs for the P4. Now that one's gonna be a fuggin monster--the sheer intricacy, twin coils, V12, and on and on, yikes!

Hopefully the P4 won't take half as long (since he seems to have all of his resources in place), that's a car that i can at least respect in some sort of way. It still got whooped by the 427 GT40's but it did have it's time in the spot light (one hit wonder really, but it was a sweep 1st 2nd and 3rd).

he said he's getting some help for the P4, so it won't take as long as the 312, that was still so cool.

if he rigged up servos, how would he do the gear changes though? 'cause it was a H-pattern shifter...

Shouldn't they release the regular model before they go off making convertibles? Also all of the engine covers and other BS they throw in there has to suck when you have to actually work on the motor; i guess they're going for the whole "European" thing with the engine kibble.

Wow. That Lexus will probably gain production status. 2008 could be one heckuva year for potential sports car buyers...

Just scrolled back and saw the Camaro 'vertible pics. Well, at least they're getting back to basics in regard to what we've come to know and love about the 'original' Camaro; i.e. rear seat big enough for a couple of small kids or grocery bags at best. :p This whole thing with the plastic engine covers and what not is pretty annoying too. The people that design them ought to have to be the people that work on them; then maybe we wouldn't get so much of that superfluous crap. Besides, it's supposed to be a muscle car, right? I'd wanna see what's motivating me down the street at neck stretching velocities, not a bunch of stupid dress pieces. Looks like a big, detail-less mono-block of plastic--like the engine bay of an oversized die-cast toy.

Pic of the new Ford "Interceptor" concept. There's more pics out there to be found, but this one's pretty much all that's needed. Initial reaction? "Meh, looks like pretty much a rip-off of the Chrysler 300, only about 2-3 yrs after the fact." Looks kinda like an old '50s refrigerator laid over on its side, with big bling-bling DUmB wheels stuck on it.

post-1488-1168648522_thumb.jpg

I like that, although I've always appreciated the Accords-especially the current generation. If I ever went rice I'd get me one of them coupes with a V6, M6, Vtec, blah blah blah...