The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

Although, I keep thinking "Datsun Z" when I look at the King Cobra pics of the nose with headlights exposed.  Unintentional resemblence, I'm sure, but still there.  I actually like the Mercury better.  Looks like it's been lowered 2"-3".  Perfect stance in that pic.

407664[/snapback]

yeah, I agree there. It sucks that Mercury is almost always ignored when it comes to 60's performance/musclecars...

Yeah, Mercurys were much less coveted by the gearheads, I guess due to their more "luxury" based status in Ford's hierarchy. Also one of the biggest reasons why--despite earnest wishes from some in the Ford/Merc loving ranks--a new Mercury Cougar would likely be deemed unjustified by the bean counters in Dearborn. All the things that set the original Cougar apart from the Mustang: premiums features like leather interiors, AM/FM stereo systems, air-conditioning, etc coming largely as "standard" in the Cougars, are pretty much standard fare or easily available in the Mustangs now.

Might be just my opinion or that of a few others, but I always thought that the majority of Mercury cars weren't very attractive and therefor less desireable...

I think Ford should just cut Mercury all together. Mercury is losing Ford money and continues to be a thorn in their side. Ford also needs to start pumping up Jaguar the same way GM did with Cadillac, get some realy innovation into the brand. It seems like all Ford is using jaguar for is R&D.

I think Ford should just cut Mercury all together.  Mercury is losing Ford money and continues to be a thorn in their side.  Ford also needs to start pumping up Jaguar the same way GM did with Cadillac, get some realy innovation into the brand.  It seems like all Ford is using jaguar for is R&D.

407808[/snapback]

I think Ford wants to associate Lincoln as being in the Cadillac range. Jags are really the competition for Mercedes and BMW in their scheme of things.

I think Ford should just cut Mercury all together.  Mercury is losing Ford money and continues to be a thorn in their side.  Ford also needs to start pumping up Jaguar the same way GM did with Cadillac, get some realy innovation into the brand.  It seems like all Ford is using jaguar for is R&D.

407808[/snapback]

Mercury is selling more Grand Marquis' than ever before (at a good price too!) Mercury needs to be kept, it's just that Ford needs to think of something new for it instead of being reskinned Fords.

What could you possibly make it? You have Mazda for the Japanese market, Ford for the joe shmoe market, Lincoln for the luxury market, Jaguar for the high end luxury market, and Land Rover for the high end SUV Luxury market, then you got Aston Martin for the Footballer market. Mercury is selling grand marquis but only because they mark them down so much that they're in the joe schmoe category as opposed to the midsize luxury they're suppose to be in. Back when high end features differentiated Mercury and Ford, i could understand Mercury having a proper and much needed existence, but with Ford's recent acquisition of so many different brands to take its place, they're just eating up space, and cannibalising on Ford's own sales. Mercury and Jaguar are losing Ford serious money; if one of them were to be removed, that would allow Ford to focus their resources on one of the divisions to really bring it where it needs to be.

....then you got Aston Martin for the Footballer market.

Lol...That's a good one.

i've got a 93 VW corrado SLC bored to 3.2, with only 27000 miles on it. its the show car.

the daily driver is a 88 honda CRX Si, and when the weather is good, a 92 Suzuki bandit 400.

408160[/snapback]

Got any pics?

408176[/snapback]

Seconded.

Corrado's are awesome cars, they just seemed like a hassle due to the crappy electronics systems. By far the coolest water-cooled VW.

"My avatar? Because no woman will ever be as exciting as any one of my cars..."

408111[/snapback]

what about your Charger?

408156[/snapback]

I still got her, though the 'vert is seeing all of the action because of the summer...

Woohoo! 24 Heures du Mans! The big race will be start tomorrow. I'm sure we can count on consistently dismal and sporadic coverage from the SPEED Channel--between inundations of NASCAR propaganda *groan*--but something's better'n nothing.

Anybody know about the Le Mans Classic? Is that run before the regular event? Apparently, every now and then some old ideas tend to resurface. Someone is trying to bring replicas of NASCAR's only foray (thank GOD) into the sports car classic back for the '06 Classic race event. Efforts are apparently underway to bring copies of the Dunlavy Racing Torino and Olympia Beer Charger, both run in 1976. The original cars are both apparently long gone--too bad, maybe they should have stayed gone. By and far not America's most memorable attempts at the International big-show.

76060054.jpg

fd06_stands_pe.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

i've got a 93 VW corrado SLC bored to 3.2, with only 27000 miles on it. its the show car.

the daily driver is a 88 honda CRX Si, and when the weather is good, a 92 Suzuki bandit 400.

408160[/snapback]

Got any pics?

408176[/snapback]

Seconded.

Corrado's are awesome cars, they just seemed like a hassle due to the crappy electronics systems. By far the coolest water-cooled VW.

408186[/snapback]

i've never had any problems with my corrado, but then again, i dont drive it very much. I'll try to snap pics later. I leave it on jack stands, i'll try to get it off later for a better photo op, or just snap some as it sits now.

Woohoo!  24 Heures du Mans!  The big race will be start tomorrow.  I'm sure we can count on consistently dismal and sporadic coverage from the SPEED Channel--between inundations of NASCAR propaganda *groan*--but something's better'n nothing. 

Anybody know about the Le Mans Classic?  Is that run before the regular event?  Apparently, every now and then some old ideas tend to resurface.  Someone is trying to bring replicas of NASCAR's only foray (thank GOD) into the sports car classic back for the '06 Classic race event.  Efforts are apparently underway to bring copies of the Dunlavy Racing Torino and Olympia Beer Charger, both run in 1976.  The original cars are both apparently long gone--too bad, maybe they should have stayed gone.  By and far not America's most memorable attempts at the International big-show. 

408210[/snapback]

I didn't know Dunlavy ran a Torino at LeMans, that's sweet.

As for the Charger, I saw a testing video of it on the site they have for it, and the driver's comments on it was that it was "scary fast"

Myk, You've seen it on the DodgeCharger.com site, right?

I wonder what sort of gearing they'll use? Top speeds of 175 were recorded on the Mulsanne back in '76. I imagine they'll have to use an original style 4-speed trans?

I checked the vids--the in-car video shows what an absolute handful that big brute is. That's definitely one that would seem to have the driver getting out rolling sweat and breathing hard after every on-track session. Looks like it could run down anything given enough straightaway. But "pronounced understeer" is an understatement! :p

Edited by reddsun1

Yeeeeeaahh....

Just watched Tokyo Drift and I absolutely enjoyed it. The driving sequences/races were spectacular (the 1st one was great) the machinery beautiful and the acting....well, this isn't Oscar territory but I'll take the F&F's acting over anything from Star Wars anyday.

One aspect of this movie that I appreciated, but I'm sure 99% of the audience will miss is the idea of consequences for driving like an idiot; I'm glad someone died in this edition. What I didn't appreciate was the choice for the lead-girl/whore, as any of the extras in this movie were far more alluring than her. Christine Mendoza would've been perfect!

If you enjoy fast-car-action in a beautiful environment you'll enjoy Tokyo Drift. Just don't go in expecting the Shawshank Redemption or something, and you'll be fine.

Oh, and I can't believe they had "HIM" in the movie also. I thought that stuff was supposed to be a joke!

Edited by myk

As for the Charger, I saw a testing video of it on the site they have for it, and the driver's comments on it was that it was "scary fast"

Huh? What? No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip-off though, I'll look into it. The hill billies on that site keep me away from there.

Hate to be the one to say it though, but driving a Charger is always a scary thing to do... :lol:

Huh? What? No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip-off though, I'll look into it. The hill billies on that site keep me away from there.

Hate to be the one to say it though, but driving a Charger is always a scary thing to do... :lol:

408510[/snapback]

maybe one day my Chrysler will be more so...I'm ordering my first new suspension parts next week!

in this edition.  What I didn't appreciate was the choice for the lead-girl/whore, as any of the extras in this movie were far more alluring than her.  Christine Mendoza would've been perfect! 

If you enjoy fast-car-action in a beautiful environment you'll enjoy Tokyo Drift.  Just don't go in expecting the Shawshank Redemption or something, and you'll be fine.

Oh, and I can't believe they had "HIM" in the movie also.  I thought that stuff was supposed to be a joke!

408506[/snapback]

"Lead whore", that's hilarious :lol: It would be great if that's what ot said in the credits.

I thought I saw Vin Diesel in one of the tv commercials for it, is that the HIM you are referring to? If so, they must have pushed an assload of cash at him...though he hasn't done too much lately and probably needed the payday.

Lol. I don't mean to be mean but unlike Mia in the original F&F, the last two leading whores, Eva Mendes and Nathalie Kelley, were just trophies to adorn whatever alpha-male happened to be leading in points.

Yeah, I was refering to HIM, as I didn't want to ruin it for anyone. I wish VD had gone along with the original idea for F&F2, which would have continued the story of part 1. That whole thing in Miami was a waste of film stock...

Yeah, I was refering to HIM, as I didn't want to ruin it for anyone.  I wish VD had gone along with the original idea for F&F2, which would have continued the story of part 1.  That whole thing in Miami was a waste of film stock...

408593[/snapback]

That's so true...

tokyodriftposter.jpg

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift ( ワイルドスピードX3 TOKYO DRIFT )

Relativity Media/Universal Pictures, 2006

Directed by Justin Lin (Better Luck Tomorrow)

Running Time: 104 minutes

Rated PG-13 for violence, suggestive sexual situations and strong language.

Cast

Lucas Black as Sean Boswell

Bow Wow as Twinkie

Nathalie Kelley as Neela

Brian Tee as Takeshi "D.K." Kamata

Sung Kang as Han

Keiko Kitagawa (Rei/Sailor Mars in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) as Reiko

Leonardo Nam as Morimoto

Sonny Chiba as Boss Kamata

Brian Goodman as Maj. Boswell

Nikki Griffin as Cindy

Keiichi "The Real Drift King" Tsuchiya as a fisherman

Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto

Synopsis

Sean Boswell is a high school student with a penchant for trouble everywhere he goes, especially when it involves cars. When he gets involved in a deadly crash during a street race, he's given two choices: juvenile hall or Tokyo, Japan, where his father is stationed as a naval officer.

Clay: "This beast's got a 500-horsepower engine with a Borla exhaust. It does 0-60 in what, 4.3 seconds."

Sean: "Wow. You can read the brochure."

Upon arriving in Tokyo, he meets Twinkie, an Army brat who studies at his school and sells imported goods on the side. He also meets Neela, an Australian classmate who is dating a Yakuza brat known as "D.K." Letting his pride get the best of him, Sean challenges D.K. to a race, learning the hard way that his style doesn't work against D.K.

Twinkie: "Do you know what 'D.K.' means?"

Sean: "Donkey Kong?"

As a result of losing to D.K., he has to pay off his debt by working with Chinese expatriate and expert drifter Han in collecting money for the Yakuza. He quickly befriends Han and starts learning how to drift. Things get deadly when Sean gets too close to Neela while D.K. demands an explanation from Han on some missing collection money. As a means to put the situation to an end, Sean issues a loser-leaves-town duel against D.K.

D.K.: "Do you know who I am, boy?"

Sean: "You're the Justin Timberlake of Japan?"

Lowdown

Since 2001, The Fast and the Furious series has been one of Universal Pictures' biggest moneymakers, generating nearly a billion dollars worldwide in box office and DVD sales, as well as merchandising. The first film shot Paul Walker and Vin Diesel into superstardom, while 2 Fast 2 Furious, well, didn't really do much for Tyrese Gibson's career. Still, Universal knows that as long as high school kids dig cars, there will always be a F&F movie.

Sean: "Wabaki..."

Which brings us to the third installation of the series: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Fortunately, Paul Walker's not in it. Instead, the producers have decided to make a superstar out of Lucas Black, who is best known as Kruger in Jarhead. If you can't stand Walker's surfer-dude attitude, try putting up with Black's Southern redneck accent.

Unfortunately, as with every F&F movie, this one has a rapper among the cast. F&F had Ja Rule, 2F2F had Ludacris, and this one has Bow Wow. He has the dubious honor of driving the most ridiculously ricey vehicle - an Incredible Hulk-themed green Volkswagen Touran minivan with purple fur interior.

Speaking of rice, you can't have a F&F movie without riced-up tuners. For this film, you won't see any Civics or Corollas. Instead, you have primarily RWD machines that are actually more than display pieces, such as the Nissan Silvia S15, Nissan Fairlady (350) Z, and Mazda RX-7 (the latter two featured with VeilSide body kits). The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX is also featured; but for this film, it's been reconfigured to RWD instead of its stock AWD setup. But for the final race, Sean drives his father's 1967 Ford Mustang GT, which has been retrofitted with a Nissan RB26DETT engine swapped from the S15 he trashed on his first run-in with DK.

As far as acting goes, you probably should've learned from the first two movies that the word 'acting' is almost non-existent. Still, it's more tolerable than that of 2F2F, except for the fact that Keiko Kitagawa's talent was severely wasted with only a couple of lines and two minutes of screen time.

Now if you want to talk about action, there's plenty of that. The movie uses less CG than the first two films and the races are a lot more intense. Even the Monte Carlo vs. Viper race at the beginning of the film is worth the price of admission.

There's a lot of talk about a certain person's cameo appearance. I really didn't care much about "his" two minutes at the end of the film; I was more interested in champion drifter Keiichi Tsuchiya making his presence.

In short, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is not as good as the first film, but way better than the second. It's also a great popcorn flick, whether or not you're a car nut.

Rating: B

Sean: "This ain't no 10-second race, you know."

Dominic: "I've got nothin' but time."

Links

Official Site

Official Site (Japanese)

Reference

The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

As always a great review from A7. So, what was the deal with that "cameo" appearance in the Tokyo scene? He's supposed to be Han's friend or something, right? I could hardly hear the dialogue as everyone in the theater erupted when that scene came up.

For Mopar nuts, the car driven by "that guy" is supposed to be The Hammer, a restified Roadrunner with modernized amenities and performance technology.

Oh, and Nikki Griffin is HOOOOOTTTT!!!!

Easily the best car-related movie in recent memory.

Car chases we're really entertaining and exciting, keeping the CG to a reasonable minimum. Plot was strong enough, acting wasn't great but it was more than passable. Directing was above average for a film like this. They thankfully avoided much car techno babble, so as not to make the writer look completely ignorant (Putting SR20's in Civics, yo).

The heroes weren't complete douchebags and the badguy drove a 350Z so combined with his general apeface behavior there was nothing redeeming about the guy.

That Mustang is absolutely tits.

This month's issue of Hot Rod magazine has an article on the cars used for The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. The magazine tested three of the 1967 Mustang GT Fastbacks. Here are the stats:

Mustang #1

Engine: Nissan RB26DETT 2.6 liter DOHC, 24-valve, inline-six, custom single turbo

Power: 340 hp

Wheels/Tires: Volk Racing Grey 19" GT-7 Wheels; Toyo Proxes T1R 245/35R19 (F), 275/35R19 ( R )

0-60: 5.38 sec

Quarter-Mile: 13.36 sec @ 109.83 mph

Mustang #2 (Banged-up Stunt Car)

Engine: Windsor 430 cubic-inch V8, Holley carburetor

Power: 375 hp (estimated)

Wheels/Tires: Volk Racing Grey 19" GT-7 Wheels; Toyo Proxes T1R 245/35R19 (F), 275/35R19 ( R )

0-60: 6.65 sec

Quarter-Mile: 14.57 sec @ 96.65 mph

Mustang #3 (Unused Stunt Car)

Engine: Windsor 430 cubic-inch V8, Holley carburetor

Power: 375 hp (estimated)

0-60: 5.96 sec

Quarter-Mile: N/A*

* Unknown due to fuel pump problems during testing.

The magazine also tested two 1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlos:

Monte Carlo #1

Engine: Mitchell World Class 509

Power: 560 hp

Torque: 585 lb-ft

Wheels/Tires: Cragar 397 15" Wheels; Goodyear Eagle Slicks 27x8 (F); 27x10 ( R )

0-60: 4.41 sec

Quarter-Mile: 11.97 sec @ 118.27 mph

Monte Carlo #2

Engine: Mitchell Hardcore 572

Power: 725 hp

Torque: ???

Wheels/Tires: Cragar 397 15" Wheels; Goodyear Eagle Slicks 27x8 (F); 27x10 ( R )

0-60: N/A**

Quarter-Mile: N/A**

**Something let go in the drivetrain during testing.

Those are pretty good figures for a bunch of stunt cars, although the rest of the F&F car lineup has been that way...

Monte Carlo #2

408662[/snapback]

Making that much power [for a street car], not a bit surprised some parts got shredded. Good lawd! That ought to be scary to drive on the street!

I wonder why so much disparity in the perf of the Mustangs? Perhaps the Windsors are a good deal heavier? I don't know a terrible whole lot about the RB26DETT or other Japanese motors. I'll bet "True Blue" enthusiasts will scream bloody murder.

Edited by reddsun1

Here's one for the "the hell is THAT" column. Found this in someone's photobucket album online. Sure, the nose and tail look like Caprice/Impala, but the body sure does look like a Ford Thunderbird to me.

The late model T'bird is bound to go down in history as the unofficial "most popular late model car ever" for customizing with parts and pieces from vintage autos for creating "new-old" custom cars, or something. The mose popular vintage donors by far for such customs would seem to be 50's Fords. I have seen some with Studebaker noses. So what do you call such a custom? Studebird? Or Thunderbaker?

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

Le Mans 24hr: Aston Martin #007 goes out in first few laps. Someone's got to see the irony in the way it happened; appears the "Bond" car blew something in the engine. In a fashion similar to one of the film cars' trademark gimmicks, laid huge amts of oil on the track, creating spinout hazard for other cars behind...

Edited by reddsun1

Only 1hr from the finish, and Don Panoz may get a [class] win at Le Mans, after 10 years of trying. Lead #83 Porsche is trying to limp back to the pits w/a broken shifter, and subsequently the #81 Panoz has taken over the lead in GT2. Corvette still muscleing along in GT1 lead, after #009 A-Martin went bunch of laps down w/mechanical woes over night. Could the Americans sweep the "production" classes this year?

I wonder why so much disparity in the perf of the Mustangs? Perhaps the Windsors are a good deal heavier? I don't know a terrible whole lot about the RB26DETT or other Japanese motors.

I'm no expert, but the 430 engines used in two of the mustangs are much larger (7.0 liters) than the RB26DETT (2.6 liters), so yes, the Windsors would be quite a bit heavier than the Nissan engine.

Monte Carlo #2

408662[/snapback]

Making that much power [for a street car], not a bit surprised some parts got shredded. Good lawd! That ought to be scary to drive on the street!

I wonder why so much disparity in the perf of the Mustangs? Perhaps the Windsors are a good deal heavier? I don't know a terrible whole lot about the RB26DETT or other Japanese motors. I'll bet "True Blue" enthusiasts will scream bloody murder.

408695[/snapback]

It's weird for one of Mitchell's engines to let go like that, then again, I don't really pay attention to the Chevy's very often.

as for the Mustang with the RB26DET motor...I almost puked when I saw it, and again when I saw it for the second time too......japanese engines in american performance cars is just not right.

And don't tell me that the DSM's are american, granted japan never saw the chassis, but it's still japanese.

too bad they couldn't had've put a Falcon XR8 or a Commodore SS in the movie, that would've been very nice.