So This Is A No Sports Message Board?

I started a thread yesterday about the Baseball World Classic and it seems with no notice or whatever it got deleted?

I guess anime, toys, movies, comics, etc is what this forum is mostly about but at least an explanation by the mod who deleted the thread as to why would have been nice.

At least I'll know in the future sports talk is just not cool enough for MW... <_<

Edited by Zor Primus

MacrossWorld has always drawn a fine line for their "general chat" section of the board. Basically, the staff have stated time and again that they don't want the site to turn into a true message forum where you can discuss any manner of stuuf that's not relevant on this site. They'd prefer MacrossWorld to stay more of less genre-based. This usually means anime, science fiction, fantasy, console/PC games, genre film, comic books, and all things geeky. I think the reasoning is to avoid a lot of posting about stuff that isn't even nearly related to MacrossWorld. It is expensive after all.

There are some exceptions (like an automotive thread, not sure how that fits, but anyway) but typically that's how it works.

Edited by Mr March

There are some exceptions (like an automotive thread, not sure how that fits, but anyway) but typically that's how it works.

378174[/snapback]

Ya know I can deal with rules, and like you said the "automotive thread" is example of non-genre...there's also the gun's thread...I've seen Fantasy Football threads...then there is this under the forum description:

Closest thing here to 'Off Topic'

So if its not off topic, but really just geek specific then I'll drop the issue...but the rule should apply to all then...

there s a long nice thread from A7 about the WWE :) it s like sport in some ways... it s also like science fiction sometimes :D

Bud, don't let the favortism bother you. Those threads are allowed I guess because much more people tend to create those type of threads and that's one way of controlling the "Look at my car" traffic and so on.

*snip*

Ya know I can deal with rules, and like you said the "automotive thread" is example of non-genre...there's also the gun's thread...I've seen Fantasy Football threads...then there is this under the forum description:

Closest thing here to 'Off Topic'

So if its not off topic, but really just geek specific then I'll drop the issue...but the rule should apply to all then...

378176[/snapback]

It can be difficult to know one way or the other since no rules are set in stone. But I think that's the point. The "off topic' forum is run fast and loose, typically monitoring itself. Every now and then though, the staff have to nudge the forum in the right direction.

Maybe it has something to do with the political implications behind the WBC, which has been a hot topic even outside of the sports world, not just the baseball element in itself that could be seen as problematic.

The thread was a poll asking who did they think was gonna win, I had mentioned my favorite and gone on about yesterday's game. If it would have gone the way of politics then more power to the admins to delete.

Maybe its that some of the non sci fi / other anime threads that generate alot of replies quickly are left alone , i.e. its something alot of people are into and its generating an interesting discussion and then it gets left alone longer.

So in other words this message board is a popularity contest?

I can't speak for the admins here, but when I was running a large board, it does become problematic to contact everyone when you delete their post or edit it down alot. Folks are sensitive to that stuff and alot of that tends to be unpleasant. Plus its a tough deal to maintain your position of authority when you feel compelled to justify yourself, and that doesn't just apply to message boards. And at some point, you just can't make everyone happy all the time.

Like I said, I dont mind following the rules as long as they are explained to me when I break em. Thats not challenging authority, its simply trying to understand it.

BTW, Red Dawn is one of my all time favorite movies...WOLVERINES! :D

While I myself did not delete your baseball thread I can speak to this one, namely it should not be and it violates the MW rules. I'm moving it to the feedback section in case one of the higher ranking mods still wants to leave it open.

Edit:

Like I said, I dont mind following the rules as long as they are explained to me when I break em. Thats not challenging authority, its simply trying to understand it.

I can understand it's upsetting that a thread you liked got the shaft and I hope this helps explain it some.

Additional info just for clarification:

From MW Rules and Regulations, (Link)

Section II: Off Topic

Be here for the discussion of Macross. Please don?t go off topic. If your post or topic is not about Macross then it can be considered off topic and can be deleted at anytime. The closer your post is to Macross the better chance it has of staying. Don?t try to use Macross terms to talk about an off topic post. Adding the names of Macross characters to your topic about oral sex doesn?t make it on topic.

As a general rule we sometimes allows one or two semi off topics per forum. There is even forums more geared towards off topic subjects. Even these forums have their limits if a moderator feels that there is too many new topics they will randomly deleted some. In some cases there is a specific topic for all other short off topics to fall under.

Basically what that says is that anything NOT Macross is in fact off topic. Certain off topic things are left alive because someone in the administration wills it, for lack of a better term. Any topic that is OT can vanish like Hoffa on you with no real reason given other than it is "off topic". My guess is a mod made a judgement call that the Baseball thread was too outside the box and canned it. It is not a slight against you, baseball, it's fans or anything or anyone else that the topic was deleted. Suffice it to say the reason it vanished was spelled out in the MW R&R.

As for this thread it falls into this category:

Section I.: The basic don'ts of Macross World posting Etiquette.

These are typical behaviors in posting that can make the forums a mess. They may seem minor but it does interfere with keeping a well-run message board.

Don't:

2. Make a topic about your other topic.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

It's not about sports being cool enough, rather I'm guessing that sports don't appeal to the majority of the posters here...

It's not about sports being cool enough, rather I'm guessing that sports don't appeal to the majority of the posters here...

378216[/snapback]

Yeah cause 99% of everyone that hangs out here is a geeky NERD.

Adults collecting toys and stuff, people get a life!

:p

j/k

Doesn't bother me that it got canned, but there is a point to be made here:

The MW Automotive Thread, All Car Discussions Posted Here

Official - Weapons Banter Thread, Swords, Guns, SCI-FI, Other......

The WWE and Pro-Wrestling Thread, All News and Results Posted Here

These are all grossly off topic. The "SCI FI" in the Weapon thread is a some poor attempt to pretend to be on topic. Following the reasoning behind the closure of the Baseball thread (which I agree with being off topic and removable, by the way), all three of these should be locked, and/or deleted.

I believe those threads stay around because someone in the administration wills them to continue. Per the MW R&R, it does not say that everything that is unrelated to Sci-Fi and Other Anime gets the immediate axe it simply states that things that are OT are fair game to be deleted or removed on the will of the administration. In a nutshell it is an open article that basically states "if the administration wants it to stay, it stays. If they want it gone, it's gone." If someone in power wanted those three threads (and the others like them that are around and pop up) to dissapear then I think they would in a heartbeat.

It seems to me the long and the short of this subject is that MW administration will keep what they deem worthy and kill what they deem worthy. "Fair" does not seem to enter into the equasion.

For what it is worth, while I am an active participant in the Weapons thread if it was to vanish today or tomorrow I would not weep at all for it... mostly because I have ten bazillion other firearm related message boards I can go to. Now in the same breath I will say that I won't close it because I don't feel that is my personal call to make... MM started the thread, if I remember correctly, with permission from Graham beforehand. But if the wheat must be removed from the chaff than so be it. It's just a bunch of words on the internet. B))

Edit: and for the record I see my mini-modship as akin to the ATF, I enforce the laws but the admins and senior mods create and interpret the laws... and my mini-mod gun won't kill a thread, it will only stun it. :p

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Cars and guns are hobbies, and much of this forum is based around various types of hobbies (model kits, toys, etc).

Sports spectation is not a hobby. It is a past time.

378330[/snapback]

Meh, hobbies are past-times. Everything we do is just killing time until we're food for worms. Why worry about the arbitrary labels.

H

Other great topics we can soon look forward to on MW:

Things I've eaten in the last 72 hours

Guess what I'm touching right now!

Wanted: one xtra long shoelace, white

Looking for 8-tracks in the Bay area

Help me identify this smell

Should my poo look like this (pics enclosed)

1001 Clonetroopers (crossposted from Anime Punch)

Its hypocritical, but I appreciate how you've handled it, JsARCLIGHT. I'd just like to see an even hand, as I am sure the others would as well.

Of course, as always, its administrator's prerogative.

Excuse me, BSU, but I believe you mean The Official "Guess what I'm touching right now!" Super Thread.

378421[/snapback]

Pfft...I saw that thread, but decided to disregard it and make my own post. Repost FTW!! :lol:

378425[/snapback]

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

I love sport but I am here for Macross, so any rules to keep this Macross forum nice and tidy are fine by me. Beside, you don't talk about sport, you do it!!

While we on the topic of rules, EXO, you are a mini-mod, you should know better about posting pics that are irrelevant to the topic. That set of rack clearly belongs to the Toy forum. Somebody good with resin might want to get their hands on one of these and do a PG recast :wub:

Guilty :)

Btw you answered you know question with your topic title and starting post.

I guess anime, toys, movies, comics, etc is what this forum is mostly about but at least an explanation by the mod who deleted the thread as to why would have been nice.

Yeah the forum's headings pretty much indicate that there mostly about anime, toys, movies, comics, etc. So what's the hub bub about then? Is it because you weren't told why it was closed at the time? It sounds like you had a pretty good idea why it was removed and yet you still wanted a reason so you post a whine topic in the forum where the missing topic was.

So why do you want a reason when you pretty much knew the reason?

To cause a scene? To get people on your side

You own ego?

Why no posted reason?

If the reason is pretty clear to start with posting one is a waste.

Why is it a waste?

Imagine seeing the first page of a forum with half the threads closed just each person has their reason. Why create such a mess when the reason is clear.

What about a PM?

"You're topic was moved."

"You're double post was deleted"

"You're spam was deleted"

"You know what you did"

"This taking all day"

Oh yeah I'm closing this topic too but I'm not gonna tell anyone the reason. You all smart. Your first guess is the right one.