Uum-7 Pods - Relative Size

ghostryder

Anyone have "official" dimensions of the UUM-7 missile pods? I noticed that they are frackin huge on both the Hasegawa models and Yamato 1/48. IMO, they look rather silly, especially in batteroid mode with the wings extended. The scale of the pods on the 1/60 is much better I think.

The classic Max -1S pose is naked batteroid w/ UUM-7 pods, but the look is ruined by these gargantuan boxes hanging off the wings.

Well, the "standard" real-life small air-to-air missile size is a 5 inch body diameter, so a micro-missile should be smaller than that. Extrapolate from there. (Though newer small missiles have bumped up to 6 inches---that extra inch makes life a lot easier on designers)

The micro-missiles used in Macross are obviously much shorter in length than real-life air-to-air missiles, but I wouldn't necesarily say that the body diameter is smaller.

While the micro-missiles used in the FAST Pack HMMP-02 micro-missile launcher pods look to be fairly small diameter, the ones in the UUM-7 pods appear to have a much larger diameter.

While the Yamato 1/48 missiles may or may not be accurately sized, if we compare them say with the size of the pilot figure then it looks like the diameter would be larger than 5 or 6 inches if scaled up to 1/1 scale.

Graham

I've got a 1/60 UUM-7 pod here. The missile is about 0.133" in diameter, making it about 8" scaled up. Seems like the Yamato 1/60 miisile pod may be closest to a realistic size. Heck, even if you scaled the 1/60 missile up from 1/48, the missile would be over 6" wide. Of course, 1/60 missile pods would look too small in compared to anime mounted on a 1/48.

I guess nobody is right :lol:

Some comparison pics I stole from our board members... 1/60 pods look good to me.

Anyone got a pic of the Hasegawa pods (fighter kit) compared to the Yamato pods? If they are in-between the 1/60 and 1/48 size-wise, they might be the perfect size for the 1/48.

post-3171-1135960828_thumb.jpg

post-3171-1135961410_thumb.jpg

post-3171-1135961431_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

The size of the UMM-7 pods (or the other stores for that matter) as portrayed in Hasegawa kits (or the 1/48s) isn't all that big compared to most modern weaponry. Hell according the the 1/48s a Mk. 82 bomb (one of the smallest bombs in the US inventory) is as big as RMS-1!

Let's see, what diameter is a "beer can" missile and who was it that fired it in that episode? :lol:

I would have to go with the Hasegawa and Imai (Bandai - 1/100) being accurate. I looked into it too since no one makes them in 1/200th scale. They are large, bulky and an aerodynmicists nightmare, but so are the fast packs too! I'll probably use those, but then again, Hasegawa put big angles on the corners of the pods which aren't drawn quite that way. Wow, now you got me thinking...

• 2 weeks later...