Witchblade

areaseven

I remember Witchblade. I picked up the first issue when my eye caught this wonderful airbrushed painting stretching across the front and back cover. I still own that first issue to this day. I never followed it that much, I think I left at issue 11.

Best memory I have...about 6 months after the first issue was released, Witchblade was the hottest thing going. A customer at this comic book store I occasionally frequented overheard my desire to sell the series (except #1) and offered to buy issues 2-5 for $100. Having paid cover for them, I heartily agreed. Biggest profit I ever made on a comic book in my life. I wonder if they are still worth anything. Probably not nearly as much. Comics were always such a hot-and-cold hobby, I can't imagine much has changed.

Nottingham was badass. I especially like the John Woo-esque triad hitman that he took out in the beginning of the story. That car scene was classic :)

Edited by Mr March

Yeh, Michael Turner was the amazing artist that was in charge of Witchblade. Silvestri found him at a convention and saw his portfolio so he stuck him to a project to test the waters and the rest is history. Turner left witchblade around issue 20 and that's when i stopped collecting. Every once in awhile he'd do a special cover, but mainly just worked on his new series Fathom. His art is some of the best eye candy on the market, i absolutely love his work.

post-3347-1134178683_thumb.jpg

Edited by emajnthis

Yeah, collected all of his Top Cow stuff up until a couple of years ago. Amazing art and great story!

Never watched the TV show either - they should've picked a different actress a la that chick from the TV show Las Vegas B)) - would've watched it religiously if that were the case.

But this could be nice with Gonzo, there stuff is excellent. Can't wait for a promo or teaser.

Looks very good.....I'm still kicking myself in the arse for letting go of Witchblade #1. This version looks WAY better than the TV series with Yancy Butler.

351250[/snapback]

She was doing a signing at Chicago Comicon back when the show was on the air. She was walking around drunk, tripped and almost fell over. Luckily her handlers caught her before she fell on the floor lol

Yeh, Michael Turner was the amazing artist that was in charge of Witchblade.  Silvestri found him at a convention and saw his portfolio so he stuck him to a project to test the waters and the rest is history.  Turner left witchblade around issue 20 and that's when i stopped collecting.  Every once in awhile he'd do a special cover, but mainly just worked on his new series Fathom.  His art is some of the best eye candy on the market, i absolutely love his work.

351235[/snapback]

Turner also did the art for the Superman/Batman story arc which dealt with the re-introduction of the Kara Zor-el Supergirl, possibly my favorite Superman Story-arc since the Reign of the Supermen and some of the best Art I've ever seen in a mainstream DC title.

Well, in her youth she was "kind of" cute for her bit role in Hard Target.

-I take that back, I think 'Van Damme was cuter than she was....

Turner also did the art for the Superman/Batman story arc which dealt with the re-introduction of the Kara Zor-el Supergirl, possibly my favorite Superman Story-arc since the Reign of the Supermen and some of the best Art I've ever seen in a mainstream DC title.

351440[/snapback]

If you liked his work on S/B, get the first Fathom arc (the current one isn't by him) or grab any of his Soulfire series...great art and story on that one

The art is still awesomely consistent in soulfire but some of the characters aren't as visually appealing, i like the direction he takes when he draws pre-existing characters as opposed to the ones he has created himself. The storylines and plots associated with his art work are still superb.

The official website is up. Check it out.

ウイッãƒãƒ–レイド

351122[/snapback]

noway2bk.png

But Seriously:

WOW!!!! :ph34r:

The art looks very good on this one, IMHO. icon12.gif Its just way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyyyyy...... better than the TV series, which I used to watch out of curiousity. <_<

So when is this actually comming out? :huh: I browsed the site but it seems that some parts of it are still under construction. :blink:

Never the less, this is one anime I'm definitely gonna wait for. B)) Hope Gonzo does'nt F**K it up. :unsure:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=12357

Looks like a live-action Witchblade is again on the burner, but I recall pretty much all of Top Cow's stuff was optioned at one point - the company doing the new Witchblade also has The Darkness at Miramax, Wanted at Universal, Inferno at Warner Brothers, Rising Stars at MGM and Fathom at Fox" All of which have been in development hell for years, and the Inferno comic got cancelled before it hit issue 3, so don't hold your breath for this one. At least we get one good adaptation from Gonzo, I'm not really sure any of the Top Cow comics can be done as live-action films/shows, best to stick with animation. Speaking of, any word on when this is released?

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you take a look at this link:

http://www.witchblade.jp/character/

witchbladecharacters4ry.png

It seems we have are first three known characters of the anime.

I'm assuming the lady on the left, the one with the short hair is Sara Pezzini (check spelling) or someone else perhaps, who will be teh Witchblade. WHY? if you click her pic it links you to her stats including a full body shot. If you look closely she has a bracelet on her right wrist. :lol:

The kid on the center, I have no idea who she is. Probably Sara's sidekick? or maybe a baddie in disguise :ph34r: (sorry, Bleach's episodes 60-62 freaked me out with a good guy who apparently is the ultimate bastard/traitor/baddie around.) <_<

The lady on the right, I also have no idea who she is. She's probably the antagonist of the anime. Of special note when you click here pic to reveal her stats, her full body shot shows her wearing a bracelet, but its on her left wrist not on the right. B))

EDIT:

BTW found this one the GOODS section of the website: ;)

witchblade9rp.png

AND this one too, which apprently appears when you enter the website: (pop-up i think):

witchblade24ci.png

This anime is really looking good. Hope this comes out soon. :(

Edited by grss1982

The original first printings of the Turner issues aren't worth much nowadays. Sadly the demand is well, dead. Trades killed the demand too, that and Turners departure.

*snip*

355684[/snapback]

Glad I jumped ship when they were still worth a bundle of cash. EBay is selling the issues for dirt cheap.

Ain't it sad? *sigh* I too experienced my share of overpaying for hot comics that are dead or close to worthless now. Modern comics are a horrible investment, stick to Golden Age or popular slabbed comics.

355884[/snapback]

I'd have to disagree. Modern comics are perhaps the best investment you could make. The average person has little to no hope of finding a cache of golden age comics at cheap prices that they can sell for thousands of dollars. Even estate auctions are now watched carefully and bidding is always high. Turnaround for modern comics is quite fast, usually no more than 6-10 months with profit margins sometimes as high as 500% plus. If one were to buy in bulk (say 50-100 units), in 6 months one could sell the books at 10-20% lower than the inflated street price to move them quickly and make a killing. Say Witchblade #2 for $3.95 shelf price was selling at $25 six months after release (which it was), sell your 50 units at $18-20 bucks a pop to move them fast and collectors still think they are getting a deal. Especially with nationwide access and international markets via the internet, your options for selling is very extensive.

Modern comic's news publications are always publishing upcoming titles with information on the artist/writer for each new title. You can easily use this news to tell which titles will be hot. Most fans of comics/sci-fi/fantasy have an understanding of the state of the industry and what is popular at the time, even if they never use the knowledge. We all knew the Matrix was the poo at one time, we all knew when McFarlane, Spawn, Turner, X-Men, Jim Lee, Lifield, Spider-Man, and a host of others were on top for a few short years.

All it takes is using what you know and taking a risk. It's work, but it's worth it.

Ain't it sad? *sigh* I too experienced my share of overpaying for hot comics that are dead or close to worthless now. Modern comics are a horrible investment, stick to Golden Age or popular slabbed comics.

355884[/snapback]

I'd have to disagree. Modern comics are perhaps the best investment you could make. The average person has little to no hope of finding a cache of golden age comics at cheap prices that they can sell for thousands of dollars. Even estate auctions are now watched carefully and bidding is always high. Turnaround for modern comics is quite fast, usually no more than 6-10 months with profit margins sometimes as high as 500% plus. If one were to buy in bulk (say 50-100 units), in 6 months one could sell the books at 10-20% lower than the inflated street price to move them quickly and make a killing...

Modern comic's news publications are always publishing upcoming titles with information on the artist/writer for each new title. You can easily use this news to tell which titles will be hot. Most fans of comics/sci-fi/fantasy have an understanding of the state of the industry and what is popular at the time, even if they never use the knowledge. We all knew the Matrix was the poo at one time, we all knew when McFarlane, Spawn, Turner, X-Men, Jim Lee, Lifield, Spider-Man, and a host of others were on top for a few short years.

All it takes is using what you know and taking a risk. It's work, but it's worth it.

355945[/snapback]

Hm, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Yes golden age lots are carefully watched, but even a buy and hold approach for those issues make better investments/returns than modern ones b/c of the steady demand. Demand for modern titles ranges hot one minute than cold. Yes it is partly true that dealers and comic stores can make estimated guesses on which titles should be popular, partly based on the writer and penciler. However, the key is knowing how many copies to preorder of the "hot titles" AND ordering the regular sellers AND "speculating" on the other titles. Remember all of these potential sales have to cover the company overhead, which if you are operating a brick and morter place it is not low, especially in a major city. Yes turn around is fast for modern comics but that is for the steady sellers, the rest of the speculated titles end up as shelfwarmers if the dealers cannot get rid of them. So again, flipping comics in bulk is not as simple as you make it sound.

Even if someone were to attempt to buy on their own through a dealer, remember you still run the risk of ordering a title that does not meet its projected demand. Not all Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Ed Benes penciled issues command a high price and few command a 40% over cover resale price. And fewer still, remain in high demand unless the early issue(s) are part of a significant storyarc/crossover. Also once the books are headed for reprints, true demand remains high but you'd do better slabbing the few issues you got and then flipping them on ebay. But as we all know, even slabbing a hot title does not guarantee 100% return and certainly not a 500% return.

Having a pulse on the comics industry, upcoming titles, and artists is not enough to stack things in your favor when attempting a reasonable resale profit margin. Have you ever researched many comic stores close down in your city, state? I have and it is alarmingly high, simply put it is hard to make a profit selling modern comics.

355884[/snapback]

*snip*

355945[/snapback]

Hm, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Yes golden age lots are carefully watched, but even a buy and hold approach for those issues make better investments/returns than modern ones b/c of the steady demand. Demand for modern titles ranges hot one minute than cold. Yes it is partly true that dealers and comic stores can make estimated guesses on which titles should be popular, partly based on the writer and penciler. However, the key is knowing how many copies to preorder of the "hot titles" AND ordering the regular sellers AND "speculating" on the other titles. Remember all of these potential sales have to cover the company overhead, which if you are operating a brick and morter place it is not low, especially in a major city. Yes turn around is fast for modern comics but that is for the steady sellers, the rest of the speculated titles end up as shelfwarmers if the dealers cannot get rid of them. So again, flipping comics in bulk is not as simple as you make it sound.

Even if someone were to attempt to buy on their own through a dealer, remember you still run the risk of ordering a title that does not meet its projected demand. Not all Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Ed Benes penciled issues command a high price and few command a 40% over cover resale price. And fewer still, remain in high demand unless the early issue(s) are part of a significant storyarc/crossover. Also once the books are headed for reprints, true demand remains high but you'd do better slabbing the few issues you got and then flipping them on ebay. But as we all know, even slabbing a hot title does not guarantee 100% return and certainly not a 500% return.

Having a pulse on the comics industry, upcoming titles, and artists is not enough to stack things in your favor when attempting a reasonable resale profit margin. Have you ever researched many comic stores close down in your city, state? I have and it is alarmingly high, simply put it is hard to make a profit selling modern comics.

355966[/snapback]

A business is quite different than a personal collector. I'm not talking about opening up a store, I'm talking about an investment which could make a profitable turn for a private seller. As someone looking for an investment, golden age are simply a luxury item for those that get lucky or are already owners. Actively obtaining these items is too cost prohibitive. We're also talking years for a golden age investment to turn an acceptable profit. Basically, the growth isn't much higher than inflation.

The rest is just part of the risk. Nothing new there. When I was into comics, private sales and quick turnaround financed my hobby all by itself.

Edited by Mr March

OK.

Back to Witchblade Anime:

I think I might ahve been miskaen about the Sara Pezini character, according to this way waaaaaayyy old article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5357

Sara will be replaced with a Japanese policewoman :)

EDIT:

MAN, when I thought about Japanese policewoman this poped to my head: :ph34r:

manapul_witchblade.jpg

EDIT:

Got this from Googling:

http://www.comicboards.com/manga/view.php?trd=051110000355

there's a few more characters. :ph34r:

post-2502-1135936980_thumb.jpg

Edited by grss1982

355884[/snapback]

*snip*

355945[/snapback]

355966[/snapback]

A business is quite different than a personal collector. I'm not talking about opening up a store, I'm talking about an investment which could make a profitable turn for a private seller. As someone looking for an investment, golden age are simply a luxury item for those that get lucky or are already owners. Actively obtaining these items is too cost prohibitive. We're also talking years for a golden age investment to turn an acceptable profit. Basically, the growth isn't much higher than inflation.

The rest is just part of the risk. Nothing new there. When I was into comics, private sales and quick turnaround financed my hobby all by itself.

355990[/snapback]

Growth of golden age comics is steady but it does vary depending on the title. Yes it is costly to enter if you are new, but as an investment it is no different than wine, cels, stamps or coins which all take years to appreciate. As for using golden age comics to turn an "acceptable profit", for some it is a worthy trade off. You might not find it worthwhile or highly cost prohibitive, but for others who do can afford the luxery it is nice to have, just like cels and slabbed comics/toys. I

With golden age comics and slabbed comics you won't handle and/or read them. As such it is important to remember, few collectibles consistently turn a quick profit, if you can do it, more power to you. But I highly doubt you can do it consistently enough on a large scale which is what businesses try to do. Flipping potentially hot comics on a small scale just isn't profitable enough for most people, it takes too much time, prep'g, researching, storing and finding buyers. You mileage may vary.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bump this one for an update, I guess :lol:

The Witchblade animated series, produced by Gonzo in conjuction with Top Cow, will debut on Japanese television.

Witchblade will air every Thursday morning on Japanese TV's CBC, beginning Thursday April 6 at 1:45 a.m., and every Saturday morning on TBS, beginning Saturday, April 8 at 2:25 a.m.

BTW, i forgot from where i got this bit of news. :(

Also, looks like the witchblade website has been updated. check it out:

http://www.witchblade.jp/

Oh, yeah accoridng to this link:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=4284

witchblade even has a manga!!! :huh:

EDIT:

Heres the source of the news:

http://www.akadot.com/article.php?a=478

officiall its starts on 4/6/2006

Edited by grss1982