Fixing The Yf-21 Fighter Mode

promethuem5

Hi all,

This is a query to anyone who owns a Yamato YF-21 and has read Graham's review on teh main page. He talks about how the head/cockpit part won't stay seated right in fighter mode but could not figure out why. Mine does the same thing, and this leads to a horribly arched back fighter mode. I have, however determined the problem, but do not have a solution. In fighter mode, there is that one lage peg in the cavity that the cockpit latches onto. The peg holds the cockpit back, filling the gap between the cockpit and body. The peg is, however, imporperly positioned. The peg sites ever so slightly too far back, pulling on the cokpit section towards the rear, arching the fighter and not allowing the cockpit to sit down all the way, leading to a large unsightly gap in the side of the fighter and not allowing it to sit right. After tryng to hold down the cockpit housing to see what the fighter mode should look like. I noticed some stress marks on the mounting for the peg, proving that it is in the wrong spot and incorrectly engineered. My question to all of you is if any of you have also noticed this or fixed it... I am trying to think of a way to fix it, but am at a loss... I was thinking about shaving the rear part of the peg down, allowing the cockpit housing to sit foreward properly, but I am not sure if this would work... the other problem is that I have a feeling the rear part of the cockpit is not long enough to not leave a large gap between it and the body when properly positioned.

Eeek! Anytime people start talking about modifying toys I get a bit concerned. The problem is, when you bought the toy was the back arched in fighter mode (depending on if it's a FP version or not I guess). If it wasn't arched when you bought it then you know there's a way to get it back to normal. If it's the original version, and other people have non-arched backs, what does that mean? I think there's likely some miniscule detail in the transformation process that has been overlooked and is causing all the tolerances to be off by a tiny fraction. This would cause all the same symptoms and explain why some people can get a decent fighter mode and others can not (ie. if one of the legs has to be turned exactly so many degrees to one side and some people by dumb luck manage to do this during transformation and others do not).

All that being said, I'm at work right now so I can't check my own :( It could also be like Toynami's alphas where some of them look decent in fighter and others look like they have arched backs due to sloppy manufacture (although many of those arched backs are also due to an overlooked detail in transformation). If that's the case then yeah, I'm all for figuring out a way to fix this.

Edited by jenius

The problem is common to all the FP 21's. Used to have both versions but I kept the non FP 21.

If you check all the pictures on the main page you´ll notice the problem on Grahams sample too. Back then I brought this subject up but no one found a solution :(

If you look closely to every magazine you´ll notice this problem on all the pictures.

I wouldn't say it's bad enough to call it a flaw or condemn the toy. When you take into consideration the improved, lower profile of the fighter mode in addition to the fast paks and mandatory gunpods, the toy is a marked improvement over the first incarnation. Fiddle with it and I'm sure you can minimize the arched back...

Never did find a solution, but I didn't try very hard as I hate the purple color of the toy anyway.

Personally, I far prefer the first blue version, even if it doesn't have gun pods, at least it's the correct color and the cockpit stays locked down in fighter mode.

Graham

well at least yamato has the all-magnificent 1/48s line and toiii-namy has none :ph34r: kah kah kah kah kahhhh

edited : added the laugh just to insult toiii-namy fans. & yeah, I dare not spell toii-namy correctly as itll injure my pride

I just got home from work, I have the old YF-21 in fighter mode and that probably explains it.  Maybe they really are all flawed.... do you think Toynami learns from Yamato or vice-versa?

347615[/snapback]

Edited by aaajin

Never did find a solution, but I didn't try very hard as I hate the purple color of the toy anyway.

Personally, I far prefer the first blue version, even if it doesn't have gun pods, at least it's the correct color and the cockpit stays locked down in fighter mode.

Graham

347671[/snapback]

Interesting. On my blue version, the cockpit won't stay locked down, but it's fine on my purple version. Maybe that part of the mold wasn't really changed, and it's just a statistical/QC type problem?

I'm not sure what happened with mine, but it is currently sitting perfectly flat. I have a feeling I pressed down really hard and bent the mounting bracket slightly so that it sits right, but as long as it doesn't break, I don't care. Now if only there were a way to fix the drag racer look. I might still have to get non FP VF11 and 21 just so I have all of them..

Icindentally, I've always been meaning to ask: Why didn't Yamato include the VF-22 conversion parts in the 21FP?

I'm not sure what happened with mine, but it is currently sitting perfectly flat. I have a feeling I pressed down really hard and bent the mounting bracket slightly so that it sits right, but as long as it doesn't break, I don't care.  Now if only there were a way to fix the drag racer look.  I might still have to get non FP VF11 and 21 just so I have all of them..

Icindentally, I've always been meaning to ask:  Why didn't Yamato include the VF-22 conversion parts in the 21FP?

348039[/snapback]

IIRC, they had conversion pieces with the prototype that Shawn had at MWCon a few years back. If I had to guess why they didn't release them, I would say it is probably becuase Bandai holds (or held) the license for Macross 7 toys.

What does color have to do with compatibility of attaching the FAST packs to the non-FAST pack version??

I'm confused. :blink:

can the fp be put on to the non fp version?

348607[/snapback]

The colors for top/head are different blue vs. purple

348615[/snapback]