Superman Returns

Mr March

I'll give the upcoming Superman movie the benefit of the doubt.

The Batman movie franchise had been so thoroughly killed that I thought it near impossible to bring it back to glory. Then Batman Begins did it.

The Superman movies after 2 weren't great. The first one was awesome... and by "awesome" I mean, "totally cool." :ph34r:

There's one thing from Superman 2 that still remains in my mind:

General Zod: "Come to me, son of Jor-El, kneel before Zod!"

reo9tu43u340537qo.jpg

Still looks like Superboy to me.

Cape is tucked in wrong in Singer's revisionist/classic attempt on the suit. Instead of the usual wide neckline and cape over the shoulders, Superman Returns is basically him wearing a wetsuit with a small S on the chest.

It should have looked like this

dw3kx.jpg

378770[/snapback]

Whatta trailer!!! I like the new suit/look. A little retro with a cool new twist. As far as the neckline... I'm glad he actually has a suit that comes up to his neck, rather than that open chest which looked like some gay french sailor.

I really don't like the new trailer. It's very cheesy. The teaser was actually more promising.

I hate to say it, but this new trailer is really campy. It's almost as if Singer is trying to play off Donner, perhaps a remake (stylistically) of the Donner film rather than taking the Superman character in a more unique direction.

Damn, I've really gone 180 between this film and X-Men 3. At first I thought X-Men 3 looked poor and Superman Returns looked great. Now, post trailers, Ratner's film is looking much better than Singers. A sad state of affairs :(

I kinda like the trailer, except for 2 things... Superman and Lois Lane... man they so dont look the part. :(

396268[/snapback]

i like the look of the trailer and what it promises but i dont care fo the new suit and the choice in lead actors just doesnt work for me

Personally, I loved this new trailer and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this movie. Still, there's one nagging thing. At some point I heard the reason Superman left was to "go back to Krypton". For the obvious reasons that does not sit well with me. Anyone heard anything else about this recently?

Now, post trailers, Ratner's film is looking much better than Singers.

396260[/snapback]

Are they putting something in the water out there in cowtown, or are you just on crack? If X3 turns out to be an enjoyable film, it will be in spite of Ratner, not because of him. Singer FTW. :p

I really don't like the new trailer.  It's very cheesy.  The teaser was actually more promising.

I hate to say it, but this new trailer is really campy.  It's almost as if Singer is trying to play off Donner, perhaps a remake (stylistically) of the Donner film rather than taking the Superman character in a more unique direction.

Damn, I've really gone 180 between this film and X-Men 3.  At first I thought X-Men 3 looked poor and Superman Returns looked great.  Now, post trailers, Ratner's film is looking much better than Singers.  A sad state of affairs :(

396260[/snapback]

I've felt that both movies are subpar through all of the current hype. Hell the first Xmen movie was pushing lameness to begin with and X2 sealed it's fate. Supes suit has always been an issue and so have the main leading actors. I once showed a picture of the new superman to a fellow female worker and her instantly pointed out "He's fat!".

I have to agree. Are you sure she didn't mean 'fat' in some good way (like 'phatt')? One of the criticisms about Routh was that he looked too skinny and wimpy (I've always contended that if Superman draws strength from the sun, he doesn't HAVE to be bulky, so I'm a bit more lenient...after all, Reeves wasn't all that bulkier, he just had a more 'manly' shoulder-chest-waist-hip ratio). If Routh is fat, what does she consider fit? Heroin addicts and starving Africans?

Routh might work for me...still iffy. Lois isn't doing much right now...just something seems off (maybe she'll pull it off and define HER Lois like Kidder did).

Spacey, though.... while it would've been nice to see more of the typical comic book Luthor (and less giggly-insane), it actually worked REALLY well for me that he's channelling a hardened variant on Hackman's portrayal. Definitely continues the Donner characters with a little evolution.

We'll see. Superman's never been a favorite character, but the originals were fun thrill rides as a kid. If the movie carries that tradition, we're good (hey! at least Luthor isn't a Kryptonian or there's some kind of giant polar-bear-spider-robot thing in the third act. ;) )

Now, post trailers, Ratner's film is looking much better than Singers.

396260[/snapback]

Are they putting something in the water out there in cowtown, or are you just on crack? If X3 turns out to be an enjoyable film, it will be in spite of Ratner, not because of him. Singer FTW. :p

396314[/snapback]

Hey, ordinairily I have more faith in a director like Singer than some hack like Ratner. But I have to be honest, X3 at least appears to share direction and scope with the other X-Men films based on what's seen in the trailer, and the film also enjoys some smart casting. Like I said, the Superman Returns trailer is cheese. I also really don't like the casting for the leads in Superman Returns. Tom Welling should have been supes.

I've felt that both movies are subpar through all of the current hype. Hell the first Xmen movie was pushing lameness to begin with and X2 sealed it's fate. Supes suit has always been an issue and so have the main leading actors. I once showed a picture of the new superman to a fellow female worker and her instantly pointed out "He's fat!".

396323[/snapback]

Well, no point in really critiquing if you hate all filmed X-Men :)

"Fat"? Your female coworker would do well to stop idolizing Lara Flynn Boyle :)

Tom Welling should have been supes.

396346[/snapback]

Crack it is, then. :p

Welling is ok in Smallville-sized doses, but I don't think he really has the talent to fill Supes' big, red boots in a big budget movie. Maybe I'm being overly critical of the guy, given how little he has to work with on Smallville (most of the Smallville plotlines revolve around somebody being posessed and/or bodies switched, with the remainder of the cast left to figure out who's really who) but from what I've seen of the guy I can't say I'm a big fan.

OK, was it just me or was there an office moment where Routh was channelling Cristopher Reeve? :blink: Ya know.. the harelip sort of pronunciation... Creepy. Channelling or no, however, this flic looks like it will blow.

Supes' 'stache says it all... :lol:

post-96-1146681066_thumb.jpg

Welling is ok in Smallville-sized doses, but I don't think he really has the talent to fill Supes' big, red boots in a big budget movie. Maybe I'm being overly critical of the guy, given how little he has to work with on Smallville (most of the Smallville plotlines revolve around somebody being posessed and/or bodies switched, with the remainder of the cast left to figure out who's really who) but from what I've seen of the guy I can't say I'm a big fan.

396361[/snapback]

Christopher Reeve? Dean Cain? Master thespians they are not :)

I'll certainly give Routh a chance, but he's not showing some amazing acting chops based on what's been shown so far. Not that Superman is really the sort of character that requires a lot of range anyway.

As for Welling he's certainly capable of handling supes no problem, although I admit he's no great actor himself. Besides, one thing television is not known for is high quality writing. Any actor can be brought down by lousy writing, even in films. Ewan McGregor ala Star Wars is a prime example.

OK, was it just me or was there an office moment where Routh was channelling Cristopher Reeve?  :blink:  Ya know.. the harelip sort of pronunciation... Creepy.  Channelling or no, however, this flic looks like it will blow.

Supes' 'stache says it all...  :lol:

396369[/snapback]

Whoa, Amped. Haven't seen ya in a while :)

Nice picture :)

Christopher Reeve? Dean Cain?  Master thespians they are not :)

I'll certainly give Routh a chance, but he's not showing some amazing acting chops based on what's been shown so far.  Not that Superman is really the sort of character that requires a lot of range anyway.

As for Welling he's certainly capable of handling supes no problem, although I admit he's no great actor himself.  Besides, one thing television is not known for is high quality writing.  Any actor can be brought down by lousy writing, even in films.  Ewan McGregor ala Star Wars is a prime example.

396375[/snapback]

Yeah. Some friends and I had a huge discussion about this. Tom should have been cast for this. He does quite well in Smalleville (even if the continuity is lame) and everyone would have been "OH SUPERMAN" seeing his face all over the place for the movie.

As far as physically, lookit how Toby Maguire turned out after 4 months of crazy PT. They coulda done it.

Routh....well.....he's....uhm...pretty? :unsure:

- C

You know what, they should clone Christopher Reeve using his blood sample and this time make him unparalyzable so he can star in this movie.

TW is a horrible idea for the movie version, just about as good as Dean Cain. You already have a different Lois Lane, Lex Luthor and Perry White. I dont see what the point would be bringing him over.

I really don't like the new trailer.  It's very cheesy.  The teaser was actually more promising.

Wow, I actually thought it was the right kind of cheese. It wasn't flamboyant and outlandish, and was hitting the right Donner-esque notes, but I guess I would have preferred the trailer (and movie) to be toned down just a touch. Still, it looks promising, mainly for Spacey's Luthor, even if I have issues with Lois with child and Supes' tinny voice and metro sensibilities. In spite of all that, I'm still excited about watching it.

Eesh, not a fan of Welling here. I don't even think he's particularly Superman-ish. Pouty Metro Superboy, maybe, but I'd rather that sort of portrayal be kept to the teen-pandering TV network it spawned from. =) Boy, I really miss Reeves.

As for X3, I was pretty underwhelmed by the one clip I saw of the Fastball Special and Wolvie fighting a Sentinel (entirely off screen).

Edited by Sundown

Everything looks good... except the cast. The movie is supposed to be in an older timeline where Superman went away and everybody moved on with their lives, however Lois and Clark look younger than their Smallville version.

And all the fancy CGI in the world doesnt change the fact that Brandon still SUCK as Superman.

I was liking Spacey until that "I have advanced alien technology!" thing with the big goofy looking crystal... kind of bummed me out.

luthorbust.jpg

Edited by Limbo

I've always been of the opinion that Singer didn't know what he was doing in regards to the comics. He also tried to be revisionist and update the suit with a "retro" look that only lasted a few years compared to decades of the traditional Super-Suit. The Spacy Lex Luthor is just another Gene Hackman clone which is not representative of the evil and machinating Lex but a comical villian.

Lex should inspire fear with his icy stare and vast power, but the Hackman version was always a pre-crisis clown and he appears to be the same in this one. Hopefully the film does poorly, Singer is thrown off the boat, and we get something new next time around. But seeing as how FF4 made so much money despite being crap as well, chances are we are stuck with Singer's vision of Superman which pisses me off greatly.

Now Moriarty of AICN has read the script tells us the script sucks and I am inclined to agree with his opinion because we we see in the trailer should be some of the best clips from the film and I am entirely underwhelmed. I've also just read hundreds of Superman comics over again the past month and really yearning for the vision we never got in the first place.

superflight2mz.jpg

Here the problem is that ROUTH IS SQUINTING FROM THE WIND IN HIS EYES!

Superman does not squint or fein away from the onrush of wind! He looks like he's really struggling here and the whole costume and the boots make a very strange effect with his arched back, like a fish out of water...or that he has a wire on his back and a wire on his feet and he just sort of gave up trying to keep the middle part up :)

Reeve was much more graceful and elegant in his flight and careful control of his form -> as commented on by Donner regarding what Reeve brought from his experience as a glider pilot.

Routh is just stiff in what we've seen, but then again, a lot of his flying is all bad CG. There was also plenty of wind in the cape of the original. Check it out.

CW-STM-rocketcatch.gif

CW-STM-cityarrival.gif

Edited by ComicKaze

The Spacy Lex Luthor is just another Gene Hackman clone which is not representative of the evil and machinating Lex but a comical villian.

We've seen 20 seconds of Spacey's Luthor, and I think it's way too early to say definitively. There *are* definitely moments in the trailer where Spacey appears cold, calculating, and icy, especially at the trailer's start, and I hope this is as representative of the character as the more outlandishly insane bits. There's no reason the two can't work together, and if anyone can pull it off, it's Spacey. Of course he's also bound by the script.

I'd have to say that I'm not excited about routh either. And they do seem to be blowing a lot of air into his face and hair (and hence the squinting). I'm guessing they wanted to portray a greater sense of speed and a more realistic depiction of flight, but it does make Supes look like a pansy when he's squinting in the windstream.

I was liking Spacey until that "I have advanced alien technology!" thing with the big goofy looking crystal... kind of bummed me out.

That line didn't sit well with me either, but I consoled myself after realizing that the crystal was probably something he extracted from the Fortress of Solitude shown earlier and was intending to exploit. And it's exactly that-- advanced Kryptonian alien technology, and primary to the mythos established in the older movies. So it's still a very Superman thing, and wasn't just cheese for cheese's sake.

Edited by Sundown