"Well, you're sitting on a goldmine, Trebek!"

Sigh...

I <3 BOOBS

-Al

for post count, they use a karate type belt system

no posts = white

million posts = black 10th dan

and everything in between

we could do that with rank insignias, we could either choose zentran, meltran, or unspacy ranking systems (a-la gundam.com)

and for custom member titles, they can put what they want

i took a screenshot, but i dont have photoshop on this machine and its 1.3 MB bmp file

check it out here

Edited by estacado06479

for post count, they use a karate type belt system

no posts = white

million posts = black 10th dan

and everything in between

we could do that with rank insignias,  we could either choose zentran, meltran, or unspacy ranking systems (a-la gundam.com)

and for custom member titles, they can put what they want

i took a screenshot, but i dont have photoshop on this machine and its 1.3 MB bmp file

Sounds like a great idea!! :o

Though... the idea of ranks might get to some ppls heads. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

i like the idea of being able to choose your faction

we could even have five factions

unspacy, meltran, zentran, and the two factions from zero

What about the Varauta Army, and how about for the UN Spacy you can even choose a branch maybe, maybe have different battalions or whatever.

Errr... you guys are going too far. Just having custom member titles is enough for now.

As for ranks... maybe each squadron could be of 5. After like 500 posts 1 member becomes head of a squadron, and the 4 sebsequent(sp) members to hit the same mark would be part of that squadron. Repeat untill all members are part of a different squadron of 5. The problem is... coming up with a name for all squadrons. :p

Or maybe we could go with squadrons of 20 or something.

Edited by Abombz!!

Though... the idea of ranks might get to some ppls heads. <_<

ooh...i wanna be SUPREME ALLIED COMMANDER..... B)

I'll agree with this on the condition that we also have a system of promotion based solely on patronage, and that we accumulate meaningless "points" with our postings. :rolleyes:

Errr... you guys are going too far. Just having custom member titles is enough for now.

As for ranks... maybe each squadron could be of 5. After like 500 posts 1 member becomes head of a squadron, and the 4 sebsequent(sp) members to hit the same mark would be part of that squadron. Repeat untill all members are part of a different squadron of 5. The problem is... coming up with a name for all squadrons. :p

Or maybe we could go with squadrons of 20 or something.

I know a squadron name to use. :ph34r:

And no, I'm not talking about the Pink Peckers. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I really like that idea. I'd like to be under Abombz. ...uh I mean as a second in command. Yeah. That's what I meant. :lol::p

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I was avoiding saying my mind in this thread but here goes:

I have been on a few message boards that have "member level" rankings and either one of two things always happens, people start getting uppity when they get titles like "great" and "master" in their name block and people tend to get even more standoffish about those things. No offense to anyone but post counting which generates a member rank results in only two things: spamming of the board so people can attain a "rank" and hand in hand with that the people "holding top rank" are not necessarily the most educated, influential or powerful... they are basically the people that won't shut up. Member rank, if something like that is used, should not only look at posts but look at how long the person has been on the board and allow the admins and mods to "demote" anyone that is just obviously posting to get a new "rank".

Ranking is dumb. This isn't the army, we are technically all equals here... from the highest posting spammer to the single digit midgets. I for one want no part of post count ranking.

On the other issue of this thread: member titles. We have gotten along fine without them for a month or so now, why do we need them back? Can't fit your personal ramblings in your sig? Tough. We don't need all these badges, markers, quotes, signs, pics and chevrons anyway... I'm not trying to be mean or combative but the previous incarnation of MW was one of two message boards I have been on in my entire internet life that had member titles turned on. We really don't need them.

(ducks the thrown chair)

Seriously. We need less ranking and personalization and more "community".

Hm. This is getting complicated.

How about to get a title (custom or not) you have to pass a Macross Trivia test.

Example of question:

Q #1) What beer appears in DYRL?

It's kinda funny that we're all trying to individiualize ourselves in a place where we got together because of something we have in common. Sigs, rank, avatars...

"I am me, but who am I? what is the truth?

I hate myself!"

Hmmm, mamber ranks going by post....

That would make Abombz!! Global, which would make me......

Misa ?!!?!! :lol:

Oo ooo ooo I wanna be Max!! And Abombz can be Millia!!

oh, I wasn't supposed to bring that up ever again. :lol::p:lol:

Vostok 7

Errr.... this is actually good.... if we got Js to speak his mind, perhaps other members will join. :)

As for rank... like I said... ppl are getting way ahead of themselves. And besides, ranking will make ppl mistake this forum for the "other" forum. <_<

On the other issue of this thread: member titles. We have gotten along fine without them for a month or so now, why do we need them back? Can't fit your personal ramblings in your sig? Tough. We don't need all these badges, markers, quotes, signs, pics and chevrons anyway... I'm not trying to be mean or combative but the previous incarnation of MW was one of two message boards I have been on in my entire internet life that had member titles turned on. We really don't need them.

(ducks the thrown chair)

Seriously. We need less ranking and personalization and more "community".

But custom member titles are nice, avatars look too bland. And if we follow Js line of thinking... perhaps custom avatars are also a waste of time. :p

And BTW... that chair wasn't aimed at you. :p

Edited by Abombz!!

Errr.... this is actually good.... if we got Js to speak his mind, perhaps other members will join. :)

As for rank... like I said... ppl are getting way ahead of themselves. And besides, ranking will make ppl mistake this forum for the "other" forum. <_<

But custom member titles are nice, avatars look too bland. And if we follow Js line of thinking... perhaps custom avatars are also a waste of time. :p

We still need something. I liked the squadron idea... that'd be a good way for the little "cliqes" we have to get togeather :lol:

And my avatars aren't a waste of time, thank you. :p

Vostok 7

I always speak my mind, sometimes I feel the need to hold a little of the emotion back so people don't think I'm pissed to the farm and back about something. I have just personally seen the "member ranking" thing on another message board and it was all fine and dandy at the start but it created a rift between a lot of people and started more fights and trouble than it was worth at the end. Remember how pissy some folks get when you so much as mention simple post counts? Member ranks will make that even worse. Just my opinion though. Heck, everything works in theory... it's just that in practice you have to expect the worst from people.

They sort of are. At another different website I visit avatars are a perk that only paying members get. Your johnny average occasional poster is not allowed to have one unless he plunks down some change (I will admit that that sort of thing won't fly on MW as Avatars have been free since they showed up). You also have to weigh the average post length against the ammount of possible crap that could be in a person's sigline and tags alone. My only question is where does the line get drawn in the sand? If we get member titles back then folks will start asking for something else... like ranks or member levels... and if you get those then people will start asking for pics in sigs.

My point is that MW is MW, not www.SomeOtherMessageBoardThatHasThosePerks.com. Shawn, Graham and the Mods have to sign off on these things and to be honest if they had wanted them from the beginning they would be here... just my thoughts.

I'd like custom titles back because they let you add some text to go with your avatar, but ugh, please, no built-in "cliques", no factions, no ranks. You want to know how many times someone has posted--it's already there. JsArclight is right--"ranks" will just encourage spamming.

FWIW, I'd just as soon do away with sigs...

Edited by ewilen

My point is that MW is MW, not www.SomeOtherMessageBoardThatHasThosePerks.com. Shawn, Graham and the Mods have to sign off on these things and to be honest if they had wanted them from the beginning they would be here... just my thoughts.

I was under the impression no one knew how to enable them yet. :huh:

guys adn girls, the whole rank thing is getting lost somehow in the translation

ranks can be given and taken away by mods, not for post counts, but for post content. if you are spamming the board, they shift your post count back to zero, or they bust you to private

i agree, and maybe i didnt say it before, but this is how i feel, that rewards shouldnt be given to spammers, as in them getting a higher rank, with a little modding, this concept can work for macrossworld. the mods at point blank are extremely active on the forums, so they know who is screwing around, and act accordingly. to combat the workload, there are more mods than usual, and they gather in thta irc room i mentioned in a previous post...dont get lost by the fact that there is another forum where people abuse the ranking system, it doesnt have to be like that.

ranks can be given and taken away by mods, not for post counts, but for post content. if you are spamming the board, they shift your post count back to zero, or they bust you to private

In my mind that sounds like favoritism and others will see it that way also. People will say "so-and-so is called grand wizzard of the death division because he is friends with the mods".

Rank is for the military, not for message boards. We all know who are the "good posters" and newbies will figure it out soon enough.

:o:huh::huh:<_<

The Agent thinks someone other than him is great? I'm taking a picture of this...

<_<:p

Vostok 7

:huh:

Is THAT how I come off!?

I like a ton of people around here... Especially myself (I icon12.gif ME!). Though there are a few around here that should be put to sleep.