The Xbox 360 Thread!

Button-mashing only really works against the computer and only on certain difficulty levels.  When you actually go up against a seasoned player who knows what to do and when to do it, that's when you'll really find out how bad mashing can be.

356600[/snapback]

LOL. Well, then you can imagine my frustration as mashing doesn't get you very far in DOA 4 either. I'm convinced that if you win at all doing that it's because the AI is throwing the match. I'm a casual DOA fan, and didn't really play the game much since it's version on the Dreamcast 100 years ago, but I'm told that even veterans of the series will have to re-learn everything. Tecmo wasn't kidding when they stated that this edition would require technique and mastery above all else.

As for sparring mode, it should have a setting that allows the sparring partner to have some sort of free will as opposed to just standing there or doing one move or two at a time. It's not authentic to just peck at a witless target, but at the same time trying to practice with the 1 on 1 versus mode is too difficult; on the lowest setting the AI fighter is all over you from the start...

Sissies.

Okay, I'll admit it, this DoA is a lot harder than the previous 3 (or five, if you count each version of DoA2). Frustrating at times, even, especially since Alpha-152 has some extraordinarily damaging attacks.

But, I'm glad that I'm not whipping through this game the way I breezed through DoA3. The AI can be cheap at times, but playing harder difficulties on DoA3 just mean the AI got perfect at counters.

And, for the record, as of time of writing this, I've unlocked every character except Tengu. Instead of trying to unlock him, I'm going to go back and work on completing different characters' costume sets.

And while some of the endings are just silly (Kasumi, Hitomi, Leifang, Zack...) some of them have endings that are both violent and more relevant to the story (Hayabusa, Ayane, Hayate, Helena).

Oh, and myk? Not only does the calendar only have headshots, but it doesn't even have Hitomi in it. I can't complain too much, because it does feature my Kasumi... for the same month as my birthday, no less. ;):wub:

One more thing, myk. Can I add you to my friend list? I'd love to wail on you online, if you're up for it.

As for sparring mode, it should have a setting that allows the sparring partner to have some sort of free will as opposed to just standing there or doing one move or two at a time.

Turn excersizes on. It'll walk you through every move and combo for a given character. That's what sparring mode is really for.

Oh, and myk?  Not only does the calendar only have headshots, but it doesn't even have Hitomi in it.  I can't complain too much, because it does feature my Kasumi... for the same month as my birthday, no less. ;)  :wub:

One more thing, myk.  Can I add you to my friend list?  I'd love to wail on you online, if you're up for it.

356659[/snapback]

RRRRRRRRRRR....Eb can keep my copy then. No A1=no good thread. No Hitomi with pokey nipples=no good game/fan service calendar.

Yeah sure Mike, I'll meet you online, considering I can't even pull off a PPP>PK without screwing it up it'll be real fun I'm sure, lol.

-I'm glad that you agree that this edition is more challenging. For a moment there, I thought that maybe I was getting too old. Speaking of costumes, there is an insane amount of them per character, about 4 each on the average...

-At the very least, Hitomi is for the most part, naked in her ending... :)

Speaking of costumes, there is an insane amount of them per character, about 4 each on the average...

Sarcasm is a bit harder to detect online, you know. ;)

Ultimate did spoil me, but I don't think there's too few costumes. It's true that most of the men only have four, but what do I care about that? Kasumi has 7, Ayane has six, Hitomi has 8...

And there is always the possibility that more will be available online, or perhaps DoAX2 will add a few...

Yeah sure Mike, I'll meet you online, considering I can't even pull off a PPP>PK without screwing it up it'll be real fun I'm sure, lol.

Okay, okay... you practice up a bit, then look me up. My tag is Pharaohman.

Oh, and Hikuro, you're invited too. I didn't mean to exclude you before, but you mentioned that you weren't really into fighting games... and since I've been playing DoA since the first one came out on PSone (not to mention that I actually did play all three versions of DoA2), so I'm not sure how competetive you're feeling.

And of course, I already have Apollo Leader on my list.

You know, the online play aspect is about the only thing I really regret about not getting the X360. I'd really love to hook up with you guys and rock it out. Now if anyone has the DS, maybe some mario-kart action could be in order....

Oh, and Hikuro, you're invited too. I didn't mean to exclude you before, but you mentioned that you weren't really into fighting games... and since I've been playing DoA since the first one came out on PSone (not to mention that I actually did play all three versions of DoA2), so I'm not sure how competetive you're feeling.

It's cool yo, I perfer games like Fatal Fury though cause I had memorized all of Terry's moves and friends really hated me playing him.

If I ever got my 360 working live course I'd play ya guys.

My friend TeNK stopped by Sunday cause he was in the area. So he was gitty like a school girl when I showed him I picked up DOA4. He played a few story modes, out of all the characters it was the clone he had a hard time with, but it took him around 6 minutes each story mode to beat...

After he was done with that, he went into the excersice deal, and had 98/100 moves accomplished in 5 minutes, but he had to give up...one of them he just wasn't picking up cause the computer had to do a high kick but wasn't doing it.

He taught me alot of moves, and we spared for a while and I think about of 12 rounds, I got him for 5.

Quick DOA4 costume question:

Are they 6 or 7 DIFFERENT ones, or like always, 3 different costumes plus a bunch of slight variations of the school girl outfit? "C3 but with BLACK socks" is not a new costume IMHO.

I'm still disappointed Ultimate wasted so many slots on slight variations, especially when some really good ones for DOA2:HC and DOA3 were left out. (I love Ayane's *ALL* purple ninja one) (plus poor selections from XBV)

Quick DOA4 costume question:

Are they 6 or 7 DIFFERENT ones, or like always, 3 different costumes plus a bunch of slight variations of the school girl outfit?  "C3 but with BLACK socks" is not a new costume IMHO. 

I'm still disappointed Ultimate wasted so many slots on slight variations, especially when some really good ones for DOA2:HC and DOA3 were left out.  (I love Ayane's *ALL* purple ninja one)  (plus poor selections from XBV)

357539[/snapback]

Ultimate could get away with a few recolors and DOAX swimsuits, when Kasumi had 20 freaking costumes. In DOA4, the most costumes a character has is 8 (most have just six or seven), and you get a lot of recolors (Kokoro has three school girl outfits). And no swimsuits.

You might be interested to know that Ayane does have an all purple ninja outfit. And, for the obscure reference, the body suit and helmet costume from the PSX version of the first DOA.

Is it like the DOA2:HC purple ninja outfit, or like DOA3's? (And I still want to know why there's no Ninja Gaiden outfit for her--it's her best one ever, and they gave Ryu his NG suit for Ultimate) (I'm a huge Ayane fan)

had to give up...one of them he just wasn't picking up cause the computer had to do a high kick but wasn't doing it.

357524[/snapback]

Seriously. Is it me or the system. There are times when I KNOW I pulled a move off perfectly and it doesn't translate....

Well the problem is, he's gotta jump up top, and do some sort of a crazy move, but it wasn't going as he planned, he either didn't move the direction buttons correctly or he pressed a wrong button somewhere.

Either way, tough game.....very tough.

MS announces HD DVD drive add on.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6018529.html

Might be the article, but right after the drive mention, they talk about HD games like they don't have them now. :blink:

Wonder if somehow an HDMI port will be included, since HD over component for HD DVD is a big no no from the movie studios.

Edited by Gaijin

Might be the article, but right after the drive mention, they talk about HD games like they don't have them now.  :blink:

Wonder if somehow an HDMI port will be included, since HD over component for HD DVD is a big no no from the movie studios.

357740[/snapback]

This reminds me of something else...

post-720-1136519498_thumb.jpg

WELCO

METOT

HENEX

TLEVEL

From a software point of view, it actually seems more like a 32x, but I had the SCD pic already. :p

SCD actually DID bring a logical and high-demand advancement(though as an accessory, and an expensive one to boot, its market was severely limited).

The leap from cartridge to CD drove publication costs down massively, while at the same time vastly increasing the space available for home games(since arcades were less concerned with cost, they could and did stuff a CD's worth of ROM on the boards sometimes).

DVD came after games had started going multi-CD on a routine basis. There was a clear demand for more space.

Games now are still coming almost exclusively on single-layer 4.smth GB DVDs DESPITE the availability of multi-disk and dual-layer options.

I don't see how there's a demand for a quantum-leap in space at this point.

Which brings us to the other side of expansions... the 32x was unwanted fluff that not even Sega took seriously(the damn thing didn't even have software available for the first week after launch).

Might be the article, but right after the drive mention, they talk about HD games like they don't have them now.   :blink:

357740[/snapback]

WELCO

METOT

HENEX

TLEVEL

From a software point of view, it actually seems more like a 32x, but I had the SCD pic already. :p

SCD actually DID bring a logical and high-demand advancement(though as an accessory, and an expensive one to boot, its market was severely limited).

The leap from cartridge to CD drove publication costs down massively, while at the same time vastly increasing the space available for home games(since arcades were less concerned with cost, they could and did stuff a CD's worth of ROM on the boards sometimes).

DVD came after games had started going multi-CD on a routine basis. There was a clear demand for more space.

Games now are still coming almost exclusively on single-layer 4.smth GB DVDs DESPITE the availability of multi-disk and dual-layer options.

Which brings us to the other side of expansions... the 32x was unwanted fluff that not even Sega took seriously(the damn thing didn't even have software available for the first week after launch).

357811[/snapback]

360's drive would be for films only...if they release games on HD DVD, then I say the 32X reference is spot on.

Might be the article, but right after the drive mention, they talk about HD games like they don't have them now.  :blink:

357740[/snapback]

WELCO

METOT

HENEX

TLEVEL

357811[/snapback]

360's drive would be for films only...if they release games on HD DVD, then I say the 32X reference is spot on.

357813[/snapback]

Yeah, a Gamespot article brought that and the Turbo Grafix CD thingy up, and said that Microsoft is concerned about fracturing the fanbase, and is offering it solely for movies.

Is it like the DOA2:HC purple ninja outfit, or like DOA3's?

Sorry, neither. It's DOA Ultimate Ayane's C1. Her DOA3 C1 did rock, though, I'll give you that.

In DOA4, though, she does have this costume that you might find agreable.

Actually, a lot of the costumes, now that I think about it, are Ultimate's. It's like Ultimate was just the groundwork for DOA4.

Yeah, a Gamespot article brought that and the Turbo Grafix CD thingy up, and said that Microsoft is concerned about fracturing the fanbase, and is offering it solely for movies.

Tad pricey for what amounts to a stand-alone movie player...

I can see the logic behind not offering software, though.

With very few exceptions, expansion sjust don't get wide support.

Simple case of "I can make base unit game that everyone can play, or expansion unit game that everyone/10 can play... Hmmm..."

Got DOA4 yesterday. Awesome! :) Can't wait to get an HDTV in the next year or so to further enjoy these games. :)

Back to DOA4...

1) On the Vegas style stage where cars can run you over, I noticed that the LED screens between traffic can display a number of messages. When I wasn't referencing my Gamertag, it ran a message involving the launch of the 360. If you were playing using your Gamertag, it would reference your motto (it's located with your location) from your Gamertag! Nice touch. :)

2) For those using Kasumi against her clone, there's at least one very cheap way to win. When Kasumi's clone get 's in close enough, use Kasumi's flipping kick (push back diagonally on the controller and hit kick). On the regular difficulty setting, this will knock down Kasumi's clone each time. As for the other difficulty settings, and other characters, the jury's out on that... I've only played with Kasumi so far! :D (Addmittingly I'm a Kasumi fan :D )

3) Does anyone know what's up with Aerosmith's connection with the DOA series for the last 4 years? DOA3, DOAU, and DOA4 all use Aerosmith songs! Are they big fans of DOA or is is DOA's creator a big Aerosmith fan?

As for the other difficulty settings, and other characters, the jury's out on that... I've only played with Kasumi so far! :D  (Addmittingly I'm a Kasumi fan :D )

AYANE FOREVER! YOU MUST DIE! PURPLE HAIR POWER!

Tad pricey for what amounts to a stand-alone movie player...

I thought that they hadn't settled on a price for it? And really, how pricey is pricey, what with the first HD-DVD players retailing for $600-$800?

Does anyone know what's up with Aerosmith's connection with the DOA series for the last 4 years? DOA3, DOAU, and DOA4 all use Aerosmith songs! Are they big fans of DOA or is is DOA's creator a big Aerosmith fan?

If I had to guess, I'd say Itagaki is probably an Aerosmith fan, since the Aerosmith songs are never originals.

AYANE FOREVER! YOU MUST DIE! PURPLE HAIR POWER!

I can't fault Ayane fans for their choice... I mean, she's fast and leathal. And she's got purple hair. She was always my second-best character... right after KASUMI!

Addmittingly I'm a Kasumi fan

Preach on! What's purple hair compared to elegant beauty and a sweetly innocent personality? :wub:

Those of you who have Xbox live account should check out EA's Fight night on the 360, it looks amazing, looking at this, it feels like next gen is getting there (it looks really good). I can't wait for Gears of War and Ghost Recon.

Edited by Gunbuster

Those of you who have Xbox live account should check out EA's Fight night on the 360, it looks amazing, looking at this, it feels like next gen is getting there (it looks really good). I can't wait for Gears of War and Ghost Recon.

358153[/snapback]

That's exactly what I thought, Fight Night looks properly "next gen."

The Xbox360 renders sweaty black men amazingly well.

Sigh-I'll go ahead and call it: Time of Death at 3:12pm, January 9th, 2006...

My 360's life was unexpectedly cut short as of this date, the cause I can only begin to guess is related to the many ills that have plagued this console since its launch. I am grateful for the time we spent together though. Without it, my unemployment during the past 2 months would have been most unbearable. Rest in peace, my coffee-maker looking friend...Please say hello to my 3DO-remember that I love you both, and I long for the day that we will be in each other's arms again...

RT%20funeral%202.jpg

84.jpg

21%20gun%20salute.jpg

nov0610_l.jpg

Edited by myk

Hold on, I'm still tending to the funeral attendees-that aviation fuel is nasty stuff...

According to sources my unit suffered a "hardware failure," signified by 3 red flashing lights-all of which tempted me to smash the thing to pieces with every flash. I haven't actually powered my unit on since I picked up DOA4 about a week ago. I turned it on this morning, and about 2 minutes into the game startup the video and audio just blanked out. 3.6 hours on the phone with Team Xbox of Afghanistan (that's what the accent indicated), I was given specifc instructions to fly a plane into Microsoft's main HQ-No! I mean return the unit for an exchange or repair.

In other, less important news, MS has admitted that they will miss their 360 sales target, and now has a new one aimed at selling 4-5 million units by June. This has been attributed to the lack of hardware to sell (duh). 3 more Chinese factories are being commissioned to help with the production, but like my last date said to me in my room: too little, too late...

Hey Mike, can I borrow yours? It'll only be for a couple of weeks, or so...

Edited by myk

damn that stinks, mines still doing fine and dandy, haven't had a single issue with it, guess I'm one of the lucky?

Honestly I'd just send it to them to be repaired or exchanged and if the problem continued I'd tell them I had it, just gimme a full refund for my troubles for a poor product display and customer service and they'll never hear from me again cause I'd never buy a product from them again. And that's when Apple becomes my new bestfriend.

But like I said, nothings happened to me.

>_> I'm almost done with Need for speed though ^_^ I'm going against razor but the third race which is a circuit race is very difficult, so much traffic in this stage and he'll easily get 1,000+ feet ahead of me after the second lap. One point he was over 6 miles ahead of me, no way I was gonna catch up, had to restart the stage..........really sucked.

Yeah, really...

Anyway, I'm glad that out of all of the guys here at MW I'm the one to have a problem with my unit, as my interest had summarily died off and I wasn't playing nearly as much as some of you. I can afford to wait for a replacement which, I'm told, shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

Another idea popped up though: wouldn't I be able to exchange this thing at the Target I purchased it from? Assuming of course, that I could happen to catch them in stock I should be able to just exchange it-we're nowhere near 90 days on this thing...

I will really miss watching sweet, innocent, bouncy Hitomi, though...

Edited by myk

Ooh, sorry bro, but me and the 360 are kinda... exclusive. I'm thinking about popping the question. ;)

It really sucks that your unit died. And so suddenly! Well, the good news is that Microsoft's service is supposed to be pretty good about everything. One of my coworkers sent his back, and recieved a brand new one five days later.

Which reminds me... if you got the $400 model, get a memory card, and back up your saves before you send your 360 to MS! Or if you got the $300, remind to pop the HDD off before you put your 360 in the box. When my coworker got his back, we could tell it was a brand new one by the factory mint HD.

Another idea popped up though: wouldn't I be able to exchange this thing at the Target I purchased it from?

In theory.

Assuming of course, that I could happen to catch them in stock

And that's where the theory falls apart.

Ooh, sorry bro, but me and the 360 are kinda... exclusive. I'm thinking about popping the question. ;)

You know she's been cheating on oyu, right?

In other, less important news, MS has admitted that they will miss their 360 sales target, and now has a new one aimed at selling 4-5 million units by June.  This has been attributed to the lack of hardware to sell (duh).  3 more Chinese factories are being commissioned to help with the production, but like my last date said to me in my room: too little, too late...

358786[/snapback]

They should just get all the ones that didn't sell in Japan and bring 'em here. :lol: