First Valk

Legato6000

Welcome to Macross World.

1. If you can afford it ($120-165 shipped depending on where you find one), I think most would recommend a 1/48-scale Yamato VF-1. Which one depends on your favorite valk. Currently, there are the following 1/48 valks available as of late September:

VF-1A Hikaru (now rare and expensive, but more are being produced. . . presumably with minor quality issues fixed.)

VF-1S Roy (somewhat rare. Again, more being released in the next month or two. . . presumably with fixes.)

VF-1A Max (Readily availabe. This one was the first to have QC issues fixed)

VF-1A Low-Vis (Limited release and rare/expensive. Non-canon paint-scheme which never appeared in any anime so far.)

Coming soon (in next two months hopefully):

VF-1S Hikaru (red, DRYL paint-scheme)

VF-1J Hikaru (TV scheme)

Most here would recommend also picking up a set of FAST Packs for any 1/48 Valk you get. They really make an already superb rendition of the Macross VF-1 shine even brighter. Though, demand for the FAST Packs far out-stripped supply. . . so they will be hard to get for the next month or so. . .

A good place to see great pictures of a lot of Macross toys is SuperJaw Toys.

Two great places to purchase Valks:

Valkyrie Exchange

Twin Moons Anime

Or, of course, you can scavenge Ebay.

Here is a good overview (by Lebhead) of the differences between the various types of valkyrie toys. Finally, take a look at the toys area of Lebhead's Protoculture site.

Uh, I think I'm out of info now. Brain dump complete. . .

Oh, someone will probably mention this, so I might as well do it nicely now. . . I think images in your signature are frowned upon. :(

Welcome Aboard!

H

Edited by Hurin

Welcome to Macross World. There are many reviews of all the currently available VF toys, around here on the forums. I personally would recommend starting with a 1/60 valkyrie designed by Yamato. A great place to buy these online is the Valkyrie-Exchange. Yamato valk have to best looking sculpts. If you have the money, go straight for the Yamato 1/48 scale valks. Check out the Toys section on the MW menu page.

I don't know, for starters I would reccomend starting with a Bandai 1/55. They are sturdy, easy to transform, and cheap. A decent number of people don't like the removing leg thing for the 1/60s and the 1/48 is really expensive. Not to mention that you really don't play with the Yamatos (it's hard enough to get the 1/60s in a decent gerwalk pose.)

thank you, and 1 more question, how delicat are yamao's?

Well... I can't speak for the Macross Plus line or the Macross 1:48 line, but I can speak for the 1:60 line. In short they're fairly sturdy, but you can't be too rough on them. Dropping them is a no-no, and trying to force parts is also a thing you shouldn't do (unless you know exactly what you're doing).

The 1/48s are pretty sturdy, they seem fragile because of the weight but the plastic is durable. But like another member said, buy one if you have the cash. It's avg. of $140 + shipping. Not to mention you're going to want a Fast Pack if you do settle with this scale, that would be another avg. of $60 - $75 (+ or - shipping)

If you get a Bandai, I suggest getting the Super 1/55, that comes with the Fast Pack otherwise get your favorite paint scheme or character's.

The 1/60 gives you more of a variety for less price. They have the VF-1D, Ostrich and the Elint readily available. (I still see the VF-1D as readily available.)

You can check out Graham's reviews:

link

Or Leb's site:

link

I think 1/55s are good for nostalgia's sake. . . and if you were buying a toy for a kid (because of their durability).

But, honestly, if I could somehow remove the nostalgia from my eyes (which is impossible), I think I would probably look at a Bandai "chunky monkey" and say: "bleh, why would anyone buy these when Yamatos are available."

But, now we're getting into a classic Yamato vs Bandai debate which as been done to death elsewhere.

Lets keep in mind here though that this guy seems to have no nostalgic attachment to any of the older toys. . . and I think that is really Bandais strongest selling point to those of us who've been around for a while. :)

Regarding durability. . . if you're still the sort of person who plays with your toys, I'd go with Bandai I guess. But if you're the type who might transform it a few times a month, and then stare at it admiringly (and perhaps wave it about in the air while making swooshing sounds). . . then Yamato is your best bet.

Just one man's opinion.

H

Any of the 1/48 scale Valkyries, except for the Hikaru. Try to find a "Low Visibility Valkyrie" or "Low Availability Valkyrie", as I like to call them, if you can.

thank you, and 1 more question, how delicat are yamao's?

Ha! Check out the "What's wrong with my Yamato" thread that's pinned to the top of the board. It's not that they are ALL bad - it's just you can never tell if the one you just bought is going to make you a victim. Overall, the 1/48s are better made than the 1/60s. If you choose to go for a 1/60, the better ones are the VF-1S Strike, VF-1J Super Valk or the Max & Milia Super 1Js. Most of the other 1/60s have "issues" in various parts, even the newest 1D, VE-1 and VT-1.

Bandai's reissued 1/55 valks are based on a rock solid 20-year old design, with minor improvements to the swap-out heatshield/cockpit. Folks who like it do so because it represents what was state-of-the-art toy design back when Macross first aired on TV. The reissues are the cheapest way to get a piece of that nostalgia.

I have always liked macross, but I never had the toys, I just started looking and found this site, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a starting one?

thanks for your input :)

You're going to have to decide what kind of toy you want and what means more to you as an owner. If you're looking for a toy you can play with without care, drag through the mud, and knock off your shelf, get a Bandai 1/55 Scale Valkyrie. It's not very stylish and looks like a flying brick, but the thing transforms quickly, is as durable as toys get, and is cheap to purchase a reissue.

VF-1S Super 1/55 Scale Bandai for sale at Hobby Link Japan

If you want a toy that is fairly durable, your reasonably careful with your stuff, and you're mostly interested in display-and-play, get a Yamato 1/48 Scale Valkyrie. This is the most anime accurate transformable toy (note I said "toy", not model) that has ever been available. It holds together well, takes poses and keeps them, looks amazing, but is somewhat expensive.

VF-1S Hikaru 1/48 Scale Yamato for sale at Hobby Link Japan

As a toy newbie myself, I also lacked any kind of Macross toy up until about a year ago (I've been a fan of Macross most of my life). My first Valkyrie was Yamato 1/60 Scale. I can tell you right now, as a first time buyer, go for the Yamato 1/48 Scale instead. You'll be blown away by the quality and detail of the 1/48...it doesn't disappoint. Especially if you've never owned a Macross toy.

Hope this helps

Edited by Mr March

Here's my 2 cents: Just as everyone else has mentioned, the 1/48 VFs are the superlative renditions of the Valkyrie in toy form...nothing else even comes close. However, If you’re strapped for cash then the 1/60 VFs are more than adequate (some can be had for less than $40.00 MIB shipped on eBay); in some respects they look better than the 1/48, especially the canopy and hands. I'm not trying to push the 1/60s but they are really very good, and if you plan on eventually buying a Queadlun Rau female power armor (will come out sometime next year in 1/60 scale from Yamato) or any Destroids (Mac II Monster 1/60 also to be released within a year, I think) that may be made, than you need at lease a couple of 1/60 Valkyries.

Ultimately, whatever you decide to buy, welcome to your new hobby. But be forewarned, these things are like potato chips, you can never have just one. ;)

yamato all the way

if you're going to get a 1/48, then i don't see you wanting to get a 1/60 afterwards.

i started with the 1/60's, so i have no choice but to get them all, :p but you since you're just starting out, you should stick strictly to the 1/48's. B)

don't get me wrong i LOVE my 1/60's, but i know if i got a 1/48 first, i wouldn't have given the 1/60's another look.

the 1/48 has the perfect transformation deal but has some scale issues regarding the "pecker" on that bad boy, the over-sized chest plate, and the skinney arse arms. i'm nitpicking of course but thats what you're going to deal with.

the 1/60 looks the best overall in all 3 modes, but no prefect trans, meaning you're taking things off adding things on for each mode. the detachable leg is something you love or hate, theres no inbetween.

as drifand mentioned, its a crap shoot, you might get a good one you might get a bad one. i still love the 1/60's good or bad. :)

the bandai are the best for doing whatever, customizing and play value is far better than the 1/48 and 1/60. but its chunk and ugly, if you compare to the 1/48 or 1/60

DO NOT BUY TOYNAMI MASTER PIECE COLLECTION.