Playstation games on the PC

promethuem5

Hi all,

I've been looking around at games and stuff alot lately, and there are a couple I'd like to play from teh Playstation without buying the system...I was pretty sure there was a way to play playstation games on the computer, but I can't find it. Does this exist? My friend says it does and that it has some special name but he can't remeber what it is...

Thanks,

Ben

if you are talking about a Playstation 2 Emulator yes there are some available, but they are not fully working yet and they require a powerful computer to run.

here is the site that seems to have the most workable one right now

http://www.pcsx2.net/

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Sounds like you're talking about 'Bleem!', wich was shakey emulation at best, and you had to buy different versions depending on what PSX games you wanted to play.

There's other PSX emulators though. I don't have any experience with them, myself, but I've heard they've gotten quite good. A quick Google search should turn something up for you.

doh.. i just realized you are talking bout PS-1 there is a good one from the same guys who made the PS-2 one it works fully it is not Bleem its name is almost the same as the one I posted. It works fully but you still need a powerful computer to run them.

chris

Get the ISO, then burn it to disk and run from CD, or stick the game disk in the CD tray.

I emulated the PS1 some time ago. It was pretty shaky. It's been four years so I can only guess that it's gotten better and configuring the emulator with all the plugins and crap is nowhere near as complicated as it used to be.

PS: Bleem sucks. Find ePSXe. I have a copy of Bleem that I'm going to throw away sooner or later.

Edited by Stamen0083

I'm wokring on finding the ePSXe files right now... can I use the PSOne disk, or do I have to download a file?

337342[/snapback]

You can use a downloaded ISO, or a disk. Search for the files you need by name (and look in Italian pages) or use a P2P program. There was also a torrent that had every file for ePSXe.

I think my computer should be fast enough for the PSOne at least... Bleem sounds like what I was looking for.  I'll keep looking now that I have a vague idea what I'm looking for... do I have to download the games too, or get the PS disk?

How fast is it?

And you can download games OR use game disks.

BUT due to the nature of disk access emulation(it's FUBAR and doesn't work at all like a real PS does), it's far better to rip any real game disks you have to disk images and play from the hard drive. Avoids some frequent and vicious crashes in some games.

I'm wokring on finding the ePSXe files right now... can I use the PSOne disk, or do I have to download a file?

*rummages up some links*

http://ngemu.com/psx/index.php

Pete's software graphics plugin is the most accurate. His hardware plugin is fun to use, but not as accurate.

Last I heard, Eternal's sound plugin was the one to get.

The only 2 emus worth bothering with are ePSXe and PSXeven.

IMO, PSXeven is better due to the fact that it's possible to reconfigure the emu without closing it after you've loaded a game.

It crashes a fair bit while doing so, but it still makes testing plugins and configurations far easier.

Got it all up and running....now who wants to help me find an ISO for Castelvania: Symphony of Night?  :lol:  I have no idea where to look as I've never downloaded anything before....

337452[/snapback]

I dun really know where to get disk images right now.

I'd recommend used game stores. Might pay too much for it, though. Popular title.

I know... it's like, THE title... which is exactly why I want it.  Maybe I can ask my one friend if I can borrow his... what does it take to rip it?

337464[/snapback]

Ripping it takes a PC and CD-writing software.

In Nero(the app my writer came with) you use CD Copy and set output to "image writer".

I need some kinda account for this place it seems... are they okay?  And what's seeded?  I've never actually torrented.

337471[/snapback]

BitTorrent is a file-sharing app.

Seeded means that someone has the whole file. It's possible to get the whole thing from an unseeded torrent sometimes, because BT downloads non-sequentially, and if there's enough people with diffrent chunks, the torrent as a whole has the complete file.

Heh this thread should be changed to how to pirate and play that illegal copy 101 :p .

Anyways any better emulators than ePSXe? the one I tried awhile ago was either realy slow or very glitchy gfx side on my amd 3000 laptop.

337492[/snapback]

The emulator itself doesn't make a terrible difference, its the sound and graphics plugins that make a world's difference. Play around with Pete's and you might be surprised. The last time I fired up ePSXe was two and a half years ago on a P4-1.5 and GF4-4800, using ePSXe 5.2 (I think) with the latest Pete's and Eternal plugins. Blew the socks off hooking a PSX up to the TV, and no slowdowns either. mm... speaking of which, I need to finish Vagrant Story :p

Admittedly, laptops, specifically their graphics cards, typically don't really provide the sort of horsepower needed for emulations.

The emulator itself doesn't make a terrible difference, its the sound and graphics plugins that make a world's difference. 

A common misconception.

The emu itself is responsible for as much as the plugins.

Admittedly, laptops, specifically their graphics cards, typically don't really provide the sort of horsepower needed for emulations.

Typically video chipset is utterly irrelevant to emulation, as long as you have enough VRAM for the frame buffers.

MOST emulators don't do anything with the graphics hardware aside from throw the final image up.

Hardware-accelerated graphics are the exception, not the rule. And tend to be a bit glitchier than software-based solutions, as there's not a 1:1 mapping of functions, though most of them are usually "close enough."

As a current example for me:

RType Delta runs nearly flawlessly under Pete's software plugin. Switch to hardware-accelerated, and the title screen disappears, the pause menu and continue screen are corrupted, and the end-of-level summary refuses to show.

All in exchange for jacking up the resolution of a game that's STILL low poly and low texture. Sure it's running at 1600*1200 anti-aliased, 2xSAIed, low-poly, low-texture, but... everything's still "just a box."

Exaggeration. My comp can't push the above-quoted show. I can get 1024*768 anti-aliased, though. Forget what filter options I can do.

Typically video chipset is utterly irrelevant to emulation, as long as you have enough VRAM for the frame buffers.

MOST emulators don't do anything with the graphics hardware aside from throw the final image up.

Hardware-accelerated graphics are the exception, not the rule. And tend to be a bit glitchier than software-based solutions, as there's not a 1:1 mapping of functions, though most of them are usually "close enough."

As a current example for me:

RType Delta runs nearly flawlessly under Pete's software plugin. Switch to hardware-accelerated, and the title screen disappears, the pause menu and continue screen are corrupted, and the end-of-level summary refuses to show.

All in exchange for jacking up the resolution of a game that's STILL low poly and low texture. Sure it's running at 1600*1200 anti-aliased, 2xSAIed,  low-poly, low-texture, but... everything's still "just a box."

Exaggeration. My comp can't push the above-quoted show. I can get 1024*768 anti-aliased, though. Forget what filter options I can do.

337505[/snapback]

Well, I'll have to confess before the GF4 I was running emus on a TNT2, so my view might be slightly biased :D I've actually never used software plugins (PEOpS), since hardware (Pete's OGL/D3D) has always worked for me. But each PSX game has different requirements so I guess the best answer should be: YMMV.

The ePSXe boards should have optimal plugin combinations and settings for every game out there, so if anybody's having problems that should be the first place to start.

Well, I'll have to confess before the GF4 I was running emus on a TNT2, so my view might be slightly biased  :D

I went from a TNT1 to a GeForce2MX(during the GeForce 4 period) to a Quadro 3000FX(which is a GeForce 5900 Ultra equivalent).

Most of my emulation's been older stuff, though. Arcades and SNES and so on.

I've actually never used software plugins (PEOpS), since hardware (Pete's OGL/D3D) has always worked for me.  But each PSX game has different requirements so I guess the best answer should be: YMMV.

The ePSXe boards should have optimal plugin combinations and settings for every game out there, so if anybody's having problems that should be the first place to start.

And THAT is why I hate modern system emulation.

I'd rather have an emulator that focuses on accuracy and runs most games under a single config than one that requires you to juggle plugins, change settings, etc.

Heh this thread should be changed to how to pirate and play that illegal copy 101 :p .

Anyways any better emulators than ePSXe? the one I tried awhile ago was either realy slow or very glitchy gfx side on my amd 3000 laptop.

337492[/snapback]

The emulator itself doesn't make a terrible difference, its the sound and graphics plugins that make a world's difference. Play around with Pete's and you might be surprised. The last time I fired up ePSXe was two and a half years ago on a P4-1.5 and GF4-4800, using ePSXe 5.2 (I think) with the latest Pete's and Eternal plugins. Blew the socks off hooking a PSX up to the TV, and no slowdowns either. mm... speaking of which, I need to finish Vagrant Story :p

337500[/snapback]

You insult canada with that :p ati 9600 only 64mb but enough to play black and white 2, doom 3 and half life 2.

337492[/snapback]

337500[/snapback]

You insult canada with that :p ati 9600 only 64mb but enough to play black and white 2, doom 3 and half life 2.

337530[/snapback]

ATI sucks. Because only nVidia offers 3D graphics drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dstereo_78.01.html

step2: download epsxe and petes epsxe graphic plugin and the eternal spu plugin from your favorite emulation site.

337375[/snapback]

I've used ePSXe before but I'm curious, what is this "eternal spu plugin" and what are its benefits?

337500[/snapback]

Heh, unless of course, you buy the Segar 98XX brand notebooks which I did :D

And THAT is why I hate modern system emulation.

I'd rather have an emulator that focuses on accuracy and runs most games under a single config than one that requires you to juggle plugins, change settings, etc.

337519[/snapback]

Quoted for truth!! I have avoided epsxe lately due to the whole "juggling plug-ins" dilema. It's simply too tedious for it's own good. Unless there's a one for all plug-in that's optimal for the majority of games out there, I'll stick with the likes of ZSNES, GBAdvance, J-Nes, Mame, Kawax, and Gens :)

Well in the case of certin games, namely square games, the eternal spu is recomended over the standerd epsxe spu. it also has some fixes for MGS and a few other games. and overall it works pretty damn well.

as for epsxe graphics plugins, the 3d plugins work great for the majority of the games, but for 2d games, like the aforementioned castlevania:SOTN then petes software plugin is best.

Quoted for truth!! I have avoided epsxe lately due to the whole "juggling plug-ins" dilema. It's simply too tedious for it's own good. Unless there's a one for all plug-in that's optimal for the majority of games out there,  I'll stick with the likes of ZSNES, GBAdvance, J-Nes, Mame, Kawax, and Gens :)

337553[/snapback]

Which is why I just went with the best PSX emu of all... *hugz PS2 :p *

I do miss save states though <_<

Getting all the plugins and such wasn't actually very hard. ePSXe has everything you need basically, including a tutorial, and NGemu has the rest of whatever files you need... finding the BIOs was erm... more interesting. Still need the game tho. Might just end up buying it... my friend says it was released as a Greatest Hits.

Getting all the plugins and such wasn't actually very hard.  ePSXe has everything you need basically, including a tutorial, and NGemu has the rest of whatever files you need... finding the BIOs was  erm... more interesting.  Still need the game tho.  Might just end up buying it... my friend says it was released as a Greatest Hits.

337573[/snapback]

Most people don't want to have to play with fifty different settings in order to play their game with working titles, smooth text sprites, and non-lagging battleswirls. I got a kick out of it though...

SOTN is relatively easy to find though... *shudders at memory of tracking down Valkyrie Profile*

Hi again,

I found a torrent for SoN... is this site legit?  Anyopne know where to download a client?  I heard Azraeus is the best.

337602[/snapback]

Sorry last nights post didn’t make much sense (last time I post half asleep).

I get most of my torrents in the page you mentioned, it’s a good page where you can see the names of the files that make up the torrent in case there’s something fishy.

I’ve just tried that Castelvania Torrent and I can only say that it has a good number or seeders and lechers right now. Game files usually come zipped so you never know what’s inside until you completely download the file.

There’s also http://rapo.no-ip.com/prog/relweb.pl?q=psx&rws=Go

On clients I can only speak of the original BitTorrent and of Bitlord.

Of Azerus I've heard that it uses up a lot of memory.

BitTorrent is very basic and the last version I had only permitted one download at a time.

Bitlord is based on Bitcomet, it has a built in navigator (based on mozilla) and has access to a search engine for torrents (like the one I posted yesterday). Sometimes I find with this engine things that I can’t find in other places (but I prefer not to use it).

The good thing about clients like Bitcomet, Azerus or Bitlord is that you can select the files that you want and don’t want to download in case of multifile torrents, can have more than one download at a time plus you can see a whole lot of other information (and I find them easier to use than e-mule/e-donkey). You only need to have port 6881 open to use this programs and select an upload speed (the max you want people to leech from you). Set this to be 80% of your max upload speed (depends on your Internet provider) so that you can have a nice download speed (share little you get little, share a lot and you can’t get any).

Castelvania SOTN is a beautiful game. If you can get it original, do so. Nice looking manual and nice cover. One of the best 2D games I’ve ever played (to bad my PSX is dead, I only had 2% left to complete it).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Twoducks