We have new missile model designations!

nanashino

Good work as usual.

The HAIM-95A Mobile Missile/Launcher Pod entry is especially interesting as the top picture shows what is presumably the launch hatch (I'd been wondering about that).

I would hazard a guess that the capacity of the pod is greater than 4 missiles though (perhaps 6 is my guess). When triple missile pylons are alreday available for the medium range AIM-200A missiles, it doesn't seem to make sense to have such a large and bulky pod to only house 4 missiles.

Graham

The HAIM-95A Mobile Missile/Launcher Pod entry is especially interesting as the top picture shows what is presumably the launch hatch (I'd been wondering about that).

I would hazard a guess that the capacity of the pod is greater than 4 missiles though (perhaps 6 is my guess). When triple missile pylons are alreday available for the medium range AIM-200A missiles, it doesn't seem to make sense to have such a large and bulky pod to only house 4 missiles.

336262[/snapback]

I don't know.... The AIM-200As are medium range and are fairly large already. Four missiles/pod would sound about right.

I don't know.... The AIM-200As are medium range and are fairly large already. Four missiles/pod would sound about right.

336327[/snapback]

Well the HAIM-95 is not that big judging by the photo on this page. But The pod on the VF-0A's wing is pretty huge. IMO it certainly looks large enough to hold more than 4 of the HAIM-95 missiles. And don't forget that 4 missiles is just Nanashino's guess, not an official figure from Kawamori or Big West.

Graham

The agile was a nice concept, I knew an engineer who worked on it at China Lake. It was intended to be tube launched and manuever by thrust vectoring, what eventually killed it was the materials used in the TVE, they couldn't stand the heat. When RAM finally came around they used the lessons from agile to make a better missile that still used manuevering fins and was based more on sidewinder. If you look at Agile it short and stubby my A-A missile standards, somewhat like the missiles in macross.

Well the HAIM-95 is not that big judging by the photo on this page. But The pod on the VF-0A's wing is pretty huge. IMO it certainly looks large enough to hold more than 4 of the HAIM-95 missiles. And don't forget that 4 missiles is just Nanashino's guess, not an official figure from Kawamori or Big West.

336534[/snapback]

Yes I saw that pic. But the fact that the pod, at certain angles, doesn't look that big makes me think 4 is a more conservative number. For all we know, it may carry 8 or 12. But that's only with the HAIM-95. It could probably carry more or less depending on the missile type.

That's right Graham. We do not know that the HAIM-95A is anything like the real life Hughes AIM-95. We know that they are the same thing. The Hughes AIM-95 was a short range missile meant to replace the Sidewinder, but the program got cancelled. Perhaps in the world of Macross [Zero], the program or one like it was [re]started. I only included it because it may be an inspiration for the model designation. There is no more official data available as yet.

-Windjammer

Nanashi's Information Group

www.macrossmecha.info

336327[/snapback]

Graham

336534[/snapback]