Fire and Ice

Mr March

Fire_and_Ice_Cover.jpg

Just purchased a very nice DVD edition of this old animated film from way back in 1983. Fire and Ice stands as one of the few western animated films to offer a somewhat mature fantasy story to the audience. Haven't seen it in years, but I must say for an old fantasy/sci-fi buff like myself, this film ages well. I grew up on Conan, D&D, Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, and Terry Brooks novels, so for a fan like me, this film was a special treat.

Anyone else like this film? Here's the IMDB entry if you need some more information to help fire the old synapses :)

Internet Movie Database entry for Fire and Ice

I remember this movie slightly due to the cover. I believe Frank Frazetta worked on it if i recall, i think they also used rotoscope (is that the word i am looking for?) and used live actors for the animation and then drew over the live action to make it look animated.

I love the leopard guy in this movie. Especially when he buried his axe in someone's chest. Crazy stuff. That and the immense jugs on the female character who seemed to have no problem crawling through fire and ice with barely anything but string covering her privates. :lol:

I remember this movie slightly due to the cover. I believe Frank Frazetta worked on it if i recall, i think they also used rotoscope (is that the word i am looking for?) and used live actors for the animation and then drew over the live action to make it look animated.

334880[/snapback]

Yup, rotoscoping is the correct term for the animation used in the film. It involves drawing over live action performance, but high quality rotoscope animation is difficult to do and quite rare, despite the obvious time-saving advantages. There's a good, brief entry on rotoscoping at Wiki:

Wikipedia's Rotoscoping Definition

I love the leopard guy in this movie.  Especially when he buried his axe in someone's chest.  Crazy stuff.  That and the immense jugs on the female character who seemed to have no problem crawling through fire and ice with barely anything but string covering her privates.  :lol:

334882[/snapback]

Darkwolf is the character's name and he lovingly cleaves his axe into a great many bodies throughout the film :)

To be quite honest, none of the characters in the film use much clothing. Teegra and Larn (the female and male lead characters) pretty much walk around in a loin cloth the entire film. Every other character is pretty much just a variation on prehistoric minimalist clothing :)

I made a thread about this years ago here... I love that movie, its all about the rotoscope.

334884[/snapback]

Those rotoscope movies from the early '80s where the sh!t. Fire & Ice, the Rankin Bass LOTR and American Pop are some of my alltime favorite American made "adult" films... and Wizzards... no roto in Wizzards though.

334891[/snapback]

Ah Agent ONE, how could I guess you'd love this kind of film :)

JsARCLIGHT I remember well the old Bakshi-animated Lord of The Rings. I very much enjoyed that film and was sad to see the whole project canned by bad decisions of behalf of United Artists. While it's a very abbreviated version of the books, the animation, editing, voice acting, and soundtrack were all well done. Visually, the film is a lot of fun to watch.

So does this version of F&I include the ENTIRE Frazetta documentary (which is available elsewhere) or is it a truncated version?

334900[/snapback]

Seems like only the main program - "Painting With Fire" - is included on the extras disk (along with the Director & Producer Commentary track). None of the extras included in the 2-Disc Painting With Fire DVD are advertised.

Amazon has a good breakdown of the features on the DVD releases of Fire & Ice and Painting With Fire.

Fire and Ice 2-Disc DVD

Frazetta: Painting With Fire 2-Disc DVD

Heck Yeah! This movie rocked. The Darkwolf character was a well done Wolverine rip before wolvie became so mainstream.

Also, the way the main telepathic bad guy used his power - with the gestures and thunderclap sound - is even copied by Lucas in Episode II when Darth Maul used his force powers in the fight with Obi Wan and Qui Gonn.

Looks like I have to get both DVDs... which is great cos I was waiting for something to buy from amazon to get the free shipping. Does the DVDs come with stills of the drawings in the beginning of the movie. I've always loved those drawings... they're probably my favorite part of the movie.

ADD: yeah... it broke my heart too when the Lord Of The Rings was never finished. I don't rewatch it for that reason.

Edited by >EXO<

Darkwolf is the character's name and he lovingly cleaves his axe into a great many bodies throughout the film :)

To be quite honest, none of the characters in the film use much clothing.  Teegra and Larn (the female and male lead characters) pretty much walk around in a loin cloth the entire film.  Every other character is pretty much just a variation on prehistoric minimalist clothing :)

334904[/snapback]

Hahhaha, I never even noticed that other guy. The only reason I even noticed Darkwolf is because he was lovingly cleaving people's ribcages with his axe. Other than that, I vaguely remember some blond blurry thing following around the bouncing boobs as they escaped from a octopus, bunch of animal men, and struggled as a flying thing grabbed her. :lol:

Looks like I have to get both DVDs... which is great cos I was waiting for something to buy from amazon to get the free shipping.  Does the DVDs come with stills of the drawings in the beginning of the movie.  I've always loved those drawings... they're probably my favorite part of the movie.

ADD: yeah... it broke my heart too when the Lord Of The Rings was never finished.  I don't rewatch it for that reason.

334994[/snapback]

The Prologue to the film (played right after the opening credits) is narrated by Cynthia Leake. A brief written introduction comes on screen, followed by a series of stillframe lineart, setting a time for the story in a roughly prehistoric era and depicting the history of the Juliana, the raising of Nekron, and the war to date. Then the animated film starts.

Oh man, it's been forever since I've seen this movie...it's out now you say?  Must purchase...  I think it's hilarious the background matte painting was done by none other than Thomas Kinkade :lol:

335031[/snapback]

Yeah, the DVD has been released since early September this year, but I just came across it on the new release section at one of my local independant movie rental stores. I try to watch all the new DVD releases, but every once in a while a film I've been waiting for slips by :)

Looks like I have to get both DVDs... which is great cos I was waiting for something to buy from amazon to get the free shipping.  Does the DVDs come with stills of the drawings in the beginning of the movie.  I've always loved those drawings... they're probably my favorite part of the movie.

ADD: yeah... it broke my heart too when the Lord Of The Rings was never finished.  I don't rewatch it for that reason.

334994[/snapback]

The Prologue to the film (played right after the opening credits) is narrated by Cynthia Leake. A brief written introduction comes on screen, followed by a series of stillframe lineart, setting a time for the story in a roughly prehistoric era and depicting the history of the Juliana, the raising of Nekron, and the war to date. Then the animated film starts.

335125[/snapback]

I meant to ask if they have a slideshow in the extras that showed off the drawings more. I guess I'll just find out when I get the DVDs. Thanks Mr. March!

Those rotoscope movies from the early '80s where the sh!t. Fire & Ice, the Rankin Bass LOTR and American Pop are some of my alltime favorite American made "adult" films... and Wizzards... no roto in Wizzards though.

334891[/snapback]

Correction- It was the Ralph Bakshi version which was, quite terribly, rotoscoped. The Rankin Bass films (The Hobbit, Return of the King) were done primarily by Japanese studios... Hmmm, does that technically make them anime?

*snip*

I meant to ask if they have a slideshow in the extras that showed off the drawings more.  I guess I'll just find out when I get the DVDs.  Thanks Mr. March!

335141[/snapback]

There's a behind the scenes still gallery, but as I've yet to go through all the special features (just got the DVD yesterday after work), I can't comment on what is included.

334891[/snapback]

Correction- It was the Ralph Bakshi version which was, quite terribly, rotoscoped. The Rankin Bass films (The Hobbit, Return of the King) were done primarily by Japanese studios... Hmmm, does that technically make them anime?

335142[/snapback]

I meant Bakshi... I was thinking Rankin Bass because for some reason Rudolf's shiny newyear is stuck in my head. :huh:

334891[/snapback]

335142[/snapback]

I meant Bakshi... I was thinking Rankin Bass because for some reason Rudolf's shiny newyear is stuck in my head. :huh:

335150[/snapback]

:lol:

I made a thread about this years ago here... I love that movie, its all about the rotoscope.

334884[/snapback]

Even though there's no Schwarzenegger in it? :ph34r:

334998[/snapback]

Darkwolf was awesome, therefore he was inspired by Arnold therefore this film was a true embodyment of the awesomeness of the Austrian Oak.