Call of Duty 2

Coota0

Anybody else downloaded the demo and played it yet?

Get it here

332886[/snapback]

Yep. Good demo. But there are a lot of complainers out there griping about how slow it runs on even high-end computers. I've got a high-end computer myself (Athlon X2 @ 2.5GHz, Dual 7800GTX SLI, 2GB RAM), and it's even slow for me (about 30fps @ 1600x1200 4XAA). But, well, it's a pre-release demo so I'm not ready to start whining just yet. Indeed, it does look like there are a lot of driver problems with it since SLI refuses to work in any mode with it and people get low framerates even with all the eye candy turned off.

H

Anybody else downloaded the demo and played it yet?

Get it here

332886[/snapback]

Yep. Good demo. But there are a lot of complainers out there griping about how slow it runs on even high-end computers. I've got a high-end computer myself (Athlon X2 @ 2.5GHz, Dual 7800GTX SLI, 2GB RAM), and it's even slow for me (about 30fps @ 1600x1200 4XAA). But, well, it's a pre-release demo so I'm not ready to start whining just yet. Indeed, it does look like there are a lot of driver problems with it since SLI refuses to work in any mode with it and people get low framerates even with all the eye candy turned off.

H

332888[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm even having problems playing it on my Dell, and I have a Pentium 4 3.6GHz processor, 4GB RAM, and a nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX OC card. Seeing as how this is just a demo, I'm sure the finished product will be fine. I hope...

I wanted to love it, but for whatever reason I'm just "satisfied" with the demo. I looked nice, but nowhere near as nice as other new games (like F.E.A.R) and the gameplay was just more of the same. And where did my sprint function go? One of the best (and simplest) features that United Offensive added, and Infinity Ward leaves it out? :huh:

i liked it alot , it is still only a demo the final version may be far far nicer, i did not have any problems on my PC I have a 2.0 GHz processor (slow) and the Geforce 6800 LE but featured no slow down at all, maybe I should try to set the game on the highest settings next time.

chris

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'll gladly recant my criticisms of the demo. This game is fabulous. I just plowed through the Russian campaign on Hardened difficulty. My only beef is that the DirectX 9 mode turns it into a slide show. But on the default DirectX 7 mode, it runs buttery smooth. I think I've finally reached the limits of what my current rig can handle. Oh well, no glossy bump-mapping for me.

Well I beat the game yesterday, but I wasn't as impressed overall as I was with the first one. Few observations:

1) The game seemed to be a whole lot of clearing houses.

2) The British officers in the British campaign were lousy they were never around when I was heading to the next mission goal, it seemed like I would fight my away to the next objective by myself and then the rest of the squad would magically appear.

3) The Tank levels were much better than in United Offensive

4)The Africa Campaign was pretty cool, but the European part was all house clearing

5)Loved the American Campaighn, especially Point Du Hoc, and the Rhine crossing

Well... it's hard to say but I'm kinda fed up with clearing houses and it's the same restricted storyline gameplay since the start of MOHAA. I personally don't see much improvement from COD1. I hope they will make a realtime wwII sim in the future.

The first one was fair at best and this sequel appears to be no improvement. I don't like being forcefully pulled through the storyline by the balls, the multiplayer bunny-hopping is totally gay, and the skins and gun sounds both suck ass. The Thompson sounds like a old-school manual typewriter... clack, clack, clack, clack. I'm not wasting my money on this overpriced, overhyped p.o.s.

The first one was fair at best and this sequel appears to be no improvement. I don't like being forcefully pulled through the storyline by the balls, the multiplayer bunny-hopping is totally gay, and the skins and gun sounds both suck ass. The Thompson sounds like a old-school manual typewriter... clack, clack, clack, clack. I'm not wasting my money on this overpriced, overhyped p.o.s.

340742[/snapback]

Wow....it's like a virtual copy of the DoD boards. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I finished it last night. I'd have to say that the combined Normandy campaign has to be hands down my favorite single player gaming experience to date. Pointe du Hoc, Caen, Hill 400...all of it rocked. The new non-linear maps were a real breath of fresh air, especailly after HL2. The new sound fx (recorded from real firearms, unlike another unnamed WW2 shooter) are great, as is the "battle chatter" system for the AI. Its a game I highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's good news for anybody who's having trouble playing with DirectX 9 enabled. By using the tweeks and .cfg file on THIS page, I'm now able to run CoD 2 in DX9 mode in both single and multiplayer mode. I just got off a crazy 30 player team deathmatch server with all kinds of smoke, tracers, and so forth, and I never found any noticable lag. Try it out for yourselves.