MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

Question did anyone else buy the MSG headset and are they having problems with it?

On sale for $39.99 at Best Buy it sound like a good deal. I've have yet heard it working right. Not sure it's a problem on my end or with others. Before I enter the game it seem alright during the system setting part. I enter a game and hear people asking "can you hear me?" I say yes but they don't reply. In my last game I think they heard me okay but I just got mumbled static from a guy.

If you think the there was a huge difference between the first and second act, wait till the third. And fourth adds even more variety.

There have been multiple 30-minute cut scenes. I have yet to see a cut scene last 90-minutes, though I suspect one was over 30. At least a few of them allow you to save in the middle. That certainly helps along with the pause function. Many are interactive to a degree as well

BTW, I thought I heard this was supposed to be close to a thirty hour game or something. I seem to be averaging about three hours per act. There can't possibly be ten acts. So far, it seems to me that many of the various previews and reviews have exaggerated some things.

Edited by VT 1010

There have been multiple 30-minute cut scenes. I have yet to see a cut scene last 90-minutes, though I suspect one was over 30. At least a few of them allow you to save in the middle. That certainly helps along with the pause function. Many are interactive to a degree as well

BTW, I thought I heard this was supposed to be close to a thirty hour game or something. I seem to be averaging about three hours per act. There can't possibly be ten acts. So far, it seems to me that many of the various previews and reviews have exaggerated some things.

A buddy of mine who played it completely through said it took him about 20 hours, and the rumored 90-minute cut scene is

the ending, rather than an in-game one

Question did anyone else buy the MSG headset and are they having problems with it?

On sale for $39.99 at Best Buy it sound like a good deal. I've have yet heard it working right. Not sure it's a problem on my end or with others. Before I enter the game it seem alright during the system setting part. I enter a game and hear people asking "can you hear me?" I say yes but they don't reply. In my last game I think they heard me okay but I just got mumbled static from a guy.

There seem to be a few variables with the headsets in general, one being that not everyone knows how to set things up properly. I haven't been able to find the MGS one yet, but I tried a bit with my girlfriends, and nooticed some people were definately more understandable than others. I can only assume those coming across as mumbled static are setting their in game bletooth settings for broadcast way too high.

There are 3 settings.

-Sending

-Recieving from players

-Recieving from in game preset voices.

I think setting all to around 6 or 7 should be ok, but 9 & 10 put things in the static range. It'd also be nice if there was an in game audio test, like there is in the ps3's audio settings, so you can test how clear you're coming across.

I'm guessing over-tuning the broadcast sensativity also has something to do with some people's headset's randomly popping on & off, since that's what happened to me. All settings for the audio can be changed during matches, and inbetween.

I just finished it! Apparently, I'm a Tarantula.

That was one of the best games I have played in quite a while. It had a long and satisfying ending too. The last couple of cut scenes were lengthy, but they didn't last 90-minutes.

I'll try multiplayer in the next couple of days.

I completed it as well in 19 hours with a rank of eagle, I killed way over 250 people but maybe next playthrough I'll be better. As far as story wise MGS4 was perfect.... absolutely perfect. It tied everything together so well and left me guessing till the very end. Gameplay wise it was refreshing to play something other than a cut and paste first person shooter (man they have been really popular lately). The weapon customization is kinda cool but honestly it wasnt as addictive as I've been hearing, just buy a scope and pop it on your gun.... big deal :lol: . Also the Psych meter is annoyingly annoying, its really kinda useless. That said though MGS4 gameplay is amazing, and also has 2 of the best MGS boss fights ever (both of which come in the latter half of the game) to make sure you go back and play again! Finally Kojima made a game that surpassed MGS ..... MGS4!

Just finished the 3rd act and MAAANNNNN, this game is awesome!!! Kojima really has made his masterpiece.

The story is really where this one shines. You go across the world several times and see nice big maps. I really got emotional at the end of this act (

so depressing for Snake

)

Anyway, i hope to be done by the next few days.

On a side note, just found out that Kurt Wimmer is in talks to direct the MGS movie(old news i know) Anyone who has seen Equilibrium, knows how good this guy is (I really try and forget about Ultraviolet) so I think he could do it justice. But, Kojima would so be the best choice.

Edited by RDClip

Still haven't played since act I. Will try again Sunday. Been playing the online mode. Had better luck with the head set today. Some people I can hear and can hear me. Others not so good.

Accidently killed a guy with friendly fire. He was standing next to an enemy jerk started calling me a newb. Kinda strange how you be calling people newbies when the game came out a couple of days ago. Then I had some people yacking. Is everyone online a kid with Southern accent?

so far ive gotten up to act 3 its already 3:10 AM. I wish I coulda played sooner but ive been real busy this week with work and all and I now finally have some free time to play. As I am posting this as I cannot stop playing this awesome game! LOL this is really bad for my health to according to the message on my act 3 install screen... it recorded my systems time of day 1:00AM at the time and told me I should go to sleep lol. GOTY easily.

so, I keep getting an unable to connect to server error code... is this just me or are the servers down?

so, it looks like there was a problem registering my game ID.... frak.

ah, fixed. logged into the mgo store and it fixed my gamer ID

Edited by eugimon

so, it looks like there was a problem registering my game ID.... frak.

If you cant get online atm its most likely because of weekly server maintenance. I highly doubt its anything on your side eugimon. Setting up the konami ID and game ID is annoying though. luckily if you save your information after the first correct input it should be fine and stable.

If you cant get online atm its most likely because of weekly server maintenance. I highly doubt its anything on your side eugimon. Setting up the konami ID and game ID is annoying though. luckily if you save your information after the first correct input it should be fine and stable.

nah, I fragged up my game ID somehow. I couldn't even login to the mgo website to access the community support page.

But the mgo shop wants your konami ID and after I logged into that, it resolved my game ID so that I can login to the game and to the website.

Is everyone online a kid with Southern accent?

Them there hillbillies ain't got nuttin better'do than be online...

Just finnished the 3rd act, and I haven't lost this much sleep playing a game since MGS3 :) All the complaints I've heard about the story so far seem inane, things are flowing along very nicely & sensably.

I can't help but think Kojima did have a good share of this planned out by the end of 2. And this isn't so much of a spoiler, but I can't help but think his talk of retiring form directing Metal Gear is B.S. (again), as this game just screams for a Raiden sidestory sseries. Hell, aside from the lack of mentioning Lucifer Alpha, Snatcher is really fitting in well with the story here after all these years. I could totally see both it & Policenauts being redone.

Also gotta love the 2nd Runner wallpaper on Otacon's computer.

I finally got back into playing MGO, they made a few changes since the beta but its pretty much the same. My ingame ID is yet again dizman, I mostly am playing on knife only servers atm (I miss my throat cutting skill from the beta :lol: ).

Well I finally finished the game last night. 28:50 hours of playing time, with a Bear ranking (CQC Expert).

That was awesome... and even that word doesn't seem strong enough to convey the greatness of this work. Kojima not just created a wonderful game, but a true work of art. Hell it is probably the best videogame I've everplay - it is also definitly better than a lot of stuff in other media as well. I'd say the ending even manages to surpasse MGS3's - which in my mind was near impossible.

It really is -that- good. I'd say if you like videogames it's just one of the games that you just HAVE to try out. As simple of that.

And I must say I'm not too keen on a MGS5 after that.... It'd almost seem a wast to creat a new Metal Gear considering how fitting this game ends, and how it ties up everything in the series. And the idead of a Metal Gear witout Kojima is just scary... especially in term of plot. If they do now Metal Game I'd hope they do and trill to fill in some of the gaps between games rather than trying to make a pointless sequel

I'll porbably post more spoilery thought later.

-Sergorn

I'll porbably post more spoilery thought later.

-Sergorn

Please don't t. Keep it spoiler free for about a month.

List of Online MWers

Once one of us makes level 3 we can start a clan. Correction, Squadron.

dizman

greenfish

Kamjin

Keith Zet

More?

Others?

Spoiler of doom, although it really isnt that big of a spoiler.

Man I tell ya at the one point where snake was walking through the microwave oven (how did he survive that anyways?) I actually almost started to cry. That part really got to me, snake being helpless to do anything but go on and maybe make it to the end. I wouldnt say Kojima is a genius but that really was an amazing idea.

Please don't t. Keep it spoiler free for about a month.

List of Online MWers

Once one of us makes level 3 we can start a clan. Correction, Squadron.

dizman

greenfish

Kamjin

Keith Zet

More?

Others?

If its game ID for MGO, I am pouchman. Though I used to only play solo (and still green), so need a pointer or two on how to join/add you guys or be in a clan.

Also, did they removed the auto aim on MGO? Seems like the few games I tried couldn't auto-aim anymore on sub machine guns nor assault rifles. It just give me a "beep" when I try to activate it. Just wondering.

I assumed the game hosts was turning off auto-aim. I could really used it on the areas with level ground.

Tips

To go friends and search these names and add us to your list.

List of Online MWers

dizman

greenfish

Kamjin

Keith Zet

pouchman

Yeah. I like the auto aim as well. Especially when this game takes so many hits to down a guy (unless you are very good at head shots), and your opponent have quite a few moves to hop around distracting your aim, its really hard to rely just on manual over the shoulder aiming. While first person view tend to be very slow (both getting into position and the sensitivity). Hard to follow a fast or hopping guy even at sensitivity 10. Though I am sure partly is due to my skills as well. Never been that great on shooters since I don't play them often.

Though I remember I did decent during MGO beta with auto-aim.

This is my first MG game, ever. I'm on act IV now but I gotta say, this whole, play for an hour, watch 1.5 hours of cutscene is kinda bumming me out. I wish they had incorporated the story into the gameplay a little better.

This is my first MG game, ever. I'm on act IV now but I gotta say, this whole, play for an hour, watch 1.5 hours of cutscene is kinda bumming me out. I wish they had incorporated the story into the gameplay a little better.

Sounds like MGS 2 all over again. I hated the game for that.

Sounds like MGS 2 all over again. I hated the game for that.

except this time its not in codec, its actual cutscenes.

And you gotta epect this from MG. The games in the series are more like movies than strictly video games prolly because the creator always dreamed of being a film director.

Like RDClip said Kojima always wanted to be a Movie Director. Also MGS4 is being used to tie all the previous games together so you have to expect the cutscenes to be alittle long. Luckily there are only like 5 codec conversations and only 2 people (gasph) you ever need to call. All I can say is sit back and enjoy the movie, heck I even made some popcorn while watching the ending :lol: .

Edited by dizman