MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

The DVD is a great freebie. They did left out a lot in the 20 min footage, but still a good watch. Love that they included all major trailers as well (add up another 30 mins to watch). Just wonder how good MGO is going to be, and hope that there won't be a connection disaster on the beta like the early days when they first released COD4 for online play.

I must be in the minority but the Saga 2.0 DVD seemed lackluster in terms of explaining things compared to Saga vol. 1. But I guess you're supposed to have seen both anyways. Another minor gripe...wth, the disc isn't anamorphic? :blink: Ah well, it's free.

Limited Edition of MGS4 is a Gamestop exclusive and will cost $84.99.

Includes the extra limited Blu-ray disc (all of the high def trailers hoping as well) and the art book as well as the metal case etc.

thanks for the pics!

Why can't the US bundle version be that color too?

I'm going to hit GS tomorrow and see if they'll give me the DVD for preordering the system bundle instead of the LE.

Then again, they weren't taking preorders for the system yet.

the US bundle version is gonna be that color, but only the Limited version of the bundle. So we'll get a chance to get it. I'ma talk to my friend that works at EB to see if he save one for me. ^_^

thanks for the pics!

Why can't the US bundle version be that color too?

I'm going to hit GS tomorrow and see if they'll give me the DVD for preordering the system bundle instead of the LE.

Then again, they weren't taking preorders for the system yet.

We're getting the Steel one too. I like it, it has a matte finish. But then again, I already have 2 PS3's...dont know if I can justify to myself a 3rd.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but like the gunmetal 1000x more than the black, so I definitely want to get the super-special bundle or whatever. Still, being 80G instead of the 40G I planned on getting, PLUS being "limited" may drive the price too high.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but like the gunmetal 1000x more than the black, so I definitely want to get the super-special bundle or whatever. Still, being 80G instead of the 40G I planned on getting, PLUS being "limited" may drive the price too high.

The Steel one is 40GB in Japan...the Uber Limited may be 40 in the US too. All we know is the regular bundle is the 80GB.

well, I don't mind the 40, I still have my PS2 and PS1 if I want to venture back into those ancient RPGs or play some IQ/IQ Final.

Gamestop wasn't taking preorders for the systems yet, but they did give me the bonus DVD that you would get from preordering the game or LE version of the game.

But I didn't want to preorder either since hopefully, my system will come with the game.

Some people with MGO Beta codes got screwed as the codes are 12 digits but some have only 11 or 9 printed on the vouchers. Mine included. Shoot an email to Konami if you are one of the unlucky few:

mgobetasupport@konami.com

I've got an MGO code that I won't use, so, first person to read this and use it gets it :)

CA2C-NHBA-REJE

have fun

post if you use it so other people won't be trying all day

Edited by Chowser

Well funny story, aparently konami's having a plethora (of pinatas :lol: ) of problems with the beta. Konami wasn't expecting so many people to log on and we overloaded the servers (which were being shared between the US, Europe and Japan) so the they shut down the beta for the US and Europe. They are trying to fix the problem and I've heard the earliest startup date is around the 25th, they also are saying they will extend the cutoff date for us so we get the full 2 weeks. So as it is now download the patch for 5 hours, get a Konami ID and sit back and relax for a few days. Sigh.....

Downloading beta was quick for me...but the update took over an hour for me. All is ready now though. The character creation seems pretty cool. There are some vids up on the net of it.

Edited by Gaijin

There anybody out there who doesn't want that extra dvd that came with the preorder? I preordered mine and never received one because they sold out of them. Bastids! Anyway, let me know if you guys don't want it. I'd like to get that dvd. Thanx!

Metal Gear Online Beta up and running!

Played for about an hour...so far I like it. It's sort of in between SOCOM and COD4. Not fast like COD4, more tactically based, since running around shooting will get you killed. Similar to MGS3's online but more refined. SOP system is awesome!

The only other online shooter I've played is Portable Ops, so I don't have too much to compare it too, but very awesome so far. I didn't like the control changes at first, but I've gotten used to them. I find myself sniping more than anything else so far. All the controls shown in the game are pretty easy to pull off. Jumping into first person, rolling on your back to toss a grenade, etc. I can't wait to see how Snake handles though.

Edited by Keith

Woo it's finally up! Pretty fun so far, too bad it only came with 2 maps though. The small map kinda annoys me but Grozny Grad is just amazingly fun! The controls are a little odd but thats how MGS always was. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sigh, too bad the one gamemode (snake vs. 2 teams of soldiers) I was looking forward to didn't make it in but I guess I'll have to wait till June 12th :lol: .

Woo it's finally up! Pretty fun so far, too bad it only came with 2 maps though. The small map kinda annoys me but Grozny Grad is just amazingly fun! The controls are a little odd but thats how MGS always was. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sigh, too bad the one gamemode (snake vs. 2 teams of soldiers) I was looking forward to didn't make it in but I guess I'll have to wait till June 12th :lol: .

Yup, G Grad is way better than the other one. I am enjoying it a lot. It will be nice to have it come with MGS4.

I officially suck pretty hard at online shooters, but the good news is that it's a good primer for the control changes in the actual game.

It is. Took a few rounds but the new controls for MG really are better. I can see the lie on your back and roll becoming very useful in the normal game.

Just tried the game Friday night. Fun, but a bit sluggish and really need some getting used to on the controls. Felt that it has too many options on disposal at first (just aiming has 3 modes, plus auto aiming too). The characters just run a bit slow, and the various camera speed is very slow even on 10. So you can't really take a good peek at the environment very quickly in 1st or 3rd person view, and always need to look around in the normal camera. Also find myself quite disoriented on what view to use in the heat of the battle, trying to aim good shots, then find the camera couldn't keep up with the running enemy...while being shot at too :p. Guess I should stick with auto aim until I get better with the basic controls. Oh, and some of the menus are pretty hard to read. Sometimes, the red/blue type is almost unreadable on certain screens.

So overall, good game, a bit sluggish on the game speed, and need a lot of practice before the controls become second nature. Might be too slow or complicated if you are too used to COD4's quick run and gun gameplay. But I can see the game will benefit a lot after playing the single player campaign. Then players will be more into the actual tactics, rather than struggling with the basics.

Edited by mpchi

New gamemode and map are available! The gamemode is Old Snake VS red team VS blue team. Snake has all his gear like octocammo and the solid eye and has to run around getting dogtags from the 2 teams. Its pretty fun and as Snake it's fairly hard to get the 3 dogtags to win (when you die all the tags you got go away). The map is ok, its in a bombed out city with plenty of cover all around. It's sniper heaven as there are plenty of houses to go inside and hide. It's ok.... better than bloodbath but not as good as grozny grad.

I actually liked it better than Grozny Grad, though it does seem to be more of a sniper level than anything else. Just something fun about picking snipers off the roof's of buildings right when they get positioned. And after 3 days, I final raised my sniping skill to level 2...