Can we somehow limit how much can be quoted?

OMFG!  That's horrible!  BURN HIM!  BUUUUUURN HIM!

H

344757[/snapback]

Yeah, quoting such a large image is downright stupid, not to mention inconsiderate to those who are on a dial-up connection. The smartest thing to do in a situation like this is to quote the URL of the image instead of the image itself. At least that gives 56K people the option to not download the image if their connection is slow.

All that is true. I'm just not sure why you felt that you needed to publicly embarrass JBO (who agreed with your stance on quoting, incidentally).

The point about quoting images has been made. But going after individual members for one ill-advised quote seems silly to me. Maybe a PM or a polite post in the affected thread requesting that the person edit their post would be less bellicose?

H

P.S. I don't mind publicly embarrassing people when they clearly deserve it. ;) But, for quoting a large image once? Seems a bit odd. . . :unsure:

My POV on picture quotes is A. don't quote large pics, and B. keep all the pic quoting to a single page(if it's on the same page, it doesn't take anyone's bandwidth for the extra images).

325920[/snapback]

Can somebody say, "hypocrite" around here? How do you explain your quoting of Roy's Blues' image of his Motoko figures (1524 x 2032 and nearly 800KB in size) on page 4 of the "Show off your coolest non-Macross toys & models" thread, when the pic was posted on page 1?

344751[/snapback]

Was on the same page for me.

It was, however, admittedly stupid.

The issue is nested quotes. IPB already has a limitation on quotes (actually, it's a bug...). You cannot have more than 10 quotes in any given post, period.

This isn't an issue of can we limit quotes via software, it's can we enforce a policy of making people clean up their posts so that they stop filling their posts with quotes.

I'm guessing this is what the original poster wanted to stop:

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

The only solution is common sense. Most quoted posts have that little tiny button in the quote box called "snapback". Instead of quote after quote after quote, you could just quote the last individual and leave the snapback button in place. Again, the issue is common sense. This really isn't something we can enforce because it is a common sense issue. If you lack common sense, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting. <_<

This isn't a mod or admin issue. It's the users themselves who are abusing things. Posting large pics (i.e. greater than 1024x768 or 800x600, depending on your resolution); posting pics directly from other sites without attaching or hosting them yourself (i.e. bandwidth stealing); quoting large pieces of text with only a small reply, etc....Unless you want the mods to clamp down on this... ;):(

330703[/snapback]

Here is a perfect example. In my previous post, all I wanted to do was reply in regards to the one single sentence.

In this, much more annoying reply, I quoted your entire post along with all of the quotes that you put in it only make a point about the same senetence.

330806[/snapback]

Its the best I can do with this thread.

The issue is nested quotes. IPB already has a limitation on quotes (actually, it's a bug...). You cannot have more than 10 quotes in any given post, period.

This isn't an issue of can we limit quotes via software, it's can we enforce a policy of making people clean up their posts so that they stop filling their posts with quotes.

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

The only solution is common sense. Most quoted posts have that little tiny button in the quote box called "snapback". Instead of quote after quote after quote, you could just quote the last individual and leave the snapback button in place. Again, the issue is common sense. This really isn't something we can enforce because it is a common sense issue. If you lack common sense, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting. <_<

This isn't a mod or admin issue. It's the users themselves who are abusing things. Posting large pics (i.e. greater than 1024x768 or 800x600, depending on your resolution); posting pics directly from other sites without attaching or hosting them yourself (i.e. bandwidth stealing); quoting large pieces of text with only a small reply, etc....Unless you want the mods to clamp down on this... ;):(

330703[/snapback]

Here is a perfect example. In my previous post, all I wanted to do was reply in regards to the one single sentence.

In this, much more annoying reply, I quoted your entire post along with all of the quotes that you put in it only make a point about the same senetence.

330806[/snapback]

344868[/snapback]

Try again, my son.

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

330703[/snapback]

330806[/snapback]

344868[/snapback]

Try again, my son.

344899[/snapback]

This thread is about to become delicious.

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

330703[/snapback]

330806[/snapback]

344868[/snapback]

Try again, my son.

344899[/snapback]

345279[/snapback]

Good try, but I don't think that's your best.

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

330703[/snapback]

330806[/snapback]

344868[/snapback]

Try again, my son.

344899[/snapback]

345279[/snapback]

345311[/snapback]

This thread hurts my eyes.

Yes

No

Yes...

330703[/snapback]

330806[/snapback]

344868[/snapback]

Try again, my son.

344899[/snapback]

345279[/snapback]

345311[/snapback]

This thread hurts my eyes.

345325[/snapback]

Its 'cause of this quoting thing... I blame society.

No.  I turned off embedding more then one quote.  That pyramid quoting was getting annoying.

345356[/snapback]

Wow, I guess this thread has served its purose.

I think it might still work

It sure does!

I don't know. I just embedded two.

Cool. I'm glad it still works. Functionality shouldn't be taken away from the many because a couple people abuse it.

Edited by Hurin

I think it might still work

It sure does!

I don't know. I just embedded two.

Cool. I'm glad it still works. Functionality shouldn't be taken away from the many because a couple people abuse it.

345367[/snapback]

Other than the joking around in this thread, I never really saw it as a problem.

345360[/snapback]

Yeah. I'm hungry. I need dinner. Screw you guys I'm going for food.

Well...I guess that board function...isn't quite as advertised. Useful if used properly though. Let's go see what other board functions I can use to annoy Hurin.

345360[/snapback]

Well...I guess that board function...isn't quite as advertised. Useful if used properly though. Let's go see what other board functions I can use to annoy Hurin.

345374[/snapback]

Don't eat yellow snow!

345360[/snapback]

345374[/snapback]

Don't eat yellow snow!

345390[/snapback]

Frank Zappa - Don't Eat The Yellow Snow Lyrics

Dreamed I was an Eskimo

(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)

Frozen wind began to blow

Under my boots 'n around my toe

Frost had bit the ground below

(Boop-boop aiee-ay-ah!)

Was a hundred degrees below zero

(Booh!)

And my momma cried:

Boo-a-hoo hoo-ooo

And my momma cried:

Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . )

Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . )

Don't be a naughty Eskimo-wo-oh

Save your money: don't go to the show

Well I turned around an' I said:

HO HO

(Booh!)

HO HO

(Booh!)

HO HO

An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow

An' she said

(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop . . . )

With a tear in her eye:

WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO

AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO

AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Can somebody please clean up the WTF is this? thread? We really don't need to see that Rick Hunter doll pic X number of times while searching for an answer to unidentified Macross-related products.

369865[/snapback]

Meh. I had quoted the image in question here again. But I see AgentONE is already on the case (though, as usual, going over the top with it).

I think we may have some OCD going on here. . .

H

Edited by Hurin

Can somebody please clean up the WTF is this? thread? We really don't need to see that Rick Hunter doll pic X number of times while searching for an answer to unidentified Macross-related products.

369865[/snapback]

... I see AgentONE is already on the case (though, as usual, going over the top with it).

H

369880[/snapback]

Thats the A1 way to do things:

The Right way to handle things (usually also known as the Pussy's way)

The Wrong way to handle things

And the Agent ONE way of handling things.

Here is an example:

A guy insults you in mixed company, what do you do?

The right thing to do would to just shrug it off and just take it. The wrong thing to do would be to punch him in the face, this IS tempting but you end up looking like a dick. The Agent ONE way would be to start maniacally laughing so hard that people forget the insult all together, and wonder what the hell is wrong with you, then get really close to the guy and keep the crazy laugh up. Just when he is wondering what the hell you are going to do, lick his forehead, once he reels back in horror, tell him you fuct his girlfriend in the ass (he doesn't even need to have a girlfriend for this to work). Lemme tell you, if you do this right, nobody will remember a thing about the night except for that.

The right thing to do would to just shrug it off and just take it. The wrong thing to do would be to punch him in the face, this IS tempting but you end up looking like a dick. The Agent ONE way would be to start maniacally laughing so hard that people forget the insult all together, and wonder what the hell is wrong with you, then get really close to the guy and keep the crazy laugh up. Just when he is wondering what the hell you are going to do, lick his forehead, once he reels back in horror, tell him you fuct his girlfriend in the ass (he doesn't even need to have a girlfriend for this to work). Lemme tell you, if you do this right, nobody will remember a thing about the night except for that.

369899[/snapback]

Heard it.

369899[/snapback]

Heard it.

369928[/snapback]

You really want me don't you..

Agent, for the love of frickin hell dude PLEASE stop it with the Rick Hunter picture shtick already. I get what you are trying to do and ha ha it's funny but if I have to see that thing one more time I'm going to go kick someone's dog.

369943[/snapback]

I am just quoting people, what the hell!?

Agent, for the love of frickin hell dude PLEASE stop it with the Rick Hunter picture shtick already. I get what you are trying to do and ha ha it's funny but if I have to see that thing one more time I'm going to go kick someone's dog.

369943[/snapback]

369967[/snapback]

It's because you're replying in the wrong thread. :p

369943[/snapback]

369967[/snapback]

369971[/snapback]

robotech-rickhunter.JPG

I never thought they would have made this.

342687[/snapback]

OMG it's Ken disguised as Hikaru, the Barbie universe is invading the Macross Universe. :p

360260[/snapback]

I just don't see the problem

A1 is the Magneto to my Professor X. While I believe in the right way of doing things, I don't consider it the "pussy's way". Does the end justify the means?

Plus I look really cool in a wheel chair and I get all the best parking spots. TAKE THAT MUSCLE MAN!!! :ph34r:

369943[/snapback]

369967[/snapback]

369971[/snapback]

robotech-rickhunter.JPG

I never thought they would have made this.

342687[/snapback]

OMG it's Ken disguised as Hikaru, the Barbie universe is invading the Macross Universe. :p

360260[/snapback]

I just don't see the problem

369977[/snapback]

Why am I always the bad guy?

Do you suppose Professor X's penis still works?

370457[/snapback]

I'm going to say no. There's just something about that giant, round Cerebro helmet that screams 'compensation."

370495[/snapback]

It's not compensation... it's for "protection".