Have a question:

jorawar_b

Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone on MW have ever used the fiber optics on any of their kits?

I know how it works but can someone please help me in detail on how would you make it work on anyone of the 1/72 kits. What type of powers ource would you use and how can you make it in different colors?

I am sorry if i sound stupid, but I ran accross one of those star trek kits with the fiber optics but no power source.

The startrek kits usually use 3 C cell batteries installed in the stand. A valk is too small to use fiber optics in anywhere except the cockpit for small panel lights. You would want to install blue LEDs in the engines and thats a whole other setup. Ask some of the guys in the Star Trek forums at Starship Modeler and they can tell you all you would want to know.

I know nothing about the kits but fibre optics are a snap. It's basically just a strand of optical cable. You can route it just like tv cable. Shine a light in one end and out it comes at the other. Shine a colored light in one end and out it comes in that color at the far end. You can use small LEDs in a compartment or even a mini mag light bulb with filters for color. On light source in a centralized location can illuminate a whole lot of fibre optic line. You can also use button celss [aka watch batteries] to minimize space requirements but they will not last near as long so make sure it's easy to swap batteries.

hope that helps.

I think it will be cool when a model kit is lighted.

Optic is a strand of flexible glass basically, any light source will work. The most compact setup I can think of is use a low power LED as the source. Only problem is optic transmits light down the length of the strand, light only comes out at the end and not the side(or very little). It works great on scale windows or dots, jet engine I don't know. For lighting jet engine and such, I'd use light sheets.

The best thing to do is use an LED and with that you can use tiny batteries. I've stuck stuff inside tiny areas the size of a quarter before. Make sure you wrap your light source with foil to keep stray light from shining through the plastic!

i'm using leds, fiber optics+leds and bulbs on my schratchs ...

for the fiber, i'm making a "light box" with aluminium cheets inside (from my kitchen). and i'm making as many wholes as colors needed .. then i'm using professional color filter (not affected by heat) beneath the light and the fiber. you can also directly paint the end of the fiber with a transparent color (i'm using humbrol for exemple)

Edited by isamu_dyson

There was some pics on the old forums from a bloke that was suing fibre optic to light a Vf-1 Super. He had lights in the wintips, cockpit, those lights on the leading edge of the wings, and red lights in the fast packs.

Anyone got those?

Berttt

the kit parts where you would put fiber optics are solid resin. It would be highly difficult to route any lighting system through it. If you want to try it i wish you luck and really look forward to seeing it biggrin.gif

I've seen resin kits where solid parts have had channels dremeled out into which the Fiber- Optic cable has been layed and then puttied over and sanded smooth. Couldn't tell from looking that it had been done. Although this is not a technique I would recomend to begginers!

ERTL used to sell a cheap one that used christmas tree type lights but those burn out really quick. If you want something that will last a while youll need one that uses LEDs since they take forever to burn out. That means youll have to custom string the lights. The best source i have seen are those retro desk ornaments they sell at spencers and they are about 20 dollars cheaper than the ertl kit.

Michael's craft stores sell a pre wired bundle of fiber optics for $6 in thier floral department. I personaly wouldn't use the light that's in the kit but you can't beat that price for the bundle. I would also check out the dollar stores for lighting stuff. You would be shocked to see what is available.

LED's are also the best option because they don't create a significant amount of heat, which is a major concern in the small confines of a model kit. Any other of the small bulbs that I've come accross have been too hot (when left on for a couple of minutes) for me to consider using in a model. Led's and Light Sheet are pretty much it for me.