1/48 VF-1S Hikaru

aaajin

yeah, don't forget and keep in mind, sometimes the production crew and directors will use very little colors as much as they can when the opportunity presents itself.

isn't all this covered in Miyatake Kazutaka Macross & Orguss Design Works or Valkyries: Tenjin Hidetaka Art Works of Macross?

bah, i don't know what i'm talking about.

Hey, are they supposed to be filming DYRL in the scenes where they're making a movie in Mac7? If so then wouldn't that mean the Mac7 heatshield shown for both characters (red and blue respectively) is what's actually supposed to be in DYRL? Arguments over animation quality aside shouldn't we go with whatever was done more recently as the crew has had time to look back and think about these things (although this is admittedly a teeny detail)? I dunno, definitely doesn't seem like anything worth getting heated over... it looks like this is one of those "everybody is right" situations.

PS - Focker woulda looked horrible with a yellow heat shield.

Well since I pointed out that max had a black heatshield, I guess I should chime in here.

Yes Roy's is shown as yellow, and yes Hikaru's changes colors. But not in one scene is Max's shield any other color other then black.

And yes there are animation errors all over the place in DYRL. But if you can't use the show that the valks appeared in even somewhat as canon, what the hell can you use? Novels?

Even though Max was shown in the movie with blue colors I think they were pink. Nevermind that it was never pink, and it was always shown as blue, but that might have been an error, therefore I think it's suppose to be pink.

Sort of the same thing eh?

And you can't go off of what other companies do. Bandai released the strike valk with a black heatshield. (and yes I know there is the mystery "sold separately" red shield that was suppose to take it's place, but I have looked closely at the package pics and see no bandai logo anywhere on it) There is an animation at the beginning of Macross Anniversary disk that shows Hikaru's as black.

When Hasegawa showed off their Battroid model kits at a show (it was a while ago when they were first released) they had painted Roy's as yellow

So just because some company puts it out, shows it, etc. That still doesn't mean it's right since everyone is all over the place as to what the true heatshield colors are.

Edited by Rabidweezil

PS - Focker woulda looked horrible with a yellow heat shield.

322756[/snapback]

I heard that! I happen to think that the black HS looks good on ANY of the Skull 001's shown in DYRL? It would've been nice if the animators took this concept to heart and stuck with it :) .

Here's my logic on the issue.

The valks of this squadron have 2 stripes on the chest, one consistant black and the other another color.

We see clearly that the majority of the time (majority because of the brief "yellow" incident) that Roy's heatshield is black, which matches the black stripe.

Hikaru and Max are red and blue, which matches the second stripe. And I can't say based on the movie that Kakizaki's is green, because the shield is never shown. However it stands to reason that it would follow the same color patten of Hikaru and Max and be green just like the stripe.

The next VF-1S shown is Max. And, again, based on what is seen it is 100% of the time black.

So far, 2 VF-1S's both shown with black shields majority of the time.

The third is Hikaru. Now, his changes so it's impossible to logically say what his shield color should actually be. BUT since we have 2 instances where the VF-1S shield is clearly black majority of the time (Roy's and Max's). In my little organized world I feel I can safely say that Hikaru should be black as well.

Maybe that's not right. But looking at all the evidence it works for me.

I'm not saying I believe this. . . but for those who want to believe that Max's 1S heatshield is blue, you can explain away Roy's black one this way:

Roy's was black because it was black in the original TV series. The color schemes of the entire skull squadron was based on Roy's valkyrie from the TV series with the exception of the heat shield which takes on the color of the chest's inner/upper stripe as demonstrated by every Skull Squadron 1A and every close-up/detailed shot of Hikaru's 1S. However, they left Roy's black for the sake of continuity with the original show. But he is the only exception.

Or, to be more concise. It's black because he's f'ing Roy! And black is bad-ass.

Now, I don't necessarily buy into all that. I don't think Roy's heatshield needs an explanation because I think Max's 1S shield is probably black too based on the actual shots from the anime. But if I did want to take the other side, that's a logical argument that takes Roy's heatshield into account.

For those of us in the "Max 1S heatshield is black crowd," we don't need to explain Roy's heatshield. We need to explain Hikaru's 1S heatshield being pretty clearly red whenever it is shown close-up and in detail. For us, it is Hikaru that does not fit the logical pattern. As stated and demonstrated above, whenever it is close up, it is clearly red. It only appears black when seen from a distance in non-detail shots or when shadows could possibly account for it's "blackness." I would posit that this is done in order to make the skull more visible when it is smaller (distance shots) as it contrasts much better against black than red.

Edited by Hurin

Is anyone here familliar with the concept of the 'Hero' ship in Anime? I think this may explain why Hikaru's colour scheme is different from the other 1-s sqod. As he is the protaganist and the 'Hero' of the film his craft gets singled out with it's own colour scheme indicating that it and he is special. :unsure: What dy'a think?

Is anyone here familliar with the concept of the 'Hero' ship in  Anime? I think this may explain why Hikaru's colour scheme is different from the other 1-s sqod. As he is the protaganist and the 'Hero' of the film his craft gets singled out with it's own colour scheme indicating that it and he is special.  :unsure: What dy'a think?

322850[/snapback]

Honestly you...you probably just nailed the reason for the color changes right there.

Although, it all could be wakky animation mistakes.

-RF

I think it occured to many of us that Hikaru's might be red because he's the hero and that is his "signature color" in the movie. But, I didn't consided it a "hero ship" phenomenon. . . that phrase is new to me! :huh:

And, really, they all sorta have "hero ship" markings. Each character has his own color. I'm not sure if Hikaru retaining his heatshield coloration for his 1S really constitutes a dramatic method of setting his valkyrie apart from the others. Whereas, if I understand the term correctly, "hero ship" markings are usually less discrete.

H

I think it occured to many of us that Hikaru's might be red because he's the hero and that is his "signature color" in the movie.  But, I didn't consided it a "hero ship" phenomenon. . . that phrase is new to me!  :huh:

And, really, they all sorta have "hero ship" markings.  Each character has his own color.  I'm not sure if Hikaru retaining his heatshield coloration for his 1S really constitutes a dramatic method of setting his valkyrie apart from the others.  Whereas, if I understand the term correctly, "hero ship" markings are usually less discrete.

H

322895[/snapback]

Down with EVERYTHING!!

I think it occured to many of us that Hikaru's might be red because he's the hero and that is his "signature color" in the movie.  But, I didn't consided it a "hero ship" phenomenon. . . that phrase is new to me!  :huh:

And, really, they all sorta have "hero ship" markings.  Each character has his own color.  I'm not sure if Hikaru retaining his heatshield coloration for his 1S really constitutes a dramatic method of setting his valkyrie apart from the others.  Whereas, if I understand the term correctly, "hero ship" markings are usually less discrete.

H

322895[/snapback]

True dat, the "hero ship" phenomenon is seen in how all the main characters have valks that stand out from cannon fodder. The more it stands out from the flat brown the more heroic it is (blue, red, Jolly Roger). I think we're kinda stretching it an itty bit by incorporating what color the heat shield is also. Definitely an interesting thought though.

Ya know, maybe the paint on the heatshield burned or wore off fairly often and it was just painted whatever color was more readily available. Ya figure a few good transformations and an intense battle left it lookin' pretty banged up so the guys sprayed on a new coat real quick. "Hey, gimme some blue paint" "Sorry, only got black handy." "Well, gimme some black paint." See, everybody's right :)

And, really, they all sorta have "hero ship" markings. Each character has his own color. I'm not sure if Hikaru retaining his heatshield coloration for his 1S really constitutes a dramatic method of setting his valkyrie apart from the others.
I think we're kinda stretching it an itty bit by incorporating what color the heat shield is also. Definitely an interesting thought though.

Well the way I think of it is like this: there are the Brown (C.F.) valks on the bottom tier then there are the main character valks, in their various colours, on the second tier and then on the third tier we have Hikaru, whose valk is distinguished from the other mian charcter pilots by having a coloured heat shield.

Now this hypothesis does have some sticking points i.e Max' 1-A having a blue heat shield. And I think that the norm is to have the Hero-Ship traditionally distinguished with a special weapon as well as markings. But for me, for now, this idea works pretty well.

--That is unless one of you thinks about this colouration glitch Waaaayyyy more that I have (which isn't too hard) and pokes my hypothesis full of holes. :blink:

In the tv show max had blue valk because of his blue hair.

Milia had red. (because of her qrau and wanting to show off)

Roy had yellow stripe cause he's blonde.

Hikaru had black skull because of his hair.

Cannon Fodders are brown because they are sh!t pilots.

In macross 7 max and milia still have colours matching thier old tv series (see them in vf22s) and there are instance where based on the color of the character's hair the valk is painted to be that color. eg Mylene with pink valk.

Given that macross 7 is newer, can we say that a tv series is less correct than a movie just becaue of lower budget? (ie that mylene's valk should be pink, it was all a mistake cuz someone was on drugs when it was made? Both tv series and movie have mistakes, right?)

Nah. They just can't make up thier mind, methinks..

Then there are the flightsuits: the yellow stripe for kakizaki, black and grey flightsuit for roy...etc Those events were real weren't they? (that is the designs in DYRL only appeared in the movie to reanact the events in the earlier tv series like a documentary, but due not having access to older valks they used the current day ones with newer cockpit and such, which wouldn't have been canon to the 'real' event in the tv series. After all, kakizaki and roy didn't live past SW I did they? So the guys who made this documentary probably made up the colors from out of thier ass and like what happens in a hollywood movie, you see mistakes :D)

Trust neither..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker