Google is Watching Us!

Okay, this may fall under the category of "big whoop". . . but I thought it was cool/interesting/odd when I looked at the list of online users and saw "google.com" there.

I could be mistaken but, search engines have always been flakey about keeping track of discussion boards in the past. I wonder if this newer version of IPB (perhaps the inclusion of the lo-fi version) is more search engine/google friendly?

Anyways, it looks like google is indexing this forum now. Which, I guess might be a good thing!

google-mw.jpg

I had noticed that too, just thought it was some sort of error.

What exaclty does it mean...is google registered user? For what purpose?

319197[/snapback]

It isn't a registered user (not underlined in the list). But what's interesting is that it is somehow recognized as being google rather than just another "guest." So, I'm just guessing that either IPB is smart enough to recognize the presence of Google's standard "bot" or Google has created an "IPB bot" that catelogs/indexes IPB forums. But, I don't know much about Google, search engines, or the inner working of IPB (yet, but I'm thinking of installing it on my site). So, I'm just guessing here.

Pretty cool/interesting though. :)

H

I think it's because of the new google search bar at the top right of the forums.  Google probably has to have a bot running in order for the search bar to function.

319220[/snapback]

:blink:

:huh:

I think that's you dude. :)

Firefox has a google toolbar built-in by default in the upper-right. Is that what you're seeing?

H

No, I know the difference, between the menu bar and the search pane, give me some credit dude.

I have never used the built in IPB search function, so I assumed (like a git) that it was a google engine.

However, a ten second Google search seems to have proven us all wrong.

http://www.gmailforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t768.html

Google.com shows up whenever a guest comes from a google search

No, I know the difference, between the menu bar and the search pane, give me some credit dude.

I know that you know your sh*t. But we're all capable of a brain hiccups every now and then . I thought maybe you had your search bar "floating" or something strange like that.

Sorry about that. :unsure:

H

I know that you know your sh*t. But we're all capable of a brain hiccups every now and then . I thought maybe you had your search bar "floating" or something strange like that.

Sorry about that. :unsure:

H

319238[/snapback]

It's all good, don't worry. I wasn't bitching, I was flat out wrong... :lol:

Brain farts are a friend of mine, that's why I have a test lab at work. :rolleyes:

i already emailed Graham about this about a week ago he says its probably a spiderbot collecting info about the site, he said he would ask Shawn about it.

chris

You guys are really wondering what Google is doing here!!??  Google is the finder of all things awesome, and I am here... So there you have it.

319422[/snapback]

Actually: Google usually comes up with a boatload of crap, an it usually takes 100's

of pages before anything remotely worthwhile appears

so, carefull with those words A1 :p