Anyone else remember Newtype catalogs?

danth

Back in the early nineties around the time Macross II came out, I used to get black & white pamphlet-like catalogs in the mail from a store called Newtype (which I discovered through an ad in "Animag"). I believe the store was somewhere in California, and they sold all kinds of anime (or "japanimation" for us old folks) robot models and toys. The catalogs were standard sized paper, folded and stapled in the center like a booklet. The "cover" was a colored piece of paper and always had some cool mech design on it. This was pre-internet, and I think the catalog was made with a type-writer and copy machine, but I absolutely loved getting them. The few b&w pictures in the catalog were always a thrill. I think the first one I got had the VF-2J on the cover.

The only thing I ever got from that catalog was the release Mospeada VR-052 "Cyclone" for only $40. That thing was a treasure until my dumb-ass friend (who I told never to touch it) broke it on purpose. I just remembered, I actually called the guy who owned the store and asked him what "Super deformed" meant, because they had cheap transforming SD valks. He didn't speak fluent english, and he told me that SD meant "cute, like baby." If I could go back in time, I'd buy their whole stock of SD valks. *Sigh*

Any other totally random memories form the time that "japanimation" was still exotic and hard to find?

Nope, that retail store is long gone... it used to be a small hole in the wall on 9th & Judah in San Francisco. The owner was a guy named Jeffrey. You may know that guy better online now as "Hobbyfan."

Pretty sure you're referring to Newtype Model & Toys, which was a shop in San Francisco, IIRC. No idea if they're still around.

316046[/snapback]

The owner was a guy named Jeffrey. You may know that guy better online now as "Hobbyfan."

Jeffrey and Newtype are NOT Hobbyfan. Thay are in fact RX93 on Ebay now.

Newtype hobbies was put under by recast retailers. And the fact that they refused to sell online. I loved the catalogues too. But I ended up getting most of my models from Hobbylink Japan instead.

Cobywan,

Are you sure? I have seen Jeffrey with Newtype at AX; as well as received e-mails from him regarding "Hobbyfan" online orders? Hobbyfan is also located in the Bay Area.

I remember this guy because I used to frequent his store in SF.

The owner was a guy named Jeffrey. You may know that guy better online now as "Hobbyfan."

Jeffrey and Newtype are NOT Hobbyfan. Thay are in fact RX93 on Ebay now.

Newtype hobbies was put under by recast retailers. And the fact that they refused to sell online. I loved the catalogues too. But I ended up getting most of my models from Hobbylink Japan instead.

316151[/snapback]

I think that I still have a catalog or two laying around someplace. I walked by the storefront once in 96'. I ordered my first Gundam model and a VF-2SS from them.

Still wish I'd ordered the B-Club special for Bubblegum Crisis from them instead of paying $100 for it on E-Bay.............

(sigh)

I think that I still have a catalog or two laying around someplace. I walked by the storefront once in 96'. I ordered my first Gundam model and a VF-2SS from them.

316166[/snapback]

Hey...yeah, I think I got my VF-2SS from them too! I forgot about that. I still have that thing somewhere.

I'm glad some other people remember those catalogs.

Still have a catalog or two myself. There resin kit of the Beta/Tread and Alpha/Legioss was what lead me to them. They also had several of the 1:48 Club-M kits at GREAT prices considering they were event only kits.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Newtype formerly in SF had some great cels too. ANd while I agre J was crass, I could honestly relate with him. He had tons of people who were lookers but not serious buyers. It grates on your after a couple of years. Remember he was around before there were even stores handling models and cels in SF. One of the early dealers IMO and he had great connections before Rick.

Yup I remember him, he used to operate the store out of his basement way back in the 80's. Then he moved to a nicer actual store location near golden gate park.

The store was still there a few years back but I don't know if its gone now.

I don't know about hobbyfan but I know he is RX93 on ebay.

The old guy that used to work there was a FRIGGIN a-hole.

:angry:

316125[/snapback]

Roger that. Apathetic Friggin a-hole would be my characterization. Lots of cool stuff in that shop though.

The store is indeed no longer there. Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago. I wish I could go back in time with the money I have now - but don't we all?

Three best remaining anime/import goods stores left are all on Geary. Two near Geary & 19th and a few stores in Japantown.

i bought mib 1/55 superostrich from him in 1992 for $325.

The store was cool also. Sorry it is gone.

He was kinda an A-hole even in person but cool stuff.

316125[/snapback]

Roger that. Apathetic Friggin a-hole would be my characterization. Lots of cool stuff in that shop though.

The store is indeed no longer there. Last time I was there was probably 10 years ago. I wish I could go back in time with the money I have now - but don't we all?

Three best remaining anime/import goods stores left are all on Geary. Two near Geary & 19th and a few stores in Japantown.

316378[/snapback]

316125[/snapback]

I probably shouldn't touch this but... (famous last words, right?)

Anyways, I talked to him several times on the phone (never meet him in person) and I always found him very helpful. He provided the whole history of the NewType Legioss&Tread to me. How it was made from the same master as the MonoCraft kit etc. He was also very open about the 1:48 scale kits and how he got them. In short he seemed nice enough to me and I bought several kits from him and never had a problem there either. He does seem to have hit quite a few of you the wrong way though and I'm not sure why. If his shop was still open I'd probably ask you to PM me as I had sent several people his direction with regards to the Legioss&Tread kit and as far as I know none of them came back to me saying they had problems. With the store gone I guess it's a mute point.

Just wanted to say that,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww