Macross 7: Is it really that bad?

Continuing what Keith said, if you want more of the back story of Macross, then it's a great series.  Not only does it cover the Protoculture, but it covers more of the Zentraedi & Meltrandi, and has tons of future character development of Max and Millia.  Not to mention, continuing the Macross timeline, so you get to see what's going on in the Macross universe 40 years in the future.

315099[/snapback]

So does Macross 7 (and Macross Plus) follow DYRL? or SDF-Macross? Because I don't recall any mention of the Meltrandi in the Macross tv show, but from the summaries I've read of DYRL? they're there.

Continuing what Keith said, if you want more of the back story of Macross, then it's a great series.  Not only does it cover the Protoculture, but it covers more of the Zentraedi & Meltrandi, and has tons of future character development of Max and Millia.  Not to mention, continuing the Macross timeline, so you get to see what's going on in the Macross universe 40 years in the future.

315099[/snapback]

So does Macross 7 (and Macross Plus) follow DYRL? or SDF-Macross? Because I don't recall any mention of the Meltrandi in the Macross tv show, but from the summaries I've read of DYRL? they're there.

315226[/snapback]

They follow the SDFMacross timeline.

The DYRL timeline was abandonded and made into a "movie within a movie" in Macross7. Like the people in Macross7 had DYRL as a movie within their universe. This was dreamed up when M7 came out, 9 years after DYRL came out in theaters. My personal opinion is (and I am always right), Kawamori saw how weak M7 was going to turn out, maybe because he hired transvestite writers or something, but it was a way to tie something that was already considered great to something that needed some serious help.

I feel this move slightly tainted the good name of DYRL by affiliating it with that seaaming pile of sissy crap, M7.

Look at it this way, no matter how much sugar you pour on turd, it ain't going to be delicious to eat... EVER!

So does Macross 7 (and Macross Plus) follow DYRL? or SDF-Macross?  Because I don't recall any mention of the Meltrandi in the Macross tv show, but from the summaries I've read of DYRL? they're there.

The DYRL timeline was abandonded and made into a "movie within a movie" in Macross7. Like the people in Macross7 had DYRL as a movie within their universe. This was dreamed up when M7 came out, 9 years after DYRL came out in theaters. My personal opinion is (and I am always right), Kawamori saw how weak M7 was going to turn out, maybe because he hired transvestite writers or something, but it was a way to tie something that was already considered great to something that needed some serious help.

Or from a more realistic point of view...

Kawamori realized he had two fundamentaly diffrent and wholely incompatible versions of Space War 1, and that if he wanted a coherent continuity he had to sit down and pick one as the "real" version of events.

He went with the longer and more detailed version, as it provided a sturdier foundation for future works.

But rather than abandoning DYRL totally, he decided to cast it as a movie created within the Macross continuity.

Also note that by coninuity, DYRL was not filmed on the Macross 7. It was released several years before the Mac7 was even launched.

And finally, though I think some people still disagree, the formula goes like this:

Where plot and story are concerned: SDF Macross (TV) is considered canonical.

Where mecha, equipment, uniforms, and character design are concerned: DYRL is considered canonical.

So, just picture the TV series with the cooler looking uniforms and mecha. That's supposedly the canon.

H

So does Macross 7 (and Macross Plus) follow DYRL? or SDF-Macross?  Because I don't recall any mention of the Meltrandi in the Macross tv show, but from the summaries I've read of DYRL? they're there.

Kawamori realized he had two fundamentaly diffrent and wholely incompatible versions of Space War 1, and that if he wanted a coherent continuity he had to sit down and pick one as the "real" version of events.

He went with the longer and more detailed version, as it provided a sturdier foundation for future works.

But rather than abandoning DYRL totally, he decided to cast it as a movie created within the Macross continuity.

Also note that by coninuity, DYRL was not filmed on the Macross 7. It was released several years before the Mac7 was even launched.

315250[/snapback]

Yeah thats right, because it was made in 84, by real people... 9 years BEFORE they decided to glue it to the M7 sissy parade.

I never really cared much for 7. Only thing that appealed to me was Max and Millia in their VF-22S and the Varuta VFs. The sound force VFs was like some Macross version of G Gundam, and Bassara was a total @a-hole towards anyone who didn't agree with him. In fact he's the most hypocritical character I've seen in Macross, he acts just like the UN Spacy he likes to shun.

... Bassara was a total @a-hole towards anyone who didn't agree with him...

315260[/snapback]

Very much like M7 fans.

315264[/snapback]

Who's calling that kettle black? :rolleyes:

315267[/snapback]

I am not an a55hole to anybody... I just let my opinion be known.

And we, like you Agent One are doing the same...

Macross 7 at times sucked, and at times it got good. I wouldn't go as far to say it was G-gundam though, that was pretty harsh. I still don't get the total anger against it though there is alot worse in the way of anime out there.

Rob :ph34r:

So this was where you guys were hanging out today...

Reply to the original poster-

Ask yourself these questions before you watch M7:

1. Do you like J-Pop/J-Rock?

2. Do you like mecha with faces?

3. Do you prefer repetitive singing over fighting?

4. Do you prefer your heroes fighting giant space monsters (not aliens but monsters)?

I could go on but if you answered yes to these four questions, there's a good chance that you'll be able to stomach some of the worst parts of M7.

315250[/snapback]

Yeah thats right, because it was made in 84, by real people... 9 years BEFORE they decided to glue it to the M7 sissy parade.

315258[/snapback]

Yes, it was.

And then Kawamori tried to retire the license, but Big West wouldn't let it die.

So he came back to do more entries in the series.

But he needed a firm foundation for the new entries. That foundation couldn't be provided by two competing versions of events.

Macross Seven may have been the show that announced DYRL was a movie within the Macross universe, but the change was important for Plus and Zero, along with the other non-animation productions.