Macross II "Lovers Again"

Agent-GHQ

That's an awesome cover of the VF-2SS!! As much as I like the original VF-1, the VF-2SS if far more impressive and sleek. Not to mention, its entirely new body too. Yeah, I love that gun too. I think it had two. the main one and the secondary which came off the leg or something?? Vey sick ass mecha!! To bad there's no toy of it like the 1/55 and the 1/48 Yamato. But as far the the anime goes, its a thumbs down. The story line and plot did not go hand in hand.

Now that's a kool pic of the VF-2SS!! Can somebody tell me why this wasn't as popular or as big as the other macross like the Macross plus or Macross zero. I mean besides the fact that the Macross II anime sucked, at least the VF-2SS has the sleek and fancy design. I just think they could of make a toy of it.

I actually didn't care much for the mecha designs in Macross II. The Zentraedi Valk was kinda cool, but the VF-2JA looked like a slightly upgraded VF-1, and the VF-2SS looked like a sleeker VF-1. It bothered me that in the Mac II universe, 80 years after Space War 1, the best they came up with was upgraded VF-1s, while a mere 20 years in the main continuity has Guld flying the YF-21.

I actually didn't care much for the mecha designs in Macross II. The Zentraedi Valk was kinda cool, but the VF-2JA looked like a slightly upgraded VF-1, and the VF-2SS looked like a sleeker VF-1. It bothered me that in the Mac II universe, 80 years after Space War 1, the best they came up with was upgraded VF-1s, while a mere 20 years in the main continuity has Guld flying the YF-21.

Well MII was canon for a while.... Food for thought.

I actually enjoyed the music from Macross II. However, the plot and character development left me feeling

Unsatisfied and empty. The mecha was ok, but there simply weren’t enough battles for me to appreciate the enemy designs or the newer VF.

After the first few OVAs I didn’t empathize with any of the characters and only liked Ishtar since she was nice eye candy and slightly interesting. She looked better IMO in long hair but whatever. The entire love triangle, boring and the use of the commander was wrong , it just seemed uncreative and weak.

As many people are probably aware by now Mikimoto was adamantly against participating on this project. However, he was pressured into it and well, the passion and quality of his work or lack thereof, shows in his character designs. :(

As many people are probably aware by now Mikimoto was adamantly against participating on this project. However, he was pressured into it and well, the passion and quality of his work or lack thereof, shows in his character designs. :(

I dunno..... The blond Pilot girl and her co-horts were UBER CUTE! Ishtar's rather beautiful as well... I always felt that MacII had great char designs.

Speaking of Mr Mikimoto, has he done anything recently? Aside from Macross, Orguss, and that comic he did in NewType... I can't think of any of his other works!

You don't even have to go that far, 2012 saw the VF-4 Lightning III, and that was even produced before MII.

Everybody has their favorites. I think we all admire the mecha designs in the macross universe. Some of the characters grab one fan or another. Macross Plus seems be most people's fave but I don't find the storyline makes much sense. I think they are dazzled by the animation and don't think to ask "Is losing your job enough motivation to steal a protoype fighter and destroy a city?"

I'd place MacII above Macross7 and maybe MacZero in terms of plot and story telling.

Everybody has their favorites. I think we all admire the mecha designs in the macross universe. Some of the characters grab one fan or another. Macross Plus seems be most people's fave but I don't find the storyline makes much sense. I think they are dazzled by the animation and don't think to ask "Is losing your job enough motivation to steal a protoype fighter and destroy a city?"

Isamu had issues to start with.

Besides, from his point of view he was at rock bottom.

Lost his job, his girlfriend, didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to Myung.

What'd he have to lose by blowing the crap out of the Ghost?

Makes a strong political statement, and he might even catch part of Sharon/Myung's concert before they cuffed him and hauled him away.

Having said that, Mac+ isn't the deepest entry in the series.

Edited by JB0

The thing that I like the most about macross plus was it wasent an big epic war but a small story about two test pilots that just feels epic. Also M+ is the only Macross series where I really felt like they were flying something special. You get a great sense of flight that the other Macross stuff doesnt have.

And I thought Macross II had great character designs, but poor animation. Ishtar and Silvia looked great, thou Ishtar did look way better with longer hair! MII would have been 100 times better if Silvia was the main character and CNN boy was just the background love interst.

I finally got around to watchin Macross Zero..... and compared to the other series.... its not that bad..... i liked it almost better than Macross plus... the 3D animation was something i've never seen before on macross mechas so it was extremely exciting to see all that VF-0 action.... plus, i'd be highly interested if they ever did release some stuff from Macross Zero.... the VF-0 looks sweet and so do the Anti-UN fighters... i don't know what they're called.. anyone know???

Doesn't the VF-0 kinda look like the VF-2SS?? minus all the armor and the different cannons.... just my opinion

Doesn't the VF-0 kinda look like the VF-2SS?? minus all the armor and the different cannons.... just my opinion

Maybe it's Kawamori's revenge on those guys for trying turn his masterpiece into a crapper so therefore he takes some elements from the VF-2SS and adds them to the VF-0.

Dunno bout saying Mac-Plus wasn't deep... the plot was actually pretty touching from an emotional/psychological point of view. Isamu & Myung, both love Guld as a friend, but have to lie to themselves about what really happened so that he can be spared the pain of knowing the terrible thing that he did.

It might be a touch melodramatic. However, it's much deeper than "technology is bad because island girls are hot" or "Pop songs turn crazed giant murderers into cool sweet hearted dudes!"

It was also FAR more visually pleasing (aside from the mecha scenes). Those scenes up on bird-hill were gorgeously drawn. Hell, all of the alien faurna and plant-life on Eden was gorgeously drawn and conceived. I still listen to the sound-track 10 years later and think that Yoko Kanno is fantastic.

Mac+ had a helluva lot of imagine running behind it. It smashes Mac-Zero and Mac-II into dust when it comes to over-all production value.