Seraphim

TenScaryMonkeys

Aloha, folks.

It's not Macross, but I'm proud of it, so I figured I'd share. The idea of a harp-playing robot was the impetus here, not the angelic angle, but it only seemed appropriate that a robotic harpist should also get some wings. My original plan for white and grey armour seemed a tad cliche, so we went with red instead.

The wings, though, were my best little bit of inspiration. I was gonna draw the feathers individually, until it turned out that I was too goddam lazy to do so. Instead, I scanned a hawk feather I found outside, replicated the bejeezus out of it, and slapped 'em in there. I love the color of the feathers, and never would have thought to go that route had I done them manually. Oh, Nature, in all of her beauty....

Comments, criticisms, and recipes for summertime treats are welcome.

Enjoy.

post-5-1118611588_thumb.jpg

This reminds me so much of 1970's style science fiction artwork, particularly what one would see in stuff like Heavy Metal. The shapes, the nature of the peice itself, the colors...it's very much like going back in time. Very well done!

Right on Mr. March and Knight. I can totally see something like this gracing the cover for a Tenacious D album.

The figure itself seems pretty badass but the harp....is there any way you can make the harp look badass as well?

Or am I asking for the impossible? :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The head's actually simple and clean on purpose. Too much detail on the noggin would've sort of melted it into the body. I wanted it to catch your eye as a focal point, hence the lack of extra paneling (plus, most of the clutter I planned would have been on the faceplate, which is tragically hidden by the shoulder). I was afraid more linework would've distracted from the eyeslit, which is supposed to grab your attention. Whether or not it works is an entirely different matter.

I may be missing something here, but doesn't it look like it only has one wing?

You are exactly right about the missing wing. Good catch. Tried a number of different ways to get the second wing in there, but it kept throwing off the flow of the piece (I'm OCD like that). The end result was a big ol' "screw it", and the second wing was omitted. We'll just pretend that due to some quirk of perspective, it's hidden behind the first wing. Don't tell anyone.

• 2 weeks later...