First time

jorawar_b

All in all I'd say it looks good (pics are a litttle small so kind of hard to see details but overall impression is good.)

The one problem I've always had with weathering mecha that are variable (regardless of if the model is variable) is trying to figure out what the wear patterns would be, given how the thing transforms, i.e. which parts rub against which? And also the weathering pattern would probably look inconsistant in the different modes. What I mean here is (using your Tread as an example) when it is in it's aircraft mode some of the weathering may be in a direction which differs from the direction of flight because some weathering takes place in the robot form in-which the various panels are in a different alignment and configuration (i.e. what was once horizontal is now vertical etc)

Anyway none of that is realy relevent just something that's kinda puzzeled me for a while.

If you could post some bigger pics it might be easier to get some constructive critique, and some ideas of what to work on for your next model. But all in all I'd say well done. (but I'm no expert! LOL :lol: )

Charles.

(edit=Typo)

Edited by Chas

I'm also no expert (at all, in any capacity) but I would say there are some areas that look like they could use paneling. Paneling seems to be a good way to then judge how your weathering should look. I agree with Chas, we need close-ups!

Edit: On second thought, maybe paneling would look horrible since there isn't much detail.

Edited by jenius

Thanks for the input guys, I have always wanted to master the weathering look, I will try to get some close ups, what is paneling?

I tried to figure out what would patterns would look good in what mode, but at some point I got confused. I am still at the point were I can strip the paint and start all over again, can you guys post some pictures of paneling, thanks for the help.

The Tread is my favorite mecha, next to the AJAC.

panel lining is simply a process by which the lines on the model, which represent the recessed point where different panels come together on the 'real full-sized' item the model represents, are darkened in order to set them off from the rasied flat surface which forms the 'skin' of the vehicle. This is done because in 'real-life' these recessed grooves would tend to collect dirt, grease and what have you and thus be darker in appearence.

There are various techniques for achieving this. In fact there have been a number of threads recently about this very question - namely how to do panel lining - plus it is a very talked about topic in the scale modelling world. For a good place to start try cheking out the Tools'n'Tips section at www.aircraftresourcecenter.com here http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

I have a Alpha/Beta kit for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5980872605&rd=1

I have a total of 4 1/72 alpha/beta kits, this is the one I don't need. The Tread was very hard to find and it thank the person who sold it to me, this is my favorite mecha.

I am going to strip it tonight and re paint it, I bought a set of tamiya paints.

Why are you going to do that? it looks fine the way it is. You don't need to strip it in order to do the lanel lines. Just put a sealer over top of the paint ( a clear coat like future or something) and then try using an oil or acrylic panel lining technique then when your satisfied another clear coat to seal the lines and then a dull coat if you want a matte finish. I don't see why you would strip it and repaint. what is it you are unhappy with?

I bought this tamiya paint, it is the perfect light blue, the paint I used on the kit was a testors, so it has a little gloss on it, but the tamiya is so perfect and flat, I used it on my alpha/beta kit and it came out perfect. The Tamiya paint has always been perfect for me, the other reason is that I can apply a single coat and still get more detail.

Chas, you have made me see that this kit can be a lot better so for that I thank you so much, I am begining to see what you mean about the panel's and lines, I want to do it over again and then bring it back to you, this time with closer pic's

I will add a picture of the Tread in fighter mode later tonight.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has responded so far.

The Tread is my favorite mecha, next to the AJAC.

You have GREAT taste my friend. The Tread is my favorite mecha too. I must ask... (and I'm sure this is a studip question) what is an AJAC?

There is only one vehicle that trumps the Tread in my opinion and that is the Land Master from the movie "Damnation Alley". Now WHY has no one EVER made a kit of that?

Carl

I have a Alpha/Beta kit for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5980872605&rd=1

I have a total of 4 1/72 alpha/beta kits, this is the one I don't need.  The Tread was very hard to find and it thank the person who sold it to me, this is my favorite mecha.

I am going to strip it tonight and re paint it, I bought a set of tamiya paints.

Cool... One question/comment though. The New Type hobbies tread was manufactured by a store (which I think is now closed) out in California. I find it just a little odd that you can trace it back to Japan. However I'm sure some of them did make it over there. My first thought after reading that it was from Japan was that you might of had a Monocraft kit. They were made in Japan. However looking at your directions I'd say you've got the New Type kit. Could you post a picture of your box?

A little history if anyone is interested. The owner of New Type Hobbies and Toys bought the master Monocraft used to make their kit. It was in rough shape so he fixed it up a bit and added the ability to build the Tread as a stand alone kit. However he never licensed the kit. I've talked to him and his claim is that he used the same license Monocraft had. However Monocraft's license was only good in Japan and New Type sold them here in the states. Also you never see the sticker on the New Type kits that are on the Monocraft kits. The improvements New Type made make theirs a better kit in my opinion however if you get right down to it, its a recast of the Monocraft kit. Atleast it used the same master.

Just a little info,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Thanks for the info Carl!

You are welcome...

It's been a while since I don't check the model section ;)

That's not the model section... that's Carl's corner.

Do you have any info of this kit?

I think that's the RETPPU kit seen here.

mospeada.JPG

That picture you posted has been around a while and I think its too old to be any of the other EAGER kits I'm aware of. There was one other EAGER kit available here in the states which I think wasn't licensed however I never got one while they were available. It's the last kit listed here:

http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/Resea...ada/Models.html

Anyone know if Hot Goblin Modeling Garage Kit is still around in some form?

Oh... and something else I should point out.

See the "Lark Garage Kit" of the 1/100 Legioss and Tread? That IS the MonoCraft kit. I've seen it elsewhere called the MonoCraft/Lark kit. The 1/100 scaling info is wrong. That came from a typo in the same magazine that picture of the kit was grabbed from. Note the Lark kit is listed at 5800 yen. Check out the price of the MonoCraft kit (lower left corner).

02bside1.jpg

Carl

post-3-1077484907_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

Carl,

Its been a while since I talked to you, last time you showed me one of these kits on ebay japan, I was trying to get a hold of you when I bought this 1/72 kit, but I lost your e-mail.

By the way everyone, carl is one of the coolest people on this forum.

Anyways, I was so happy that I bought this kit, I felt like I was a little kid again, I just wanted to thank you Carl for taking the time out to help me try to get a TREAD.

The AJAC was a variable copter from the southern cross series.

Nice collection, Carl. I too am Mospeada fan. I recently bought Monocraft kit, but it doesn't come with the decal. Does yours come with decal?

Btw, thanks for the information on Legioss&Tread kits. Now I have to search for these.

By the way everyone, carl is one of the coolest people on this forum.

The AJAC was a variable copter from the southern cross series.

Thank you... you are too kind. Thanks for the info on the AJAC. I am familiar with it as I though, I'd just forgotten it's name. If you ever want my email address feel free to PM me. I'm no longer with TI so the email address you see over at Carl's corner is no longer good and Shawn just hasn't had the time yet to take it down.

Carl

Nice collection, Carl. I too am Mospeada fan. I recently bought Monocraft kit, but it doesn't come with the decal. Does yours come with decal?

No, the MonoCraft didn't come with any decals. That was something added to the kit by New Type. However my MonoCraft kit did come with several very nice sheets of line art. Did yours? I'm not sure if that was originally with the kit or not.

By the way, where did you get your MonoCraft kit? I've only ever seen one other besides mine in all my years of looking. That truely is a very rare find. The one I've got I found on eBay years ago and I don't think I've ever seen this kit on Yahoo Japan.

Carl

No, the MonoCraft didn't come with any decals. That was something added to the kit by New Type. However my MonoCraft kit did come with several very nice sheets of line art. Did yours? I'm not sure if that was originally with the kit or not.

By the way, where did you get your MonoCraft kit? I've only ever seen one other besides mine in all my years of looking. That truely is a very rare find. The one I've got I found on eBay years ago and I don't think I've ever seen this kit on Yahoo Japan.

Carl

I bought it directly from a member here. As for the sheet of line art, I think it's included, but I will check again when I get home. (I am at work :ph34r: )

Good job on the first try. You might want to add different shading of blue and grey to add realism to Thread. I was trying out Macmaster's brush painting tip last weekend. Here is the result of the AFC-01H Legioss, not quite as good as Macmaster's battlepods, but I learn a lot..

post-3-1118701367_thumb.jpg