262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

I'm not worried about the 360's 1 year head start, and neither is Sony.  Most people have had a gander at the expected line-up for the '360 this year and I actually fell asleep while reading about the games.  Besides, in the end blind fanatacism will keep more than enough people ready to spend for the PS and make it a grand thing...

378212[/snapback]

Yeah myk's got a point. The same thing happened with the DC, which by the way even though it died a premature death was an awesome system with some great games. They had a one year head start on Sony's PS2, but they just couldn't maintain their lead after word got out about what Sony was offering and even more so when the PS2 actually hit.

378267[/snapback]

Funny, since what Sony was claiming htey were offering to kill the DC wasn't what came out.

I'm not worried about the 360's 1 year head start, and neither is Sony.  Most people have had a gander at the expected line-up for the '360 this year and I actually fell asleep while reading about the games.  Besides, in the end blind fanatacism will keep more than enough people ready to spend for the PS and make it a grand thing...

378212[/snapback]

Yeah myk's got a point. The same thing happened with the DC, which by the way even though it died a premature death was an awesome system with some great games. They had a one year head start on Sony's PS2, but they just couldn't maintain their lead after word got out about what Sony was offering and even more so when the PS2 actually hit.

378267[/snapback]

Funny, since what Sony was claiming htey were offering to kill the DC wasn't what came out.

378268[/snapback]

I'm not following you there? I know they announced they would have the ability to playback DVD's which was a large selling point for a lot of the people i talked to when i worked at TRU, but i don't remember anything else that they annouced (other than games) that they didn't follow through with.

378212[/snapback]

378267[/snapback]

378268[/snapback]

I'm not following you there? I know they announced they would have the ability to playback DVD's which was a large selling point for a lot of the people i talked to when i worked at TRU, but i don't remember anything else that they annouced (other than games) that they didn't follow through with.

378273[/snapback]

They promised a system that massively outperformed the Dreamcast in every way. What came out was a system that had trouble EQUALING the Dreamcast.

The PS2 has NEVER reached any of the performance claims Sony made.

Another reason why the DC lost cuz of the bootlegs, Sega thought with GD no piracy but they were wrong.

378275[/snapback]

Yeah.

The real screw-up was when they made the BIOS able to boot standard CD-ROMs. Was nice for the homebrew community, but once people started putting games on them(in some cases they recompressed the video, in others they stripped stuff out, in still others the game fit as-is), it FUBARed the DC's software sales.

Yeah myk's got a point.  The same thing happened with the DC, which by the way even though it died a premature death was an awesome system with some great games.  They had a one year head start on Sony's PS2, but they just couldn't maintain their lead after word got out about what Sony was offering and even more so when the PS2 actually hit.

378267[/snapback]

Funny since once the PS2 landed all it had was poor DVD playback and a bunch of crappy games that looked worse than DC games. It took years for the PS2 to finally get some competent games that could compete with the DC's lineup, but by then everyone had ditched the DC.

Yeah myk's got a point.  The same thing happened with the DC, which by the way even though it died a premature death was an awesome system with some great games.  They had a one year head start on Sony's PS2, but they just couldn't maintain their lead after word got out about what Sony was offering and even more so when the PS2 actually hit.

378267[/snapback]

Funny since once the PS2 landed all it had was poor DVD playback and a bunch of crappy games that looked worse than DC games. It took years for the PS2 to finally get some competent games that could compete with the DC's lineup, but by then everyone had ditched the DC.

378316[/snapback]

Heh you're not kidding i was one of the first in our store to pick up a DC since it had such great potential and even though i preordered a PS2, it didn't get play for months until some good games came out for it. <_< Oh well it was my first DVD player however.

Has any system in recent years? :lol:

378311[/snapback]

The Dreamcast actually surpassed them.

378326[/snapback]

Thinking post DC. Nothing released this decade really has.

Edited by Gaijin

Nothing really has, not some of the more outlandish claims. Remember when Sony was comparing the PS2's emotion engine to the SGI machines that were producing Spirits Within? They even included SW test shots in their PS2 promo video.

Of course, 1up.com couldn't help them selves but publish some quotes from some "important" people within the industry.

1up.com article

Is it just me, or is it true that the people over at 1up.com always try to bash everything not related to Sony/PS2-3??

Where is MGREXX at these days any way?

He probably went back to kindergarten to finish school. :D

Edited by waters7

378212[/snapback]

378267[/snapback]

378268[/snapback]

378273[/snapback]

They promised a system that massively outperformed the Dreamcast in every way. What came out was a system that had trouble EQUALING the Dreamcast.

378279[/snapback]

Sony's name alone is what really carried the PS2. The PSX wasn't all that much of a great system IMO but it had some top notch games and more importantly it had so many games, it was simply impossible for any of the other systems to keep up. So considering the casual gamer market now, when news of a PS2 was on the horizon with potential sequels to everyone's fav. games almost a certanity, this really killed the chances of the Dreamcast having a lengthy stay in the console market. Come to think of it didn't Sony annouce the release of the PS2 the same day that the Dreamcast launched (9/9/99)? Talk about clever and cut-throat at the same time. <_<

Has any system in recent years? :lol:

378311[/snapback]

The Dreamcast actually surpassed them.

378326[/snapback]

Thinking post DC. Nothing released this decade really has.

378345[/snapback]

GameCube might've. I didn't keep score on what Nintendo was promising.

Well, it failed to deliver RE4 as an exclusive. That might count. :p

Oh, you mean what console has reached the claims of its makers? I'd say the GameCube did. Nintendo made very modest claims as to the Gamecube's abilities. Before it launched, pretty much everyone was convinced that it would be the least visually impressive console of the generation.

Of course, if you ask many of these same people today, their hindsight is 20/20 and of course they always knew the Cube would have better graphics than the PS2.

Then again, some of them insist the Cube still has the worst graphics.

Edited by Radd

Oh, you mean what console has reached the claims of its makers? I'd say the GameCube did. Nintendo made very modest claims as to the Gamecube's abilities. Before it launched, pretty much everyone was convinced that it would be the least visually impressive console of the generation.

Of course, if you ask many of these same people today, their hindsight is 20/20 and of course they always knew the Cube would have better graphics than the PS2.

Then again, some of them insist the Cube still has the worst graphics.

378395[/snapback]

Some still insist the DC looks worse than the PS2 and has "no good games" too.

My bad, I forgot that Nintendo never promised us an apple orchard.

Hmm...maybe it is bad,i n that I often forget the GC even though it ranks high on my list. I tend to not take them seriously anymore.

Hmm...maybe it is bad,i n that I often forget the GC even though it ranks high on my list.  I tend to not take them seriously anymore.

378403[/snapback]

The GC was a great little system with some very good games, but nintendo seriously needs more staunch third party support that's willing to make either more exclusive games for the system that can appeal to the masses or more ports of strong selling games from other systems. I think when RE:4 was announced for the PS2 less than a year after it came out for the GC as an exclusive (from the words of the series creator himself i think it was) it was just about the final nail in the coffin for the system... except for maybe LOZ: Twilight Princess.

Hmm...maybe it is bad,i n that I often forget the GC even though it ranks high on my list.  I tend to not take them seriously anymore.

378403[/snapback]

The GC was a great little system with some very good games, but nintendo seriously needs more staunch third party support that's willing to make either more exclusive games for the system that can appeal to the masses or more ports of strong selling games from other systems. I think when RE:4 was announced for the PS2 less than a year after it came out for the GC as an exclusive (from the words of the series creator himself i think it was) it was just about the final nail in the coffin for the system... except for maybe LOZ: Twilight Princess.

378412[/snapback]

Well, the 'Cube kept RE0. We saw how much attention that got it. I seem to recall it being branded a crappy kiddy-fied version of the series because it was a 'Cube game.

Well, the 'Cube kept RE0. We saw how much attention that got it. I seem to recall it being branded a crappy kiddy-fied version of the series because it was a 'Cube game.

378418[/snapback]

Never heard that one.

Edited by Gaijin

The GC was a great little system with some very good games, but nintendo seriously needs more staunch third party support that's willing to make either more exclusive games for the system that can appeal to the masses or more ports of strong selling games from other systems.  I think when RE:4 was announced for the PS2 less than a year after it came out for the GC as an exclusive (from the words of the series creator himself i think it was) it was just about the final nail in the coffin for the system... except for maybe LOZ: Twilight Princess.

378412[/snapback]

I think most gamers (myself included) think that Nintendo needs more 3rd party support. But Nintendo doesn't really need it to survive. They seem to be doing fine without it. The DS has finally taken off. Anyone see the lines for the DS-lite in Japan? I like the new design.

I dunno if I'll buy a Revolution. Nintendo will have to promise more than just retro games. Luckily E3 isn't too far off. The Gamecube has been (unfortunately) disappointing to me. I've lost interest in waiting for the new Zelda game.

Oh well, Okami for the PS2 isn't too far off. I'd love to see a Gamecube version.

378403[/snapback]

378412[/snapback]

378418[/snapback]

Never played it so i can't say how good or bad it was. I recall it getting pretty good reviews, but nothing thru the roof. People who went out and said that it was a kiddy version of the RE franchise simply because it was on the Gamecube are morons. But even though they were able to keep that prequel on their system exclusive, there's nothing that draws people to the GC from the other systems more than the First Party Franchise games and those were just too far and few between. Don't get me wrong i love my GC and i pre-ordered it, crazy enough, but i knew from what the N64 situation was like, what i was getting into and i was willing to accept that because i loved their first party games so much. For most consumers though, who can't afford mulitple systems, there just wasn't enough on the GC for them to support an exclusive purchase in comparison to the PS2 and Xbox.

Edited by Veritas

I'm probably the ONLY MW'er that hasn't picked up PS2's God of War.

Well now it's finally the time to do so because it's only $19.99 now that it's on the Greatest Hits List.

I'm probably the ONLY MW'er that hasn't picked up PS2's God of War.

Well now it's finally the time to do so because it's only $19.99 now that it's on the Greatest Hits List.

378440[/snapback]

I haven't bought it yet either lol. Still gotta finish Devil may Cry 3 SE...still a f'in hard game. Then its off to Onimusha Dawn of Dreams....and then maybe God of War. I'm also waiting for Burnout Revenge to drop. I won't pay full price for a game from EA...

Never played it so i can't say how good or bad it was.  I recall it getting pretty good reviews, but nothing thru the roof.  People who went out and said that it was a kiddy version of the RE franchise simply because it was on the Gamecube are morons. 

Well, yeah.

I have a very low opinion of the average gamer.

But even though they were able to keep that prequel on their system exclusive, there's nothing that draws people to the GC from the other systems more than the First Party Franchise games and those were just too far and few between. 

As they have been on every other system.

The NES is as famous for Contra, Megaman, and Ninja Gaiden as it is for Mario, Metroid, and Zelda.

Hence why I've been saying all along that Nintendo needs to expend more effort to draw in 3rd parties, and preferably to lock exclusives down.

It was the N64's primary failing, and it was the 'Cube's primary failing.

Of course, in the end they ARE turning more profit than anyone else, but if they could increase their market share they'd be rolling in dough.

Don't get me wrong i love my GC and i pre-ordered it, crazy enough, but i knew from what the N64 situation was like, what i was getting into and i was willing to accept that because i loved their first party games so much.  For most consumers though, who can't afford mulitple systems, there just wasn't enough on the GC for them to support an exclusive purchase in comparison to the PS2 and Xbox.

I waited for a while. I got my 'Cube as a Prime bundle. Was my first active current-gen system(I'd grabbed a DC and a few games on clearance before that).

I knew it had less games, it just happened that it also had the games I wanted most.

I waited for a while. I got my 'Cube as a Prime bundle. Was my first active current-gen system(I'd grabbed a DC and a few games on clearance before that).

I knew it had less games, it just happened that it also had the games I wanted most.

I waited for the Metroid bundle also. This system happened to have the games I enjoyed more as well...

Soonest PS3 to arrive ANYWHERE to be November. The now public conference Sony is holding in Japan tomorrow is supposed to have the official skivy on what is up with the PS3.

The above story though does not make it clear if a November release would be Japan only or worldwide. When the PS1 came out right around Decemeber 1st of 1994, it wouldn't hit the US until September 9th of 1995... over 9 months later. The PS2 hit Japan in March of 2000 with a US release that October... a 7 month gap. Unless Sony can prepare itself for a simultaneous US/Japan or worldwide release, it's looking more and more likely that the PS3 may not show up in the US until next March. The same thing happened with the PSP.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I have to say again that it is way to soon to be pushing Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for a gaming console. I know there is a lot of hype to the PS2 having pushed the DVD market, but when the PS2 came out, DVD movie players had been out for like 2 or 3 years and was a proven technology. Also DVD players had already been really coming down; that fall of 2000, I bought a few GE DVD players as Christmas gifts for under $150 each.

But the longer the system's delayed, the higher chance it stands for me to buy one at launch. I'll maybe have the extra dough, it might help to lower the cost, and I would have had a good year plus to have enjoyed my 360 as my primary system. :)

I eventually wind up with everything.

PC gets an upgrade, the console I hate creeps in, etc. Damned good games keep being exclusive.

380320[/snapback]

Likewise. It's fun to support a particular console or hate certain platform for awhile. But in the end, there ends up being at least one game that I have to play for just about everything under the sun.

Did I tell you guys I actually wound up with an N-Gage? It's okay, though... I got it for free when Gamestop decided to stop carrying them, and that the demo units were up for grabs.

Did I tell you guys I actually wound up with an N-Gage?  It's okay, though... I got it for free when Gamestop decided to stop carrying them, and that the demo units were up for grabs.

380465[/snapback]

Yowza. :lol: Nice collector's item for the phone collector though.

Been tryin' to get God of War for the $20 shown in the ads, haven't seen any local stores carrying it. What sucks is I picked up Devil May Cry 3 (reg. version) for $25 then two weeks later the new DVC3: Special Ed. for $20 went up for sale, didn't know about it at all. RE4 was good, super hard though, had to Game Shark it. Medal of Honor: European Assault is kicking my ass currently. Anyone have reviews if they liked Ultimate Spider Man is any good?

Did I tell you guys I actually wound up with an N-Gage?  It's okay, though... I got it for free when Gamestop decided to stop carrying them, and that the demo units were up for grabs.

380465[/snapback]

Yowza. :lol: Nice collector's item for the phone collector though.

380473[/snapback]

I'm looking at getting an N-Gage so I can play RIFTS: Promise of Power. Heard nothing but good things about that game, and I'm an avid Rifts fan.

It's official: PS3 worldwide launch in November.

Unless Sony is ahead at this point in development and manufacturing capacity then Microsoft was a year ago with the 360, who doesn't see the same thing happening with the PS3 at launch? Sony hasn't tried doing a worldwide release before on their systems (the Japanese market getting the Playstation 1 and 2 over half a year before anyone else).

The price still hasn't been confirmed. And it could vary depending on if they include their hard drive or not. I applaud that they seem to be putting more of an emphesis on the PS3 fully utilizing its hard drive then Microsoft did with the 360, but if this is the case, the hard drive should be a mandatory pack-in and not an option. I know I'm going off topic, but a message to Microsoft, "stop selling the core system!" The only 360's I have seen in stores since launch has been the core system. I swear I have not seen a Premium set since I got mine back on November 22nd. Gamers know that the hard drive version is the way to go.

Cool that we finally got some more news and info on the PS3, but still a lot of unknowns that will make or break people buying it (especially the cost). I will probably pass for a year or two unless a UC Gundam game gets released stateside. :D

HDD required for all games. Ok, this is actually something we didn't expect.

As for price...- Price will not be less than 50,000YEN (~$425.00 USD) at least in Japan. So at least $425...question is how high could it go with BD, HDMI 1.3 and possibly a 60 GB HDD.

sce1_07.jpg

sce1_05.jpg

sce1_06.jpg

sce1_03.jpg

sce1_04.jpg

Interesting indeed.

Edited by Gaijin