VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie

BROWNSFAN72

would you like to see this made?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see this made?

• Yes.
    • No.

Hey all this is my first try on the poll, please forgive me if I mess things up. What I wanted to know is for all who have a 1/72 Hasegawa or 1/60 Yamato VE-1 Elintseeker, how many would like to see a small conversion kit made to turn their kit or toy in to a 1/72 or 1/60 VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie.

From what I understand the VEFR-1 version has a different rotary overhead radome, electronic surveillance pod mounted on the arm, detection equipment in the wing, and retractable detectors in lieu of hands. I assume these parts would be add on parts made out of resin, so they can be glued on to your kit, so I think the price wouldn't be to crazy. i think you can use the VE-1 fast pack and radome, just re paint it. This way maybe it would be easier to just make the small parts.

Here is a link to a picture of one, I really don't know what the head looks like, so if anyone knows more please let me know.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/vefr-1.htm

I have no idea who would make it, maybe if we get a good response some one might get on the ball and jump on it.

For those who do respond with a yes please tell me if you would like a 1/72 or 1/60.

So add your name here if you would like to see it made:

1. BROWNSFAN72 - 1/72

2. jorawar_b - 1/72

3. christopherB

4. AlphaHX 1/72

5. Wicked Ace

6. jardann 1/72

7. godfather

Edited by BROWNSFAN72

The VEFR looks to be based on the VF-1D, not the DYRL VT/VE two-seater.

So I don't think basing the conversion on the VE-1 would be the right way to go.

Plus, I imagine most people who would mess with resin conversion parts would probably want to go the model (i.e. 1/72) route.

I have to agree that it might be easier to use a Hasegawa VF-1D kit as opposed to the VE-1, especially since no armor is needed.

However, if the VEFR-1 head is similar or the same as the VE-1 head, we would then want to use a VE-1 kit since it can be built with the legs in the normal non-fastpack position. Unless of course a resin head is provided.

In this case, I wonder how the radar dish attaches to the body. I remember discussing this quite a while back, but there aren't a lot of reference pictures, so some details will have to be improvised.

It would be cool to have a conversion kit in 1/72 scale, and it would be a first.

If you were going to build this kit to sell to us I'd vote yes, however, there's so many other projects I'd like to see before this one that I'd say no.

If this one was done it'd detract from other more desirable projects and use up the valuable and limited sculpting skills we have on this board (Captain America, Gundamhead, just to name a few).

This one isn't high on my list because it doesn't seem that different from the Elintseeker which I actually like better.

To make a kit worthwhile (according to our resident expert sculptors) you need about 50 interested people to get a kit made.

My two cents, don't hate me <_<

Edited by Grayson72

Grayson72, your right there are some great kits comming out, but if this kit gets any steam built up and people would like it, I would love to jump on it.

Trust me I can't wait to see all the kits on the current projects built. Since I do have a few spare VF-1D robot kits, I wouldn't mind trying to make this kit, I have never custom built a kit before, it is something I would like to learn. I have been studing the mold making books, but never did it.

I work for am company that does the "pimp my ride" stuff and one of my Fiberglass guys wanted to try making plastic or rubber molds

Any help guys, what is the best way to start, what should I do and what should I avoid, I figure this conversion is small, and maybe I can try to get my feet wet, or take baby steps.

Any help?

Edited by BROWNSFAN72

Hmmm.... now that I see it... it's kinda neat but really really ugly IMO. I porbably wouldn't be interested because these usually end up being way expensive and I have a major backlog of kits and such to work on as it is.... so, in regards to your PM, maybe (and that's a pretty tentative maybe), but prolly not.... unless this ended up in 1/100 scale to go with my Koenig Monster toy (I'm the only one that feels this way tho) :lol:

However, if the VEFR-1 head is similar or the same as the VE-1 head, we would then want to use a VE-1 kit since it can be built with the legs in the normal non-fastpack position. Unless of course a resin head is provided.

But then you would need a whole new forward fuselage, cockpit and canopy. The cockpit and canopy on the VEFR-1 is basically the same (maybe identical to) that of the VF-1D. It does not have the VT/VE style bubble canopy, or the cockpit / forward fuselage that goes with it. If this is done, it should be done from a VF-1D base.

Being a fan of the VEFR-1 (I was trying to make a VEFR-1 Gerwalk for a while...) I can tell you that you need an VF-1D as the base, the radome could be the same as the VE-1, the head could be similar to the VE-1's but the only rendition of the head is from a model in the Macross Hobby book and looks different. The sensor pods are not the same as the VE-1 at all. You will need to modify the wingtips also and add a squarish pod at the wing roots.

It is not clear how the VEFR-1 transforms (as opossed to the VE-1 transformation sequence that we know from the books) For example: In these forums a member even suggested that the dome was permanently attached to the head (I don't concur)

Last but not least: the only scene that the VEFR-1 is seen is in fighter mode and after a carefull analisys of the image I concluded that it was carrying armored on the legs though it has not fast packs (a very strange and interesting configuration)

I would be interested in a model version of it. One problem I see is the current availability of the VF-1D models or toys.

I would love to see this conversion kit made, that is one awesome looking valk.

Is the radar dome attacjed to his head or is there a bar holding it up?

Edited by jorawar_b

As I said, the VF-1D is the best kit to use, although I personally prefer the VE-1 cockpit and noseone, which is what I would use should a conversion kit become available.

The picture of the model posted above shows that it is non-transformable, and that separate battroid and valkyrie models were created. The anime magic is evident as well in that the dish shown on the valkyrie is definitely smaller than the battroid radar dish.

I've exchanged several PM's with the creator of this thread based upon my experience with custom projects and as usual someone would have to commit to scratchbuilding the parts and then the casting could begin.

I have started to work on some drawings for the VEFR-1 conversion on my VF-1D. Can anyone find better detailed pictures of the head of the VEFR-1?

Actually any better detailed pictures would be good. I went out and bought a "do it yourself resin kit for first time users" to make the final product. I went to a local hobby shop and the guy suggested I use some type of clay to sculpt the parts and then use to as a mold for the resin kit, is this the right way?

I have never done this so any help would be good.

Once again thanks gerwalker for the pictures, you don't know how much it has helped me out.

Cdr Fokker, thanks for the heads up on the VF-1D info, other wise I was going to use the VE-1 kit.

I wouldn't worry so much about the casting, there's always someone with a lot more experience around here willing to do that. I'd focus on getting the sculpt right which should take you a really long time if you're new at it.

I think the most trouble in creating this sculpt would be, the electronic equipment on the right arm. I am referencing th pics in the DW and it appears the equipment retract into the arm (no hands on this valk).

As far as the radome is concerned (in battroid mode), I think it is actually attached to the back hatch. This method would allow the head to move back into to the body when transforming into gerwalk or valkyrie mode.

Okay guys one question, does this thing have a front mount camera like the

RF-4E Phantoms? I have the wing tips and tail parts kinda figured out, I think they are seonsor pods, kinda like the 4 seater A-6 prowler and that the camera is only mounted up front and not on the wing tips.

Any idea's?

Edited by BROWNSFAN72