1/72 Regult

captain america

Mine arrived yesterday. They look great. I can't wait to work on one when I get back from Wonderfest.

Has anyone else gotten their kit yet? Any comments?

I haven't gotten mine yet and I'm really excited to get it. Every day that it doesn't arrive is agony.

Yeah it is like waiting for Christmas when I was 12 years old. Pure Excitement! Too bad I´m in Germany so I won´t be among the first to get it. My last h

Hey I wasn´t finished, somehow pressed the wrong key.

What I was was trying to tell was my last HLJ small packet arrived in Frankfurt (where all international parcels arrive) and the customs kept it there for 3months :huh::blink::angry: for NO obvious reasons - they didn´t even charge a customs fee!

Well the average shipping time should be about two weeks so I it will take about another week from now before I go nuts every time I hear the Postal Service car pass by. ;)

Edited by honneamise

I went over to John's to pick up my 2 Regults this week-end, and man are they awesome!!! I got one with clear parts and one with solid parts, although I don't know if I'll build the one with the clear parts "clear" yet, it has a lot of potential for a really cool effects.

The pictures John posted of his built-up Regult does not do it justice whatsoever, I'm not bashing John's picture taking abilities here, just saying how much better it looks in person. I can't wait for the add-ons, but John's REALLY busy as I saw in person, so we'll all hafto be patient and let John breathe a little.

John, thanks so much for welcoming me into your lair once again, and thanks especially for making these incredible kits for Macross and CaptainAmerica fans alike!! :D

I´ve got my Regult!! :):):) Shipping took only about a week!

What can I say? Overwhelming....the kit does look even better than on the pics. The sculpt is gorgeous, detailing is even better than I already expected from the various photos here in the thread, all parts are well cast - you really did an awesome job John!!! :D

And I must mention how well thought out the whole kit is. Of course there are lots of pouring plugs to be removed but they are all on surfaces which are easy to sand without risking damage to the details or they are on the back/ hidden sides of the parts.

Naturally a multi-part kit like this demands a lot of preparation to the many components, but this job will still be rather easy as far as I can see.

I´d really like to begin construction at once, but I´ll have to finish my Oberth ship first. But of course the Regult (by the way in the German dub it is called a "Regator" don´t ask me why :( )will come next!

Hi Vice.

It was great seeing you again. Hopefully next time we'll have a bit more time to sit & chat; preferably over drinks.

Honneamise: sorry about the large sprue gates, that's one of the downfalls of my casting technique: I need large pour vents to be able to fill all the molds in time & place them under pressure. I tell myself that it's always easier to remove a bit of excess resin than to have to putty/fill, so I think it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Oh, by the way. I also produced a set of artwork for the Regult's markings. I didn't do mine as decals: in stead, I printed the markings out onto frisket, and cut them out as spray templates. Here's a quick pic...

post-3-1117559812_thumb.jpg

Nice work with the stencils John! Care to share? :p

Thanks for all your tremendous efforts - I received mine last week - and all I can say is that its up to the usual John Standards! I hope to do you proud some day soon when I can get back to my bench! B))

Just don't forget about the launch vehicle... :unsure:

Hi Grayson.

The second batch kits are already shipping. Anyone who can make the balance of their payments please feel free to do so.

Rear view with the stenciled markings...

Whoa, glad you said something I was waiting for a Payment PM from you.

(captain america @ May 31 2005, 05:52 AM)Honneamise: sorry about the large sprue gates, that's one of the downfalls of my casting technique: I need large pour vents to be able to fill all the molds in time & place them under pressure. I tell myself that it's always easier to remove a bit of excess resin than to have to putty/fill, so I think it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Hi John, don´t get me wrong, I did not mean to criticise your casting technique at all - it is a matter of fact that sprue gates can´t be avoided - I only wanted to point out how well they are placed for easy removing. As you say, sanding away those gates is much less of a headache than filling tiny air bubbles - and there are NONE in any parts of my Regult! :)

And thanks for posting the stencils, they are very welcome!!!

Hi Honneamise.

It's all good. I know what you mean about bubbles: I hate those things to death myself; that's why I cast the way I do :lol:

Also, for those of you who asked to be placed in Group 2 for shipping, I just wanted to let you know that I'm now ready to accept payments again, as well as any new orders.

I'm going to cast through to the cycle-life of this mold, and then that'll be it for the standard Regult. The heavy-missile conversion sets will (eventually) be available as a stand-alone conversion, and not sold as a pack with the Regult.

Good thing too, cos the regult is a crazy pain in the ass to mold/cast! :lol:

Got mine... thanks so much Cap'n! :D

WOW! The kit is really a sight to behold! Lottsa fine details that aren't readily visible in the photos. It'll be a hoot to assemble... some day... :lol::rolleyes:

The only thing I don't dig is the clear parts. Kinda thought they'd be made of a hard clear resin, but they're actually made of a somewhat rubbery material. Its most apparent in the half of the main pod/ cabin because the part is so thin in spots. The smaller parts aren't really affected by the material change as much. Nonetheless, detail is crisp and consistent on ALL parts, (hard) grey resin and (rubbery) clear alike. I'll be assembling it all painted anyhow, so no biggie I suppose...

Still, don't misinterpret my crit... this is an amazing kit and well worth the price of admission. I'd rather see someone get ambitious with features than to just do the expected! I especially LOVE the interior details... and can't wait for the pilot option kit!

Again, EXCELLENT job on this kit, John. I look forward to more of your stellar creations! In the meantime, I'll be pouring out a 40 ouncer for what coulda been (the Legioss)... ;)

Hi Amped.

Glad you like the kit. Sorry about the rubbery clear parts: I'd gone through so many trials, and believe it or not, that resin was the most user-friendly of all the clears. Most others were almost unpourably-thick, and took over 24 hours to cure :o

As per the clear resin manufacturers own comments, the stuff is designed to remain slightly flexible, even after cure. However, you can try this little trick:

place your clear parts on a cookie tray covered with wax paper, and put it in the oven for 4 hours at 150 farenheit & let cool. This has the effect of further hardening the resin slightly, making it easier to trim/putty/sand.