Newbie Questions on Macross

Not trying to split hairs (or argue semantics, or whatever), but from what I have learned on the topic, satellites orbit at varying altitudes, and the use of the term is general, at best; which is my motivation for including a differentiation between the 'altitudes' of orbit - as technically anything that travel's around the Earth without either touching the Earth or escaping it's gravity is in Earth's orbit (yes, English definition, and not necessarily a scientific one.) <- wow! That's one long run-on sentence.

different modes for differing terrain and environments in addition to adaptation to different enemy configurations/vehicles.

Gerwalk (Ground Effective Reinforcement of Winged Armament with Locomotive Knee-joint) along with Battroid mode - allow for VTOL or vertical take off and landing. It can allow for more tight control in an urban environment - i.e city streets.

Battroid is just frickin' cool to look at :p:)

What about the sub quality? I already know the lines, I just don't want to pay for a DVD with poorly done 'engrish' subs.

The Image quality is great,the subtitle quality is below-average...

English.

Language of the UN in the early 1980s, when Macross was made. In addition, there is numerous signs, symbols and words in English Roman letters in all of the Macross productions, and there is some English heard in things like the introduction animations of some of the video games, etc..

The 2nd language of Macross would be Zentraedi. (Check out some of the signs in the background when Myung leaves Eden in Macross Plus, eps. 3: English Roman letters, and Zentraedi on the signs!)

OK, are there sources with a bit more meat for the VF-X series of games?

The Chronology barely touches on the events of the games compared to the M3 descriptions

AVF? Okay....

The only VFs that can reach satellite orbit without an external booster are the VF-11MAXL, VF-17, VF-19, and VF-22 (The VF/VA-14 is probably also possible assuming we had actual specs).

Well technically since all variable fighters are capable of space flight (VF-0 being the only unknown) and they use nuclear engines one could argue they all could acheive orbit unassisted.

What the differences would be is in "how long" it would take to get there. In SDFM we see them use boosters, but that is a way to get the fighters into space quickly as opposed to taking several hours.

Now the models of the 2040+ era have very powerful engines which allow them to reach orbit very quickly without the use of boosters as demonstrated by Guld and Isamu in Mac Plus.

OK, are there sources with a bit more meat for the VF-X series of games?

The only thing out there is a gaming guide/walkthroughs to VF-X and VF-X 2

VF-X walkthrough

VF-x 2 walkthrough

VF-X and VF-X 2 don't have solid timelines on when the missions you play happens (in the case of VF-X 2, you have a branching storyline, which further complicates things) so it is hard to gauge exact dates on those 2 games.

Well technically since all variable fighters are capable of space flight (VF-0 being the only unknown) and they use nuclear engines one could argue they all could acheive orbit unassisted.

...blah blah blah

Yes yes yes and we can go about this all day long...But this thread is not here to argue semantics about.

Hey, is quamzin krashvera the zentraedi who kills focker in the DYRL movie?

It's suppose to be him.

What the differences would be is in "how long" it would take to get there. In SDFM we see them use boosters, but that is a way to get the fighters into space quickly as opposed to taking several hours.

Ummmm.... no.

For the millionth time... you have to have a reaction mass. The fusion engine CANNOT directly produce thrust.

While air can be used at low altitudes, as you get higher, you will HAVE to use your Valk's internal reaction mass, which is finite(and may not even be loaded if they were planning for an atmosphere-exclusive mission).

To put it simply, you cannot just say "Well, I can get away from the Earth in 50 years if I keep going 5 miles an hour" because you'll run out of gas first.

As they weren't on a tight timetable for the factory satellite capture mission, there was no reason to waste the very limited post-war resources on escape boosters just to shave a few hours off the schedule. That scene is a VERY strong indicator that the VF-1 CANNOT leave Earth unassisted.

The YF-19 and -21 aren't even capable of actually leaving Earth unaided, according to specs. They're only capable of attaining orbital velocity(though they can use the fold booster to "cheat").

This is just in the game?

4.) VF-1X-Plus "Super Valykrie"

Manufacturer: StoneWell/Bellcom

Type: Similiar to the "VF-1X-Plus Valkyrie", with the exception of an added Fast Pack System,

allowing increased speed and manouverability and the ability to "Fold".

I wouldn't be surprised. The fold booster is an independant add on just like a FAST Pack. No reason why a fold booster cannot work with a VF-1.

Well... It's only independent in that it contains it's own power source and operational gear. It's still controlled by whatever it's mounted to.

One would assume you need ever so slightly more data transfer capability for a fold generator than you do for "gas tanks" and missile launchers. The VF-1 could be limited by the external availability of computer IO.

Could also be limited by the Valkyrie's onboard computer, if it's not powerful enough for fold navigation.

But that assumes the fold generator doesn't carry it's own computer, which isn't beyond the realm of plausibility, even for "disposable" hardware.

We already stick a good deal of compute power into our own cruise missiles, which are decidedly single-use devices. Given the fold booster DOESN'T explode, it's likely that it can be retrieved later and refurbished for another use in many situations.

Third possibility is physical mounting points.

The fold booster was designed to attach to the YF-19 and -21. It's highly doubtful that the attach points used exist on the VF-1, even with the 1X modifications.

An adapter could PROBABLY be made, but it's hard to say without knowing anything about the physics of the fold generator or nature of the available attach points.

If there's too much stress generated in-transit, it could tear right off, leaving the Valk pilot lost and stranded at an unknown point between his start and destination. Or bounced right out of the galaxy. Or stuck in "fold space" forever(if I recall, dialog in Viva Maria implies this is a "real" consequence of fold generator failure).

Variations in the mount could also potentially affect the accuracy of your fold. Again leaving your pilot stranded in Middle of Nowhere, Population 1.

Any way you slice it, it's not something you'd want to trust to a hack if there's even a remote possibility of it affecting anything. There's simply no way it can end well.

Computer compatibility would be a major point. However, I still fully believe that an adapter can be made due to the fact that a VF-17 that predates the 19 and 21 can still use it.

If worse comes to worst, the VF-1 can transform to battroid and carry it while operating it through a computer module.

Computer compatibility would be a major point. However, I still fully believe that an adapter can be made due to the fact that a VF-17 that predates the 19 and 21 can still use it.

If worse comes to worst, the VF-1 can transform to battroid and carry it while operating it through a computer module.

I'd forgotten the 17.

That torpedoes concern 3, which is the biggest one.

Unless I'm mistaken about the portable fold generator's development, but I'm pretty sure that was alongside the 19 and 21.

For some reason, I was under the impression that travelling in space fold was rigourous. Therefore, my perception was that the airframes of the VFs capable of mounting the fold booster where somehow hardened to better protect the pilot/vehicle whilst in Super Dimension Space.

This is not to say that the other arguements are not valid - they are; and they are quite interesting - along tangents that I hadn't mentally explored.

Also, aparently the prototype of the VF-11 can mount a fold booster, but the production model cannot.

From what little information can be gleaned from sources like the Compendium, a VF sized fold booster was developed and deployed at the, or prior to the development of the VF-11. I'm of the opinion that the first VF scale fold boosters looked nothing like the one introduced with the YF-19 and YF-21 in Macross Plus.

The Shinnakasu Industry/OTEC FBF-1000A External Fighter Fold Booster prototype of Macross Plus is also "Not certified for performing a one-way trip of 20 light years." Which leads me to suspect that the preceeding VF sized fold boosters had smaller ranges.

Edited by sketchley

Just a few notes:

-Fold boosters most like have their own power supply and/or fuel. Fold boosters were used to pull the mini-Spiritia farm away from the twins in M7.

-One of the requirements of Project Supernova was to be able to use the fold booster, natively. No software or hardware add-ons. So JB0's note about computing requirements is plausible.

The Shinnakasu Industry/OTEC FBF-1000A External Fighter Fold Booster prototype of Macross Plus is also "Not certified for performing a one-way trip of 20 light years." Which leads me to suspect that the preceeding VF sized fold boosters had smaller ranges.

This would be assuming there was ever a prior limit. The range limitation may be due to the size of the fold booster and the necessary power requirements, not due to age.

For some reason, I was under the impression that travelling in space fold was rigourous. Therefore, my perception was that the airframes of the VFs capable of mounting the fold booster where somehow hardened to better protect the pilot/vehicle whilst in Super Dimension Space.

This is not to say that the other arguements are not valid - they are; and they are quite interesting - along tangents that I hadn't mentally explored.

And I hadn't made it to your line of thought either.

I was worried about the booster ripping loose, and didn't even THINK about the VF itself being damaged.

Also, aparently the prototype of the VF-11 can mount a fold booster, but the production model cannot.

From what little information can be gleaned from sources like the Compendium, a VF sized fold booster was developed and deployed at the, or prior to the development of the VF-11. I'm of the opinion that the first VF scale fold boosters looked nothing like the one introduced with the YF-19 and YF-21 in Macross Plus.

Given they VF-X-11 supported a fold booster, but it was removed for the final product, it's also possible that the VF-11 booster either wasn't stable enough for deployment, and the Plus/7-era booster is the first reliable small-scale fold generator.

The VF-17 was late enough that they could, hypothetically, be confident that a reliable fighter-sized booster WOULD be available in the near future, so the capability was included in the final design.

Really hard to do more than just guess with the information available right now.

But it's such a FUN line of thought!

Two more:

1. Where are stored the anti-missile flares on the VFs?

2. What the hell is chaff?

1. I don't recall ever seeing a vf use them, but they would have to in the rear in fighter mode, either in the legs, backpack or the roots of the vertical stabilizers

2. Chaff in modern aircraft terms is an exploding bundle of 100s of strips of reflective tin foil-like ribbons. It supposedly confuses enemy radar guidance. What the equivalent in Overtech would be I don't know. I don't think Overtech mecha use conventional radar for targeting.

Chaff

The only thing out there is a gaming guide/walkthroughs to VF-X and VF-X 2

VF-X walkthrough

VF-x 2 walkthrough

VF-X and VF-X 2 don't have solid timelines on when the missions you play happens (in the case of VF-X 2, you have a branching storyline, which further complicates things) so it is hard to gauge exact dates on those 2 games.

Bah, dead links.... :(

Yes yes yes and we can go about this all day long...But this thread is not here to argue semantics about.

It isn't so much semantics as it is an answer to the question. In that a VF-1 is capable, just not AS capable as it's younger cousins. An answer was given implying that the Valk was not capable of unassisted orbit, I am simply countering that statement with what we know ;)

Two more:

1. Where are stored the anti-missile flares on the VFs?

Normally, the chaff/flare dispensors are in the engine section. But this is only in cases where they've been animated. Due to time limitations on production, these were overlooked and not animated.

Bah, dead links....

Apparently 1 person saw it including myself, maybe more. I can't help it if you missed it. <_<

Give it a few days and see if they bring back the site. :rolleyes:

And two more:

1. The destroid monster that destroyed the AIFOS in mac0 is an standard monster or a variant?

2. If vf-1 and vf-0 doesn't have television cameras in their fuselage, how the pilot can see TV images in the monitors?

And two more:

1. The destroid monster that destroyed the AIFOS in mac0 is an standard monster or a variant?

2. If vf-1 and vf-0 doesn't have television cameras in their fuselage, how the pilot can see TV images in the monitors?

1. It is a Mk I. SDFM Monsters are considered Mk. II.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...wr00/index.html

2. In battroid mode? The head is the primary location for cameras and other sensors. Additionally, there are various sensors throughout the body.

2. In battroid mode? The head is the primary location for cameras and other sensors. Additionally, there are various sensors throughout the body.

No, I mean in fighter mode, the other VFs like the vf-19 and the vf-22 have TV cameras located on the nose in fighter mode,but the vf-0 and vf-1 don't have any. And their heads are folded in their fuselages.

The VF-1 has them - the two "bumbs" on the sides of the cockpit, below the canopy (they become part of the hips, in battroid mode.)

If I'm not mistaken, they are IR cameras, though I'm only 50% confident about this statement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...