Starshipmodeler.com Hacked

I know many of you are also frequent posters on that board as well. The forum at Starship Modeler has been hacked and all the data lost. John, the ower and admin, has closed to forum until more secure software can be obtained. He has also said that there is a chance the forum is gone for good! Aaaargh.

I hope the culprit is found and he/she/them is poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, streched, disembowled, drawn and quartered. :angry: And then taken to jail. <_<

What? No severed horse's head in their beds?

I find it hard to believe that they didn't back up the database, so they can at least reinstate it to the last good point that they did the back up in. It's almost weird that this can happen. In any case it's a great loss... :(

Meh. . . not putting them back up. . . that's like the worst thing you can do.

It's like handing the hacker a big fat congratulatory bonus.

Hackers dream of actually causing so much mayhem and/or distress that the site/resource just remains down.

Sigh. . . another victory for the forces of darkness. . .

F'ing kids. . .

H

I hope the culprit is found and he/she/them is poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, streched, disembowled, drawn and quartered.  :angry:  And then taken to jail.  <_<

What? No severed horse's head in their beds?

{snip!}

No. That'd be way too good for the little $#!%s who did this. GlowingDemon.gif

I feel like a refugee. I can't believe how much info was just lost. Links to sites, projects underway, and all the people that I consider friends.

I do hope he does not let the hacker win and brings the forums back.

I feel the same way. I'm kicking myself for not saving off so many cool threads I was going to get to later....and the worst thing...I have 2 PM's I never got too. They are probably nothing, but it bugs me that I may never know what they had to say! :(

The SSM forums will return, J&L have promised that. And a lot of the forum was backed up recently. They're just examining the security of thier current system and seeing if they want to move to another piece of software.

The SSM forums will return, J&L have promised that. And a lot of the forum was backed up recently. They're just examining the security of thier current system and seeing if they want to move to another piece of software.

That's great news, I was shocked at how depressed I felt after not being able to access the forums last night.

Haha, I bet it wasn't hacked at all. More like one of the mods screwed up and accidentally deleted the admin account, too embarassed to admit it, so crashes teh forums and blames it on "hax0rz". :D

No, it was truly hacked. PHPBB has some security issues and a new exploit came out about 2 weeks ago that would give out admin password to anyone who sent the right URL. Fun, eh? On top of that they didn't trash anything, just removed the admin privileges for the top 4 people.

And generally speakin', 9 times out of 10 when a site gets hacked it's due to a beef with the Sysop...just like 9 times out of 10 if you're a victim of ID-Theft it's somebody you know.

Yea it just kills me , I hate it when someone does this, and espeacally SSm , which is my favorite site and one of the best ways I communicate with my customers on a daliy bases. Hopefully John will be able to get the guy with the Law.

But on the bright side it will be back.

Also just to say I'm new at thsi site , but I really like it , lots of good info on Macross and other mech base shows. :D

Sorry I wasn't tring to advertise , just simply pissed. But I'm glad to see alot of you visit Johns site SSM and the forums. Me I make a resin models , at least for the last 12 years. B)) But I havn't done any Marcross style model , although I would really like to do some the very cool ships. :p

chris

Hey Chris! Welcome to Macrossworld. B))

Here's the latest from Mrs. 1-0 (posted in another forum):

The SSM boards will be back soon. None of the data has been lost. It will be converted to the new board if at all possible. In the meantime, we plan to bring the old board back (maybe today but probably another day or two) in read-only mode so that you can get your private messages and any thread info that you can't live without..

After that, the old board will be converted to the new board and life will go back to normal.

I'm glad things are going back to normal, but I still feel rather angry at the attack. I think I'll go shot something now... need the practice for when the culprit becomes known. ;)

Edited by godfather

Sorry I wasn't tring to advertise , just simply pissed. But I'm glad to see alot of you visit Johns site SSM and the forums. Me I make a resin models , at least for the last 12 years. B)) But I havn't done any Marcross style model , although I would really like to do some the very cool ships. :p

chris

Welcome to MW. Hope you do decide to make some Macross stuff!

Godfather, what board did Linda post that on? I want to see if thye have have any more info in the next few days.

I've seen her posts at CultTVman's & Finescale's forums. There are also threads about this at ARC, PCmodeler & COM.

{snikt!}

Hey GF , did you see my Uller?

chris

www.Ravenstarstudios.com

Yes, and I take that's an elemental next to it?! B)) What's the scale, when will the kit become available and what's the price? :)

Also, the Northstar & Broadsword look pretty schweet. What's the scale on these?

Oh, and when are ya gonna make some 1/1400 ships again? That eh-veil, evil 1/2500 scale does not agree with my crappy eyesight. :lol:

Sorry I wasn't tring to advertise , just simply pissed. But I'm glad to see alot of you visit Johns site SSM and the forums.  Me I make a resin models , at least for the last 12 years.  B))  But I havn't done any Marcross style model , although I would really like to do some the very cool ships. :p 

chris

Welcome to MW. Hope you do decide to make some Macross stuff!

Yea dude! I'm all for that. :D

Edited by godfather