NEW series. Starship Operators.

UN Spacy

I'm watching it...but no fansubs of it out for the past 3 weeks.... <_<

What's it about?

Its about this galactic empire taking over everything....then there's this planet which got took over by it without putting up much resistance. This training starship on its orbit owned by this planet, with the help of insurrectors, managed to make the whole ship (consisting of pesky teenagers in the starship academy) to do what their government didn't do. To fight back.

So they decided to buy the ship by getting a sponsor from a galactic tv channel so that they drop all ties from their planet.....and in exchange they must allow the tv channel to broadcast their battles. So in other words, they have become a dog of the media. A reality show in every sense. Everyday they fight for their lives, the TV crew adds sound effects to their battles (no sound can be heard in space)...and taht's what i gather so far from the 4 episodes available.

Basically a group of cadets buy their starship after their home planet surrenders to a local expansionist empire without a fight and decide to wage their own war. In order to pay for this, they get a media corporation to sponser them, which means all their battles are televised. It's an excellent show with some very hard SF (FTL is about the only real exception). In fact, it's the only SF show I've ever seen with a warning sign before entering the spinning part of the ship that warns the crew to watch out for the corleolis effect. It also has a great explanation for sound in space (it's all a special effect added by the TV studio).

I'm watching it...but no fansubs of it out for the past 3 weeks....  <_<

ANBU has the first three episodes fansubbed. ;)

Lunar's done the first four and Anbu blows goats.

I know....like i said...no new eps fansubbed after 4 ...so it should be ep 7 by now. :(

Well, if it's lead by a group of teenagers it must be a success! <_<

Seriously, you think they'd actually have full-grown adults as the main anime stars every once and awhile. But the advertising-gimmick sound pretty humourous. Wonder if they can pull off some Nadesico-like jokes with that angle.

Why do they have to buy the starship if the planet has already been taken over by the Empire? Won't they be like erm, paying the Empire they are fighting against?

Because the "Empire" (the anime actually uses the word for kingdom) and the planet that got conquered are part of a larger galactic community with its own treaties and conventions of war. One of these is that the when a planet is taken over, its fleet is sold off.

Well, if it's lead by a group of teenagers it must be a success! <_<

Seriously, you think they'd actually have full-grown adults as the main anime stars every once and awhile. But the advertising-gimmick sound pretty humourous. Wonder if they can pull off some Nadesico-like jokes with that angle.

We're talking military cadets who were just about to graduate, so I think they're more young adults than teens. It also helps that the ship they're on was built by the previous political administration specifically to fight the kingdom. Thirdly, they haven't actually been involved in any fleet ingagements. In fact, the whole structure of the setting is in many ways archaic. The enemy ships all make a declaration of attack before engaging in one on one battle with the characters' ship. Likewise, the rules that let them buy the ship in the first place are reminiscent of all the weird treaties we had in the interwar period to try and control the size of navies.

It's a nice series, but so far (I'm up to 4), it doesn't quite hit the note.. hopefully in the near future.

Incidentally, this is based on a novel written by Mizuno Ryu IIRC... who incidentally wrote Record of Loddoss War. I was quite surprised when I saw his name in the credits.

ANBU has just released episodes 7 and 8. I'm downloading them while I post this!

I think i'll give up on Lunar and get Anbu's. How's Anbu's translation anyway?

Anbu's translation has traditionally been quite good. At the very least, their placement, colour coding etc. are very nice in this one.

Just watched the first two. Some innacuracies in ANBUs translation, but not bad ones at all, and mostly pertaining to clarifying cultural issues in terms that might not be perfectly clear if literally translated.

Liking the series a lot, so far, though. A bit remeniscent of Gundam SEED, reminds me a lot of the Archangel's combat sequences. Character design, acting, writing, and direction seem pretty good, though.

Oh, one element that bugs me, though. The characters stop and restart moving in mid-air relatively often. Unless their uniforms integrate some sort of manuvering device, there's no way this could happen. Even if they could some how stop in mid air, they'd be aimlessly flailing around trying to get moving again with nothing to push off of.

Edited by Commander McBride

I saw the second episode, but frankly found it very dry, not plodding along dry but boring dry. Some of the combat was mildly interesting in a technical sense and the characters nor the story grabbed my attention. Only thing actually interesting was the death of the workers. But hell you see enough Trek that you know red shirts are expendable.

Heck I even find the name flat and underwhelming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I managed to get a complete translated series. Overall....its so so. I liked the space battles and the strategic planning. There was lots of it. But this was done at the expense of character development. By the show's end, you can't even remember what each character was there for, what were their specialties nor their names. This was truly sad as the main character Shinon herself wasn't developed very well. Only thing we know about her was she's a control freak and a brilliant strategist.

Towards the end, lots of politics involved which was cool as well. I'd say the only thing that mar this series is the lack of character development.

I managed to get a complete translated series. Overall....its so so. I liked the space battles and the strategic planning. There was lots of it. But this was done at the expense of character development. By the show's end, you can't even remember what each character was there for, what were their specialties nor their names. This was truly sad as the main character Shinon herself wasn't developed very well. Only thing we know about her was she's a control freak and a brilliant strategist.

Towards the end, lots of politics involved which was cool as well. I'd say the only thing that mar this series is the lack of character development.

379231[/snapback]

Which sub group if you downloaded from a group?